History of Arbuckle, California
From: Colusa County
Its History Traced From A State of Nature
Through The Early Period of Settlement
And Development To The Present Day
By: Justus H. Rogers
Orland, California, 1891

ARBUCKLE.

This thriving business town, of about three hundred and fifty population, is located on the Northern Railroad twenty miles from Colusa and six miles from the Yolo County line. Its chief support is derived from the ranches of productive lands which lie around it. It was laid out and surveyed in 1875, and was called for T. R. Arbuckle, on whose ranch, then consisting of one thousand nine hundred acres, the town was built. He encouraged the creation of a new town here by giving lots to those who would build on them. The first building was erected by William Dalbrow and John Ward in 1875. The first train of cars entered the place July 4, 1876. A new district for the school was formed in 1877, and a school house erected, with Miss Annie Linton the first teacher. When the Postoffice was established, in 1876, T. R. Arbuckle became the first postmaster of the place. Its water supply is obtained from wells bored to a depth of from seventy to eighty feet, from which the water is pumped into tanks by windmills.

It possesses two handsome church edifices, the Presbyterian and the Methodist; and a fine large school building, which cost $6,000. Of secret orders there are four, represented with a flourishing membership. They are the Masonic, Odd Fellows, Daughters of Rebekah and the A. O. U. W. A well conducted weekly journal, called the Arbuckle Autocrat, published by the Taylor Bros., is no small factor in fostering the growth of the town.

Its places of business are listed as follows: General merchandise, four; drugs, one; gents' furnishing, one; fancy goods and millinery, one; livery, two; builders and contractors, two; lumber yard, one; agricultural implements, one; blacksmiths, two; harness shop, one; shoemaker, one; barbers, two; hotels, two; jewelry, one; baker shops, two; saloons, five; attorney and notary, One; physician, one; insurance agent, one; newspaper, one.


Return to [ California History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ California Biographies ]


California Counties at this web site - Colusa County - Contra Costa County - Imperial County - Marin County - Mendocino County - Napa County - Riverside County - San Mateo County - Santa Clara County - Solano County - Yolo County -


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy