BY J. B. TOLER
WHEN the traveler starts out to visit the great Imperial Valley, entering it from the west, his eyes rest first
upon the fertile lands adjacent to Seeley, the western gateway into this wonderland. Seeley is favorably located
on the California State Highway, which has been completed from the San Diego County line to the county seat nine
miles east, and also on the San Diego and Arizona Railway, which, in March, 1918, lacked only about twelve miles
of completion. It is the largest town on the west side, nearest the cooler mountain breezes and also to the San
Seeley is the center of a prosperous agricultural district, with numerous and diversified crops. Livestock, dairying,
hog raising and poultry raising are important industries. Cotton is grown quite extensively. The two gins located
here have handled about 2500 bales each year for the past two seasons, and a special gin is being erected to handle
the Egyptian varieties, of which there will be around 700 acres, principally Pima, planted here in 1918.
From a cluster of sand dunes in 1912 Seeley has made a steady growth, and now has a population of about 350 prosperous
people, with schools, churches, an active farm center and social organizations. Practically all trades are represented,
including a bank, drug store, physician, department store, grocery store, hardware store, hotel, garage, weekly
newspaper, meat market, restaurant, billiard parlor, barber shops, blacksmith shops, postoffice, depot and express
office. The town has electric service for light and power, telephone service, a city water system and all modern
improvements, and a host of loyal citizens who are always ready to welcome new enterprises and good citizens.