GEOGRAPHY. - San Antonio township is bounded on the north by Sonoma county, on the west by Tamales township,
on the south by Nicasio township, on the east by Novato township. The arroyo San Antonio is the only stream in
the township, and it is only a small creek. There were formerly two quite large lacunas in it, but they have been
drained lately, and are now in a high state of cultivation, yielding the finest of potatoes.
TOPOGRAPHY. - The general surface of this section is rolling, some ranges of hills, culminating in quite
high and sharp ridges. A great portion of it, however, is level enough for all practical purposes of farming, and
is especially well adapted for grazing. The valleys are quite wide, and extend for many miles in length, the principal
one of which is the Chileno.
SOIL. - The soil of San Antonio is generally a sandy loam, and well adapted to the growing of grass, grain
and vegetables. Some considerable grain is grown here, perhaps more than in any other township in the county. No
great amount of fruit is raised, but quite large areas of potatoes are planted every year.
CLIMATE. - The climate in San Antonio is generally mild and pleasant. It is far enough removed from the
sea to be free from the heavy fogs incident to the coast, and, is yet not so far but that the cool breezes pass
over it and reduce the temperature to a mild and pleasant condition. It is true that during the Summer season these
winds are at times very strong, but yet they are not disagreeable.
PRODUCTS - The products of this township do not vary much from the general county, except that more grain
and potatoes are raised here than elsewhere. The business of dairying is followed quite extensively, and a great
amount of butter is annually produced. While fruit trees and vines thrive well, but little attention is paid to
their cultivation, except here and there an orchard or vineyard.
TIMBER. - Timber is a very scarce article in this township; redwood and pine being altogether unknown, and
but little oak and laurel grows here.
EARLY SETTLEMENT. - The first prominent settlers were, evidently, Ramon Mesa and Bartolome Bojorques,
both of whom received grants of land from the Mexican government. They located in 1844 and 1845 respectively, and
were men of families. But little is now known of them farther than what can be gleamed from the descendants of
the latter. Nothing is known of their former life, except that they had lived in some of the southern settlements
previous to coming to Margin county. Among the early settlers of other nationalities may be mentioned Allen T.
Wilson, deceased, who came in 1853; and Andrew DeMartin, William Brown, deceased, and Elisha Light who came in
1855; and Charles Martin who came in 1856; and D. S. Frasier who came in 1859. Of course there are others, such
as Joshua Brackett, Pedro J. Vasquez, George N. Cromwall, Martin F. Gormley and others, but very little is known
of them now.
GRANTS. The Soulaj ulle rancho was granted to Ramon Mesa March 29, 1844, by Manuel Micheltorena. It was
a four league grant, and contained nine thousand four hundred and fifty one and ninety two one hundredths acres.
This rancho was subsequently confirmed to the following persons: Joshua S. Brackett, two thousand four hundred
and ninety two and nineteen one hundredths acres; Pedro J. Vasquez, three thousand seven hundred and seventy four
and twenty one hundredths acres; George N. Cromwall, nine hundred and nineteen and eighteen one hundredth acres;
and Martin F. Gormley, two thousand two hundred and sixty six and twenty five one hundredths acres. The rancho
Laguna de San Antonio was granted to Bartolome Bojorques, November 25, 1845, by Pio Pico. It was a six league grant
and contained twenty four thousand nine hundred and three and forty two one hundredths acres. It was confirmed
to the granter. The area of this once princely landed estate has dwindled down to only thirty acres. There are
quite a number of the descendants of this family living on this tract, which is known locally as " Spanish
SCHOOLS. There are three school districts in this township, viz: Chileno valley, San Antonio and Laguna.
The school houses are widely separated and the schools small, owing to the fact that the tracts of land are large
and families far removed from each other.
But little more remains to be said of San Antonio. It is removed from the general line of travel, and its citizens
are quiet, industrious and thriving, hence there is not so great a field for the historian to work in as in some
other townships. What little can be said, however, is good.