THIS township is situated in the extreme northwest of Marin, and is bounded on the north and east by Sonoma
county, on the south by San Antonio and Nicasio townships, and on the west by the Pacific ocean and Tomales bay.
STREAMS. - No section of country could be better irrigated, for water courses abound. The largest of these
is the Estero Americano on the extreme north, theEstero SanAntonio and Keys creek in the south, the latter of which
empties itself into Tomales bay.
TIMBER. - There is little or no timber, but a considerable undergrowth is to be found on many of the hills
and in the deep ravines.
TOPOGRAPHY. - The surface of the township is rough, and in many portions, but more particularly in the south,
it may be classed as almost mountainous, while the valleys, which are found only on the Sonoma county line and
near Tomales, are small though well favored.
MEXICAN GRANTS. - The ground now included within the township lines was originally divided into three Mexican
grants, namely, the Blucher in the north, the Bolsa de Tamales in the center, and the Nicasio in the south. The
first of these comprised thirteen thousand five hundred and ninety five acres and was patented to Orton Hubbell;
the second covered an area of no less than twenty one thousand three hundred and forty acres and was patented to
John Keys and others; while the last named, which contained ten thousand and seventy seven acres, was patented
to H. W. Halleck.
SOIL. - The soil is generally good, being a black, sandy loam, excepting that along the sea coast, where
the sand predominates.
CROPS. - The principal crops are oats, wheat, and potatoes, with some barley. The great staple product of
the county, however, is butter and cheese. No finer grazing lands can be found than in Marin, on whose hillsides
and in whose valleys may be seen numerous herds of cows, which supply the milk, to be turned into butter, and thereafter
taken to market in immense quantities and never failing regularity.
SETTLEMENT. - The first settler, other than those of Spanish origin, who located in Tomales township was
Thomas Wood, but better known in the district as Tom Vaquero. The exact date of his arrival is not now known, nor
may it be ascertained what were the motives which prompted him thus to isolate himself from kindred and from friends.
There are those who claim that he made his domicile in. these parts in 1846, and perhaps earlier, while others
declare that he accompanied Black, McIntosh and Dawson in 1835, but, leaving the country, returned in 1849. Old
settlers also vary in their opinions as to his nationality, some claiming that he was of English origin; and others
that he was Scotch; it is presumed, however, that he was a native of the State of New York, for he is so enrolled
on the voting register, information indubitably communicated by himself, while his stories as to whence he came
and in what manner of a ship it was from which he deserted, have considerable variance. We are informed by J. P.
Whitaker, a gentlemen of unquestionable veracity, that in a conversation held with Wood, he informed him that he
(Wood) came to the Pacific coast in a whaling vessel in 1846; that he returned to the Sandwich Islands in her,
and there shipped in a man-of-war in which he came back, and, in 7849, in company with five others, deserted and
settled here. So much for the opinions of early settlers in regard to the early history of this well known character;
this, however, is certain that he was brought up on the coast of America, and that his youth had been passed within
the sound of the tempestuous Atlantic, that he had run away from home and shipped in a whaling vessel and that
he had clung to the adventurous life of a sailor until he finally settled within the echo of the broad Pacific,
somewhere between the years 1840 and 1846. Wood is described as a man possessed of the frame of a giant and the
heart of a lion, with marvelous skill in horsemanship and unerring precision in hurling the riata, while as a fearless
and accomplished vaquero he stood unrivalled. Early in his residence he took to wife a winsome mohala of the Tomales
tribe of Indians, who having died, he espoused the adopted daughter of that well known and much respected pioneer,
James Black, in whom, we are told, he found a princely benefactor and tried friend.
So far we have been able to prosecute our researches into the days of '49; the year 1850 was one of much moment
to the township, for it was then that its settlement may be said to have assumed shape. The first to come and locate
were John Keys and Alexander Noble. Mr. Keys, who lived and died in Tomales, was a native of county Fermanagh,
Ireland, and came to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1841, from which city he moved to California in 1849, in company with
a Mr. Agnew, they bringing a stock of dry goods with them which they disposed of in San Francisco on arrival. Mr.
Keys, as was common with every one else, went to the mines, but remaining there only a short time he returned to
San Francisco and established himself in the commission trade. These occupations he continued until early in the
Spring of 1850, when he left that city for Bodega, proceeding by way of Sonoma, Petaluma and Tomales. On his journey
he discovered the creek which now bears his name, and made a mental note of the adaptability of the Tomales country
as a place of settlement. On attaining Bodega, he rented a parcel of land situated on the point of that name from
Captain Stephen Smith, there raised a crop of potatoes, which, after maturity, he shipped in a small schooner of
fifteen tons to market. This vessel was named the "Spray," of which we will hear more hereafter, as she
is intimately connected with the early history of the township. While sojourning at Bodega the suitableness of
the estuary of Keys creek as a shipping point, and the advantages offered as a farming country in the adjacent
lands was again brought forcibly to the recollection of Keys and his partner Noble; they therefore came to the
arrangement that they should return to that section and each take up land, with the specific idea of founding a
town and shipping port. This project they made no secret of—indeed it was the common talk among the settlers, several
of whom concocted the scheme of going overland to the district of which Keys had spoken and thus steal a march
on him That worthy old pioneer, Captain Smith, hearing of the plot informed Keys and Noble of its existence, on
which they started at once in a small open boat down Bodega bay, thence into that of Tomales, came up the estuary
mentioned above and landed somewhere near the point afterwards made famous by his schooner "Spray." The
first night he passed under a tree, now standing near the railroad, on the land owned by John Buchanan. We are
informed that Keys, in after life, was wont to refer to this adventurous voyage as one of extreme risk and which
he would not wish to repeat. On arrival Keys and Noble delayed not in staking out their claims and taking possession;
arrangements were in progress for a permanent occupation; a tent had been but barely erected when the jumping party
from Bodega were seen approaching over the brow of the ridge which divides the sea coast from the back country
they "sigh'd and look'd and sigh'd again" from very chagrin, and were forced to seek for fresh fields
and pastures new whereon to make their future homes.
The Keys settlement, we are informed by Mrs. Clark, than whom there are few more correct in their chronology, was
made as early as the month of September, 1850. Keys and his partner at once erected a shake shanty on the east
side of the creek,a full description of which will be found in the history of the town of Tomales, and both took
up claims. A few weeks thereafter their provisions gave out and none could be procured at a nearer point than San
Francisco, consequently it was incumbent that one of the men should proceed on that errand. It was, however, deemed
impolitic that the other should remain in solitude, therefore William, the son of Edward Clark, then residing in
the house of Jasper O'Farrell, in Bodega township, Sonoma county, was invited to keep Noble company during the
absence of Keys. "This circumstancd," says Mrs. Clark, "is what brought my husband to this township,
which took place in the last days of October, 1850." The Clarks settled on the farm now owned by James L.
Fallon. Mr. Clark was born in Ireland in 1838; he moved to England, and in March, 1850, %Ailed for California,
arriving in San Francisco July 3d of that year. They remained in that city but two days when they proceeded to
the residence of Jasper O'Farrell, and subsequently to Tomales township, as above stated. To Mrs. Alice Clark,
wife of Edward Clark, is the honor due of being the first Anglo-Saxon female settler in the district. Her husband
died July 15, 1868, while John Keys died August 14, 1873.
So far as we have been able to gather the above named were the only residents of the township up to 1851. In that
year the following persons took up a residence, some only to remain a short time. A. Mrs. King, with her two sons,
Daniel and Nathan, and two daughters, Mary and Hannah, settled at this time on the ranch now owned by Mrs. Thomas
McCune. Here the Kings remained only about four years and then moved to the southern part of the State. The eldest
daughter, Mary, became Mrs. William Miller in the Spring of 1852, Mrs. Clark thinks, which was the first marriage
in the township, other than that of Tom Wood alias Vaquero. Accompanying the King family at the time of their arrival
were two Missourians named John and Nathan Fletcher, who took up the land now in the possession of Robert Bailey
and where they lived until bought out by that gentleman in 1856. They then purchased property in another portion
of the township, but a few years since moved to the southern part of the State, one of them being now a resident
of Los Angeles county. In this year there also settled the Hon. Sanborn Johnson and his partner Lowell Webber.
We now come to the most important epoch in the settlement of Tomales, namely the year 1852. It is hoped that the
reader will not infer that it is intended to convey the idea that settlers were more numerous in this year than
any other. Such an inference would be at variance with our own feelings; what we wish to convey is, that during
this twelfth month more was done by those who had already settled to induce others to link their fortunes with
those of the township (with what success is best exems plified by the perfection of Tomales today) than at any
other time in it history. In giving the names of these pioneers it is not attempted to place them before the public
in any kind of sequence as regards the dates of their arrival—we simply reproduce the list as it was given us.
First is the name of Warren Dutton. He is a native of the State of New York; emigrated to California in 1849, and
came to this township, locating in Tomales in the month of September, 1852. Mr. Dutton came to Tomales to visit
one Thomas Garrett, who had already located there. That he has been one of her most enterprising men cannot be
better illustrated than by referring the reader to the history of Tomales. In this year there also arrived a German
named Adolph Gericke, who settled on San Antonio creek on land owned by James Black. With the exception of Seventeen
months passed in Sonoma county Mr. Gericke has been a continuous resident of the township. Paul Murphy, a native
of Ireland, also came here in 1852, took up land, and has since been a permanent settler. He now resides in the
village of Tomales. Besides these came Hugh Marshall. Of the names of those who have been residents, but who have
left, we are told of William Devery, Dr. Workman, and Mr. Goodman; while there was also Mr. Wheeler, who settled
on the ranch now owned by John Griffin, where he erected a blacksmith shop. which was, without doubt, the first
establishment of the kind in the township.
Of the settlers who came in 1853 we have the names of Jeremiah Ladd Blake, a native of Merrimac county, New Hampshire,
who came to Tomales bay, accompanied, both to the State and this township, by his friend, Thomas R. Cook, and camped
about half a mile north from his present farm. Mr. Blake, we are safe in asserting, was the first saddler in the
township, for on arrival he erected a cabin sixteen by twenty feet, which he used as a saddle manufactory and dwelling
combined. N. J. Prince, a gentleman from Cumberland county, Maine, who now lives on Tomales bay, settled on a ranch
on the Bloomfield road, north east of Tomales, in February of this year. J. P. Whitaker, of Hamilton, Ohio, located
on his present ranch on the north side of the Estero San Antonio; while S. A. and James Marshall came this year.
John Buchanan, born in county Antrim, Ireland, settled on the Dr. G. W. Dutton ranch in April of that year; he
now resides at a short distance west from Tomales. A native of Niagara county, New York, named John James, whose
land borders on Keys creek, south of Tomales, then took up his abode on land now occupied by A. Woodworth. H. P.
McCleave, a native of Nantucket, Massachusetts, settled on the ranch now owned by S. H. Church in the Spring of
this year, while his father in law, Joel Harvey, from Vermont, who died in Sonoma county a few years ago, located
near to the place now owned by Mr. McCleave. L. W. Walker, from Madison county, New York, now of San Antonio township,
settled on that stream now known as Walker's creek; Joseph Huntley, from Washington county, Maine, and L. Vanorsdel
also came in this year. During this and the following year (1854) farming became general, the raising of potatoes
being the principal crops produced by the settlers; other products were, however, grown though only, to a small
extent. Of the settlers who arrived in the township in 1854, those with whom we have conversed are Alexander Bean,
Luke Fallon, George Bunn, and A. S. Marshall. Thomas Carruthers, who came in this year, committed suicide by hanging
himself in his barn on October 17, 1879. He was a native of England, having been born there in 1829. He came to
America in 1842 and settled in Lockport, New York; leaving that State, however, he moved to Peoria, Illinois, in
1853, but remaining there only a few days, he, in company with John James and L. W. Walker, emigrated to California
and settled, first, on the farm now owned by A. Woodworth, and afterwards, in partnership with Mr. James, under
the firm name of "Tom and Jack," took the land now known as the Carruthers ranch.
In the Summer of 1855 James E., son of John C. Calhoun, accompanied by a son of Governor Wise and District Attorney
Haralson, paid a short visit to John Keys, Warren Dutton and John Buchanan in the little shanty already described
as having been built by the first named gentleman on his coming to the township. It would appear that Calhoun and
Wise had formerly been acquainted with Keys, and no doubt the strangers were made royally welcome by the three
bachelor hosts in their primitive dwelling. Of those who now reside in the township who came in this year we are
only able to record the names of Hon. George W. Burbank from Massachusetts, and O. Hubbell from New York.
In the year 1856 there came George Dillon, John Grin, Andrew Manning, Robert Bailey, Joseph Irvin and Aaron M.
Turner. In 18.57, T. A. Thornby, William Vanderbilt, now county assessor, W. D. Freeman, James McCausland and William
McGreevy. In 1858, P. Norton, Abijah Woodworth, James McDonald, O. W. Turner, Hans Guldager and William McCausland.
In 1859, Hon. Thomas J. Ables, Andrew Doyle, J. L. Fallon, Michael Kirk, who, however, settled in San Rafael in
1831, and D. B. Burbank. In 1860, Reed Dutton, G. W. Dutton, M.D., and William Rowland. In 1861, J. H. Punier.
In 1862, C. T. Thompson and Benjamin Harrington. In 1863, Michael Hagerty and S. H. Church. In 1864, Louis Guldager,
Peter Morrissy, Robert Molseed and John B. Guay; and in 1865, Charles Howard, Henry Lindeman and W. R. Fairbanks.
In 1866, F. W. Holland.
TOMALES. This town was first settled by John Keys and Alexander Noble in 1850, who both took up tracts of
land; Noble, however, a few years later sold his interest to Keys, and left for the Southern States. On September
1, 1852, Warren Dutton located a claim adjoining that of Keys and Noble, where he commenced farming. Mr. Dutton,
who had previously been engaged in mercantile pursuits, made a proposition to Keys that they should conjointly
open a trading post, the latter to furnish nine hundred dollars and the former to conduct the business. The arrangement
meeting with the views of both parties was duly consummated and the first store in Tomales township opened in the
Spring of 1854, while the enterprise was carried on in a rough building, which had previously been erected by Keys
at the head of tide water and navigation, being the site now occupied by the new Keys' warehouse on the debouchure
known as Keys creek.
The first house built in the town was that of John Keys, and situated on the creek near the residence of F. H.
Lang. It was a small shake shanty, and in it Keys and Dutton, after they had entered into partnership, kept bachelor's
hall. In the course of time, A. S. Marshall and wife came to keep house for them, and were the first family to
settle in the place. In June, 1865, Keys employed John LaCrosse, a surveyor of San Francisco to plot out certain
portions of his lands as a town site, while a like duty was performed by County Surveyor, Hiram Austin in April,
1868. The first house erected on the addition made by Warren Dutton was built in the Fall of 1856, and used as
an hotel by William Davis, but afterwards occupied by Mr. Dutton as a residence; it is now the dwelling of F. W.
Holland. In 1864, Dutton erected a store of stone, which was for many years used as a place of business; the edifice
is now in the occupancy of Kowalsky & Co. The partnership between Keys and Dutton existed for three years and
a half, when the latter sold out his interest to the former.
It has been shown that John Keys came to Tamales in the year 1850 in a small boat, and that at that time he was
the owner of the schooner "Spray." He erected a small warehouse at the confluence of Dutton's and Keys'
creeks, on what is now known as Stony Point. Properly speaking this sheet of water is a small estuary leading from
the creek flowing into Tomales bay and running north, Stony. Point being a short distance to the rear of Mrs. Keys'
dwelling At present there are all the indications of an old road as well as a few pieces of timber to mark the
From this point did the "Spray" take on board passengers and whatever produce there was to be shipped
to San Francisco by the settlers, but this was not her only route, for we are informed on the most reliable authority
that she also made voyages to the adjacent port of Bodega, in Sonoma county; yet how long she continued to perform
this service, or what became of her, we have been unable to gather. She was succeeded by a small vessel called
the "Elk," built by Keys, which was used to tow the laden lighters to a steamer, whose size precluded
her penetrating to the shallow point whereon the warehouse was situated. This craft afterwards went on shore in
the creek where she was purchased by Dr. McLean as she lay in the mud, who sent her machinery to San Francisco
and disposed of it there as old iron. The "Monterey" made trips up the estuary as far as the point where
the railroad now crosses that body of water, about three miles below Tamales, and where Warren Dutton had constructed
a large warehouse. The present residince of A. Huff, at Hamlet, was also built there and opened as an hotel; it
was, however, subsequently moved on lighters to the situation on which it now stands.
When the railroad made its appearance all traffic in that direction ceased, so that to day all that remains of
the former places of shipment are a few pieces of lumber, as well as some posts intended to indicate where these
structures once stood. Caused by the debris brought down from the mountain, the estuary is fast, filling up, and
long ere another quarter of a century shall have come and gone, naught but tradition will remain to point out the
shipping, the harbor or Keys creek.
The first school was taught in 1857 by Henry Ashley, while the first postoffice was established as long ago as
April 12, 1854, the incumbent being Valentine Bennett.
In August, 1878, a fire was discovered in a large building used as a hotel, etc., on the corner of Main. and First
streets. Before it could be stopped it had devoured the hotel, together with the Bank of Tomales, Dr. G. W. Dutton's
store, a watchmaker's store, and a warehouse, the latter owned by Mr. Kowaisky. The conflagration was supposed
to be the work of an incendiary.
The growth of the little town has not been great, yet, though small, it has its advantages. It is possessed of
a beautiful school building which stands on an eminence overlooking the town; and the two churches, with their
large congregations, earnest and devout ministers, in themselves bespeak a refined and desirable condition of society.
The conterminous country is varied in its scenery, while the drives in the environs, especially those following
the bank of the estuary to the bay, and that to the coast are such as should please the most exacting reveler in
TOMALES PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Prior to the year 1870 Presbyterian service was held in Tomales at irregular
intervals. In the beginning of the year 1870 many persons expressed a desire to erect a suitable place for public
worship; and, in accordance with this desire, the work of building a house of worship was begun, even before the
formal organization of a:society took place.
Messrs. Warren Dutton, Thomas McCune, G. W. Burbank, and Robert Bailey acted as trustees in charge of the work.
During the year 1870 a fine church edifice was completed at a cost of four thousand five hundred dollars. Unfortunately
the building took fire and was totally destroyed two days before the time appointed for its dedication. This was
a great loss but a noble, generous people were not to be discouraged, and with a zeal and energy worthy of the
highest praise, they set immediately to work to erect another
The second building was erected upon the foundation of the former one, and was completed in 1871 at a cost of
three thousand five hundred dollars. On the 24th of July, 1871, according to previous notice, the citizens of Tomales,
Marin county, State of California, met for the purpose of organizing a Presbyterian church. The following paper
was presented and read:—
We whose names are hereunto affixed having strong desires to see the cause of our Lord Jesus Christ prospering
in our midst, and believing the above object can be the better accomplished by the organization of a Christian
church, do hereby unite in requesting the Rev. a H. Crawford to organize us into a Presbyterian church, to be known
as the First Presbyterian Church of Tomales, under the care of the Presbytery of Benicia and Synod of the Pacific."
The Rev. R. McCulloch assisted in the above organization. The church consisted of nineteen members at the organization
John McCausland, Rachel McCausland, James Raye, Elizabeth Raye, Mrs. Esther Allen, D. Stevenson, Mrs. Paulina Burbank,
John Holland, Mary Holland, Joseph Irvin, Anna Irvin, John Buchanan, Janet Buchanan, John Wilson, Christina Wilson,
Mrs. Mary G. Ables, Mrs. J. M. Dutton. John McCausland and James Raye were elected Ruling Elders. Messrs. Warren
Dutton, Thomas McCune, George Burbank, Robert Bailey and Joseph Irvin were elected Trustees. The first minister
in charge of the church was Rev. C. M. Crawford. He came September, 1871. He continued in charge until the Spring
of 1874, when he was succeeded by Rev. H. R. Avery, who was called in May, 1874, and remained one year. On November
21, 1875, the Rev. Robert Scrimgeour was called as pastor, and served the church until the Spring of 1878. After
his departure the church was vacant until November, 1878, when Rev James White took the field and remained until
August, 1879. After his departure the church was left without either minister or elders until October 13, 1879,
when Rev. J. M. Dinsmore was called and continues in charge at the present time. In November, 1879, Arthur Patterson
and Josias Rock were chosen Ruling Elders. The church has a flourishing Sabbath School in connection with it, under
the direction of Arthur Patterson. They also erected a large and comfortable parsonage in the year 1872. Such is
a brief history of the First Presbyterian Church of Tomales, and let us hope that her successes in the past may
be but the harbingers of greater successes in the future.
TAMALES LODGE, No. 233, I. O. O. F.—Was instituted July 1, 1875, the charter members being John Cook, Warren
Dutton, William Vanderbilt, John Parker, A. Little, Thomas M. Johnson, and Thomas J. Abels. They have a large,
well furnished room, situated over the store of A. Kahn, the same being on Block —, Lot —, in Dutton's Addition
to Tomales. The Past errands are Thomas J. Abels, Samuel M. Augustine, P. Burns, F. W. Holland, Thomas M. Johnson,
O. F. Keim, William Vanderbilt, John Wilson and A. Kahn. The total membership is forty three, while the officers
for the term ending June 30, 1880, are G. W. Dutton, N. G.; F. A. Plank, V. G.; F. W. Holland, Treasurer; L. Bonneau,
THE BANK OF TOMALES.— This institution was organized under the general incorporation laws of the State of
California, on June 30, 1875, by application of E. H. Kowalsky, Warren Dutton, Thomas J. Abels, John Griffin, and
George Bunn, for articles of incorporation to carry on in the village of Tomales, Marin county, California, a bank
of discount, deposit, loan in short a general banking business the authorized capital stock to be one hundred thousand
dollars, divided into one thousand shares of one hundred dollars each. The number of shares subscribed for is as
under: Warren Dutton, sixty eight shares; C. R. Arthur, M. C. Meeker & Bro., ten shares each; T. J. Ables,
Joseph Kidd, D. Thrasher, A. P. Gayer and William Rowland, forty four shares each; Thomas Carruthers, fifty eight
shares; James McCausland and A S Marshall, forty five shares each; H. Hitchcock, seventy five shares; John Griffin,
G. W. Burbank and H E Lawrence. fifty shares each; E. Newburg, fourteen shares; John Giberson, twenty nine shares;
E. H. Kowalsky and L. C. Woodworth, seventy three shares each; B. F. Tilton and E. R. Harmes, thirty shares each.
On September, 15, 1875, six hundred and eighty shares had been subscribed for, and an assessment of fifty per cent.
upon the subscribed stock levied, with which amount the bank was opened for business on September 27, 1875. Previous
to this date a lot had been purchased of W. Dutton, (lot No. nineteen, block five, of the village of Tomales, fronting
on Main street and adjoining the Metropolitan Hotel on the south) and a contract let to Joseph Kidd for the erection
of a wooden building with vault, which, when completed and furnished with a safe and furniture, cost the corporation
four thousand nine hundred and sixty three dollars and fifty six cents, which amount was paid out of the first
assessment alluded to above, leaving a balance of twenty nine thousand and thirty six dollars and forty four cents,
with which amount the bank opened its doors to the public. The first officers were Warren Dutton. President, and
Thomas J. Ables, Cashier, who were elected to their positions by the Directors.
The Directors met for the first time in the bank on December 30, 1875. Thomas J. Ables having been elected cashier,
recigned his position as director, which was accepted and an election thereupon held, to fill the vacancy, when
Hollis Hitchcock was duly installed. At this meeting an assessment was made of ten per cent. upon the subscribed
capital, making a total of sixty per cent. A special meeting of the stockholders was held, April 1, 1876, when
a motion was made and carried that the stock not already taken up, namely, three hundred and twenty shares, be
apportioned amongst those at present holding stock in proportion to the amount of stock held by each, fractions
arising from such divisions eight shares to be taken, voluntarily, by those desiring such shares. Additional stock
was therefore issued in accordance with this motion, and an assessment of ten per cent. levied upon it on the same
day. The second assessment of ten per cent. upon the new stock was levied May 2, 1876; the first regular meeting
of the stockholders was held June 3, 1876, at which the same Board of Directors was elected, and at a subsequent
hour, President Warren Dutton and Cashier Thomas J. Ables were re-installed. At this meeting a third assessment
of ten per cent. was levied upon the new issue of stock; a fourth on October 28, 1876; a fifth on February 24,
1877, and the sixth levy of ten per cent. on March 31, 1877, bringing the new issue of stock up to the same figure
as the old, namely, sixty per cent., and making in all, the amount paid up to be sixty thousand dollars. Since
that time, no more assessments have been made, but the earnings of the bank have been allowed to accumulate until
now, March 15, 1880, the surplus aggregates over thirty thousand dollars. The second regular annual meeting was
held June 2, 1877, when Warren Dutton, George Bunn, John Griffin, Hollis Hitchcock and H. E. Lawrence were elected
Directors. Messrs. Dutton and Ables being again installed as President and Cashier.
At 3 A. M. of August 17, 1877, the Metropolitan Hotel, the bank and three other buildings were totally destroyed
by fire, and so rapid was the destruction, that of the effects of the bank, unenclosed in the vaults, only three
hundred dollars worth was saved. The books, papers, specie, etc., were uninjured. At a special meeting of the Directors
held, September 8, 1877, it was decided that a new edifice should be erected, while the vault which had done such
good service in protecting its contents during the fire, was included in the new structure. W. Dutton and G. W.
Burbank were appointed a committee to award contracts, superintend the construction and accept the building from
the contractor, when in their judgment it had been completed in accordance with the plans and specifications filed
for that purpose. It was then decided that the bank buildings should be of brick, the contract for which was let
to Joseph Kidd at one thousand nine hundred and forty dollars, which was accepted by the committee, December 25,
1877. The third annual meeting of the stockholders was convened, June 1, 1878, and the old Board of Directors re-elected,
when also were re-instated, Messrs. Dutton and Ables in their offices of President and Cashier. The same Directors
were once more elected at the fourth annual meeting held, June 7, 1879, when, by a statement made by the Cashier,
the stock was shown to be worth eighty five dollars and nineteen cents per share. Messrs. Dutton and Ables were
again elected to the positions held by them since the organization of the bank. No dividends have been declared
by this institution, and probably none will be until after the accumulations added to the paid up capital bring
the shares up to par value.
NORTH PACIFIC COAST RAILROAD COMPANY. Work was commenced on the above road in this township immediately
below the small tunnel west from the depot, the labor being proceeded with in opposite directions. This was for
the purpose of letting out the produce from the town of Tamales, shipping via boats from Tomales bay, which was
done before the entire completion of the road to San Rafael. The first train to take goods left the warehouse on
December 3, 1874; the first consignor was James Fallon, who sent to market three hundred sacks of potatoes. In
the Fall of this year, 1874, Warren Dutton had erected the present warehouse, seventy by three hundred feet, through
the entire length of which is a sunken railroad track the floor being on a level with that of the car, so that
goods can be loaded on the cars with ease, and inside the warehouse. Mr. Dutton afterwards sold the buildings to
the railroad company. The first shipment other than potatoes was made December 10, 1875, by P. Norton, and was
one hundred and forty sacks of oats. In January 1875, the telegraph line was completed, and on the 16th of that
month the first paid message was that of Miss Kate Griffin. The first shipment made over the road to San Francisco
via San Rafael was on January 8, 1875, by Kowalsky & Co., the freight being fourteen boxes of butter. The first
station agent was Warren Dutton, with Frank Crawford as telegraph operator, both entering on their duties on January
12, 1875. Dutton was succeeded by R. E. Payne, and he by A. A. Sprague, who took charge in 1877. H. D. Polhemus,
the present holder, is the next in line, his record dating from May 10, 1877. In the month of January, 1875, the
residents had a grand dinner in the warehouse at the depot, in honor of the advent of the railroad. The instigator
of the fete was said to have been Warren Dutton. Special trains were run from San Rafael on the occasion, and people
from all parts of the State were present to do justice to the viands which had been laid out on a table the entire
length of the warehouse, three hundred feet—such were the inaugural ceremonies of the North Pacific Coast Railroad
HOTELS. Union Hotel. This hotel was built by Michael Hagerty in the year 1863, and is located on Block four,
Lot fourteen, the same being on the corner of Main and First streets. The main building is in the shape of an L,
two stories high, sixteen by sixty, and twenty four by twenty four feet respectively. Mr. Hagerty has been the
owner and proprietor from the start to the present time.
Plank House. This establishment was erected and is still owned by J. Z. Worth, who commenced operations on July
18, 1879. The main building fronts on First street, and is two stories in height, with wings on either side one
story high. To the rear of the wing on the east is the kitchen. The building is situated on Block five, and a portion
of Lots nine and fifteen. F. A. Plank leased the property from Mr. Worth and opened it as a hotel on November 1,
1879, and has continued its proprietor to the present time.
TOMALES CHEESE FACTARY. This enterprise was established by J. Payne in the Fall of 1875. The main building
is thirty by sixty feet, with wings on either side fifteen by sixty, and an engine room at the rear fifteen by
twenty five feet. The main building is two and a half stories high; directly in front of and attached to it is
a receiving room. The first or ground floor of the principal structure is used as the manufacturing and press room,
and on the upper floor is the curing room. The eastern wing is used for grinding feed, where there is a mill for
that purpose; and the western is divided into office and butter room, in the latter of which it is worked, moulded
and packed. The engine is an upright of six horse power, with a boiler of ten horse power. When the factory is
run to its fullest capacity it is capable of turning out two and a half tons of cheese per day. In May, 1876, Mr.
Payne relinquished his claim to the instituton to a stock company, who conducted it till December, 1877, when F.
H. Lang and J. M. Haskins bought it, and in the following June disposed of a one third interest to Leslie Hoag,
In November, 1879, Mr. Lang bought the interest of Haskins and Hoag and has since been its sole proprietor.
CARRIAGE AND WAGON MANUFACTARY LOUIS Guldager. This establishment is situated on the corner of Fourth avenue
and E street. Mr. Guldager commenced the business in 1864 in the building which he now occupies. It is a two story
frame, facing the south, and is used principally as the wood department, with Michael Murphy as workman and proprietor.
There is an L entending west from the main building which is one story in height, of wood, in which the iron work
is done, over which Mr. Guldager presides and is the proprietor. Although the wood and iron shops have separate
proprietors, yet the manufactory is carried on as if it were one concern. The enterprise gives employment to four
men, and occasionally six, during the entire year.
PUBLIC HALL Was erected in the year 1874 on Block seventeen, Lot twenty two, by the Tomales Temperance Social
Club. The building is of wood, thirty by seventy feet, with a stage for the use of dramatic societies. The trustees
of the Club were Dr. G. W. Dutton, Thomas Carruthers and S. C. Percival, to whom the property is now deeded in
trust, the remaining trustees Dr. Dutton and Percival holding the deed notwithstanding the disbanding of the society.
The entire cost of the building was fourteen hundred dollars.
MARSHALLS. This town is situated on the line of the North Pacific Coast Railroad, on the edge of Tomales
bay, and at the base of the high bluffs which rise behind its single row of houses. As will be seen on reference
to the county map it is located at the extreme southern portion of Tomales township.
In the year 1867, John Wightman, Jr., established the first store at this place, in a building on the Petaluma
road, above the ground now occupied by the village. By him the business was conducted for five years, at the end
of which he was succeeded by E. O. Stratton, who in turn gave place to J. S. Belirude, who transferred the interests
to Ford & Kowalsky, by the latter of whom the trade is now carried on. Charles Howard established a mercantile
firm in the town on May 17, 1877, which, with the establishment mentioned above are the only emporiums in the place.
There is one hotel, built by Marshall Brothers in 1870, which, after having been rented at several intervals for
store and hotel purposes, is now kept as a hostelry by P. J. Peterson. A good and commodious depot building was
erected by the North Pacific Coast Railroad Company in 1876. The first ticket agent was A. B. Robbins, who was
succeeded in 1876 by A. W. Dutton, the present incumbent, who is also the first agent appointed here by Wells,
Fargo Co. The town is represented by two stores, one hotel, one shoe and blacksmith shop, and postoffice, which
was established February 6, 1872, with Eugene L. White as postmaster.