GEOGRAPHY. - Arena township is bounded on the north by Big River township; on the east by Anderson township;
on the south by Sonoma county; and on the west by the Pacific ocean. Like all the townships of Mendocino county,
the boundary line is very irregular, following the contours of the ocean shore, or some stream, while in many places,
through the heart of the mountains, the surveyor's chain is an unknown factor in the establishment of the boundaries,
they being known to assessors and judicial officers by "meets and bounds," rather than by any absolute
measurement. There are several streams in this township, which are of importance only to the lumbermen who use
them for driving logs. Along the south boundary is the Gualala river (which name was originally Valhalla), a stream
which, with its branches, extends into the heart of a very extensive and valuable body of redwood timber. Farther
to the northward, the Garcia river comes down out of the mountains, on which, with its branches, there is a very
extensive body of timber The smaller streams are Brush, Alder, and Elk creeks. All of these streams discharge their
waters into the Pacific ocean, and become furious rivers during the winter freshets.
TOPOGRAPHY. - Topographically this township presents many features in common with the other sections of
Mendocino county. Along the ocean shore there is a plateau extending back to the mountains, varying in width from
a few hundred yards to several miles. To the eastward of this mesa the country becomes broken and elevated, culminating
in a range of mountains, which is pierced transversely with streams, flowing through gorges, canons, and valleys,
many of which are deep and narrow, having almost perpendicular sides.
SOIL. - The soil of this section varies, owing to the location, from the sandy loam of the plateau to the
gravelly and clayey soils of the mountain sides. The loam is well adapted to the growing of grains and vegetables,
especially potatoes. The mountain soil is adapted to grain and fruits, and, but for the fogs incident to the coast,
grapes would thrive well.
CLIMATE. - The climate of Arena is certainly not the most delightful in the world during the summer season,
but it is on a par with the climate along the immediate coast of California. The trade winds prevail during all
the summer months, which come in from off the ocean laden with moisture, and seem to penetrate the very marrow
of strangers who are unaccustomed to the climate, but those who are acclimated, enjoy this cooling breeze very
much. But these fogs are the salvation of the country, as far as crops are concerned, for they serve the purposes
of irrigation. There are times when the sun remains hidden from view for many days at a time, being obscured by
massive fog banks which roll up from the sea, but usually the fog comes in about 3 o'clock in the afternoon and
continues till 9 or 10 o'clock the next day. Oftentimes, when all is under the shadow of a veritable cloud along
the sea shore, one can look to the eastward and discover the distant mountain tops bathed in a flood of mellow,
golden sunlight, making a very pretty background to the picture thus presented.
PRODUCTS. - The products of this section are varied, but are confined principally to the cereals and vegetables.
Wheat and oats do very well here, but barley is stained by the fogs, and while it makes good feed, it is not at
all marketable, and entirely unfitted for brewing purposes. Oats grow very rank, and make excellent feed for horses.
For hay, they grow the musquit grass, which is very similar in many respects to the timothy grown in the Eastern
States, although it does not look like it, resembling much more the "red top" of the Mississippi valley.
It grows very rankly and is relished very much by stock for food. All the vegetables thrive here, especially tubers,
which are grown very extensively throughout the township, forming one of the principal articles of export, there
being one thousand and forty two bags of them shipped over the Point Arena wharf during the last year Other vegetables
do very well, but owing to the distance to market, and their perishable nature, but few of them are grown, beyond
the demand for home consumption.
But the chief products of the section which are exported are lumber, posts, ties, and tan bark, and of each of
these there is a large yearly yield. There are several saw mills in the township, a statement of the yearly yield
of each of which will be found under the head of "Mills," and which aggregates up into the millions of
feet. Large quantities of redwood fence posts and railroad ties are yearly cut in the woods, and find their way
to the city market over the various chutes which are constructed along the coast, and it may be remembered here
that there are more chutes in this township in proportion to the mileage of ocean frontage than in any other township
along the coast, which would indicate that there was a large demand for their use, occasioned by the large annual
shipments of these products of the redwood forests. Two other products of the woods are cord wood and fence pickets,
but these are of secondary importance, yet they afford employment for many men in the aggregate, and yield yearly
a handsome revenue. The industry of cutting tan bark is extensively conducted, and yields at times very handsome
returns. Fruits are not very prosperous here, but berries thrive well, especially wild blackberries, which grow
in great numbers in the woods.
TIMBER. - The timber of this section is not excelled in California, and there are several varieties which
are very useful in the domestic economy of mankind, while some are useless entirely. Of the former class the redwood
stands first and foremost. Beginning at the southern boundary line on the Gualala river, there are very large bodies
of this timber, extending from almost the very banks of the ocean back across the entire township. This belt extends
northward with but little interruption, and with an almost uniform width to the limits of the township. The next
timber in point of importance here is the white fir, which is commonly known as the Oregon pine. The quality of
this timber is excellent, but unfortunately the quantity is quite limited. There are here and there a few sugar
pine trees, while quite a body of them can be found on the ridges to the eastward of the Garcia river and near
its source, but which is almost inaccessible, at present at least. The laurel tree ranks next perhaps in value,
there being quite a number of them near the head waters of the Garcia and Gualala rivers. The grain of the wood
is so peculiarly formed, and is susceptible of so high a polish that it is greatly prized by the artisans in wood.
The chestnut oak is a very valuable tree, not so much for its wood as its bark, as it is from this tree that the
tan bark is obtained. The wood itself, however, makes good fire wood, and is cut and shipped extensively. Of the
kinds which are of no particular use the "bull" pine stands first and foremost, but almost on a par with
it is the red fir. The former is scraggy and ill favored, and but little could possibly be expected of it, but
the latter is as pretty a tree as ever grew in a forest. It stands as straight as an arrow, and has a smooth, light
colored bark. Its limbs are smooth and lithe, and very much indeed would naturally be expected from it, if one
were to judge by outward appearances; but when it, is cut it proves to be very coarse grained, and it rots very
fast, one season being usually ample time for decay to make great inroads into the log.
EARLY SETTLEMENT. - Away back in the days of the Spanish regime, Rafael Garcia, a resident of Marin county,
and, in fact, the first man who ever lived with a family in that county, was granted nine leagues of land, beginning
at the Gualala river and extending northward to the Mal Paso creek. Garcia had spent the greater portion of his
life in the service of his country, and hence was entitled, as a kind of soldiers' bounty, to eleven leagues of
land. Two of them were located at what is now Olema, in Marin county, and the others were located here; hence the
title which he gave to this place - "Rancho del Norte" - the ranch at the north. There was some informality
about the papers, and the courts finally threw it out, but there can be no doubt that it was originally a bona
fide grant; and had things remained under the Mexican regime, he would have had no trouble in holding the grant.
In Garcia's day he had large bands of cattle here, and always kept a mayor domo in charge; Charles A. Lauff, now
residing in Bolinas, Marin county, is the only one we know anything of. He was there in 1851, and all his helpers
were Indians, hence all of his associates were of that race. Being a Frenchman and a sea faring man, he had the
hauteur of the former and the bluff style of the latter, hence he was not regarded by the Indians with whom he
had to dear as a very amiable man; and, unfortunately, for him and for those under him, he engendered their strongest
hatred. As a result of this feeling one of them attempted to destroy his life with strychnine The poison had been
brought upon the premises for the purpose of destroying wild animals, and was kept buried in one corner of the
cabin. It was not known that a soul knew of its whereabouts save Lauff himself. One night he came in late, and
taking down a pan of milk from the shelf proceeded to make his evening meal from it and bread. After finishing
his supper he sat awhile, and finally rose to light his pipe. Upon arising he found that a sudden weakness had
come over him, and that his breath came very short indeed, and a queer sensation, unlike any he had ever experienced
seemed to pervade Ms entire being. He went to the door to get fresh air, and fell on the sill. Here he lay perfectly
powerless and motionless all night, although he was possessed of all his faculties and senses. The Indian whom
he had reason to suspicion of the deed was lying on a bench in the room during the time that Mr. Lauff was eating
the milk, apparently asleep. When he had fallen to the ground the Indian paid no attention to him, but pretended
to sleep on until far into the night, when he became satisfied that the drug had done its work, from the fact that
his victim had lain motionless so long; and stealthily arose and fled the country, thoroughly expecting the morning
light would reveal the fearful effect of his administration of the fatal bane. At the near approach of dawn, however,
the vital forces began to overcome the effect of the poison, and he was able to get up and go to bed, where he
fell into a profound slumber, and slept till very late in the day, when he found the effect of the drug had about
disappeared. It was a very fortunate circumstance for Mr. Lauff that the poison was administered in milk, which
of itself is a good antidote for it. In the course of a few days the Indian returned, and was greatly surprised
to meet his victim face to face. Lauff caught him with a riata and lashed him to a tree, and applied the braided
end of the horse hair rope to the bared back of the offender much after the fashion of plying the "cat-o'-nine-tails"
on ship board. He then turned him loose, with blood trickling down to his very heels, and told him to run for his
life as he intended to shoot him if possible. That the Indian ran with all the speed he possessed there can be
no doubt, and the bullets which went whistling around his head added much to the celerity of his movements. Although
Lauff took good aim at every shot, none took effect as far as he knew, but he never saw that Indian again, and
all the rest under his charge remained very submissive and quiescent during the remainder of his stay on the rancho.
The ranch house was situated on the north side of the Garcia river, and near the present residence of J. A. Hamilton;
and was, doubtless, the first house of any kind in the township, being erected as early as 1850 and, probably,
before. It was a small affair built of wood.
Rafael Garcia disposed of his claim to the Rancho del Norte to Don Jose Leandro Luco, for the sum of $10,000, and
Mart T. Smith, now a resident of Ten mile River township, and Dr. J. G. Morse, the pioneer, physician of this township,
came to the rancho as agents under the new regime, which was in 1858. We will follow out the history of this grant
now, so that it may be all presented at one view. This grant was made by M. Micheltorena in 1844. When the matter
came before the Land Commissioners, in 1852, they rejected the claim on the ground that the grant had never been
confirmed by the Departmental Assembly of the Mexican Government. In 1857-8, the case was taken to the United States
District Court for the Northern District of California, and the claim was confirmed, and the grant declared valid.
The United States Attorney General appealed the case to the Supreme Court of the United States, and the decision
of the lower Court was reversed, and the land declared to be Government. This final decision was made in 1861,
and ended a long and vexatious controversy, and was especially beneficial to the settlers, but a severe loss to
Luco. As stated above, there can be no doubt but that the grant was intended to be valid; and it is positively
known that grants were confirmed which were far more faulty in their title than this one; but in those matters
it was a well known secret that money was an important factor in the confirmation or rejection of those grants;
and unfortunately for Luco, he had expended his means in riotous living, and had nothing left with which to fight
his claim. But for the real good of the country, it is best for there to be small farms, rather than large tracts.
At this remote distance, it is impossible to determine who was the first permanent settler in the township.
It would seem, that in 1855, J. A. Hamilton, Joseph Sheppard and William Olive came from Yolo county with a drove
of cattle, and settled on claims on the Garcia river bottom, and to them doubtless belongs the honor of being the
first settlers outside of the grant overseers, as no traces of any previous settlers can be found now. Mr. Hamilton
had a family. Shortly after they came, S. B. Campbell and family, and David and Elijah Beebee and their families
settled near the present site of Point Arena, taking up farms in that locality. During 1856, William Shoemake settled
on a farm on Brush creek, while a man by the name of Fadre and his family came up from Marin county and settled
at the present site of Bourn's Landing, and L. Bell moved to Fish Rock. In 1857, there came into the township G.
W. Wright, R. W. O'Niel and T J. O'Niel. In 1858, there came Dr. J. G. Morse, Mart T. Smith, Calvin Stewart, William
S. Brown, Lewis Morse, and O. W. Scott; while in the southern part of the township, there came Cyrus D. Robinson
and John Northrope, and Joshua Adams settled at Ferguson's Cove. Mr. Mart T. Smith informs us, that at the time
of his arrival here, he found about thirty families in the township. In addition to those already named he mentions
the following ____ Willard, ____ Kuffel, James Oliver, M. W. Barney, John Schroder, Charles DeWolff, J. L. Gillespie,
and John Smith. These people had pretty nearly all jumped or squatted on the grant, knowing that it was in litigation,
and hoping that it would end as it did, and thus give them a priority claim upon the tract on which they had settled.
The exceptions, as far as known to this, were Hamilton, Sheppard, and Shoemake, all of whom had purchased their
land from Luco.
In 1859 Dr. Morse's family came and located permanently in the township, and Samuel McMullen, S. S. Hoyt, C. B.
Pease, T. J. Stewart, and LeGrande Morse came in that year. In 1860, there came Samuel C. Hunter, A. W. Hall, and
E. Wilsey. Of course, there were many other settlers but their names have passed from the general memory of the
residents of that section; but we feel that the above list is very nearly complete, and take great pleasure in
being able to place upon record so full a list of the pioneers of Arena, those who knew her first and probably
loved her best, But if we stop to inquire, "What has become of all these old timers?" it would require
a number of answers to complete the full reply. Death has carried many of them over the darkly flowing stream;
more have moved away; while a few have remained to the present time to tell the story of those by gone days, and
to give the names of the actors of the life dramas of those pioneer times. Of those who have gone on before, old
father Joshua Adams; as he was familiarly called, was one of many thousand men. He lived to see his nation's centennial
birth year, which only lacked three years of being his own one hundredth anniversary, he being born in 1779, and
being ninety seven years of age at the time of his death. What a wonderful, wonderful change had come over the
land in which he died since the date of his birth! Scarce can we contemplate it in all its magnitude and gigantic
proportions. Three years before his birth, and the foundations of the first house in that now mighty city which
sits as a queen by the side of the placid waters of our majestic bay, on whose bosom the shipping of the world
might easily ride at anchor, had but just been laid, and at his birth, doubtless, its inhabitants did not number
two hundred souls, soldiers, civilians, religios, and Indian neophytes, all told. When he was first cradled in
his mother's arms and heard her sweet lullaby songs, the entire population of the State of California, speaking
of its boundaries as they now exist, aside from Indians, did not number five hundred But when the angel of death
called for the old patriarch, the two hundred in the limits of San Francisco had grown a thousand fold, and the
five hundred in the entire State had increased far more than a thousand fold. The wilderness of that day had blossomed
into the rose of this, smiling in the sunshine of civilization and prosperity, instead of drooping under the cloud
of barbarism and the shadow of uncultivation.
GUALALA. - This little village is situated at the extreme south-west corner of Mendocino county. The first
permanent white settler at this point was John Northrope, who came there in 1857, and took up the claim on which
the town now stands. C. D. Robinson purchased Northrope's interests in April, 1858, and in the following June he
and his family moved to the place which they still occupy. At that time a small "shake" cabin was all
the building there was in that vicinity. Mr. Robinson built a frame house, and at once began the hotel business,
being the first enterprise of any character which was set on foot in the place. In 1865 the Cole brothers constructed
the first chute, which was purchased by C. D. Robinson in the following year, and has since been conducted by him,
he having rebuilt it in 1875. The first one was an old fashioned apron chute, but the present one is a cable one,
and has a donkey engine to draw the car back with. In 1862 the Gualala Mill Company located their buildings about
one fourth of a mile south of where Mr. Robinson's hotel was situated, and on the north bank of the stream by that
name, near its mouth, and soon quite a little town sprang up around the mill, consisting of dwelling houses, a
store, blacksmith shop, and all other necessary buildings. As the mill has remained at this point ever since, and
is likely to for many years to come, it will probably be the real village of Gualala for many years. Messrs. Peters
& Zadoc erected a building and opened a store opposite the Gualala hotel in 1809, which they continued for
a year or two, since which time the store of the mill company has supplied the wants of the people in that line.
The postoffice and Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express is under the supervision of C. D. Robinson, while communication
is had with the outside world by the Western Union Telegraph, which is operated by Miss D. L. Robinson. There is
a daily stage from Duncan's Mills, except on Mondays, and the city can be reached within twenty four hours. This
line of stages is owned and operated by Messrs. Allman & Queen. There is a ferry at this place, although an
appropriation has been made by Mendocino county for the purpose of constructing a bridge across the stream whenever
Sonoma county shall make a like appropriation. This was a special Act of the Legislature, signed by the Governor,
March 27, 1878, which was a sort of an omnibus bill," providing for several bridges and roads, and among other
things it stipulated that the sum of $3,000 should be used in connection with Sonoma county for the construction
of a bridge across the Gualala river, but there seems to be no disposition on the part of Sonoma county to take
any action in the matter; it is not probable that there will be any bridge there in the near future. It would prove
a great convenience to the traveling public if the river were bridged, although the ferry is efficient and safe.
POINT ARENA. - This is the only town of any importance in Arena township, and is situated about fifteen
miles north of the Sonoma county line. The first building erected on the town site was constructed by Len. Wilsey
in 1859, and he put in a full stock of goods, thus being the first business enterprise in the place also. The next
man to locate on the town site was S. S. Hoyt, who came the same year. In the fall of that year Samuel W. McMullen
came to the new town and opened a saloon, and another store was opened by Peter Lane & G. Linderoos, while
a blacksmith shop was established by David Beasley. In 1862 S. B. Campbell purchased a claim on the land adjoining
the port, and for several years he was engaged in loading vessels by means of lighters. In February, 1866, a franchise
was granted by the State to Mart T. Smith, enabling him to maintain a wharf and landing at Point Arena for twenty
years. He was also entitled to a strip of land two hundred feet wide, extending from high tide mark into the ocean
far enough for the purposes of navigation. In 1870 he sold his interests to Messrs. Woodward & Chalfant, and
in 1875 it passed into the hands of A. McClure & Co., who continued it till January 1, 1880, when the partnership
was dissolved and C. R. Arthur came into possession of the wharf. To give an adequate idea of the importance of
the shipping interests of Point Arena we append a statement of the shipments made over the wharf during the last
year, which was kindly furnished us by Mr. Arthur: "Merchandise, two thousand three hundred tons; posts, seventy
thousand; bark (cords), two hundred and twenty three; shingles (millions), thirteen and one half; leather (rolls),
two hundred and twenty eight; potatoes (bags), one thousand and forty two; butter (boxes and firkins), nine hundred
and forty; eggs (cases), two hundred and seventy four; wool (sacks), one hundred and thirty; paper (reams), four
thousand. Dr. J. G. Morse was the pioneer physician, and it was through his exertions that the first school was
established in 1860. He secured the establishment of a postoffice at this place, and was the first postmaster.
In 1869 L. G. Morse established the first drug store. G. S. Spaulding established the first photograph gallery,
in 1869. The first marriage in this vicinity occurred November 30, 1858, and William Oliver and Miss Lavinia Shoemake,
daughter of William Shoemake, were the contracting parties to this pioneer hymenial union. The first death was
a son of Mr. Shoemake's, John Wesley, who died in February, 1858. The first emigrant from babyland was a child
born to J. A. Hamilton and wife. The pioneer school was taught by a Mr. Douglas, in 1860, and he derived his support
from subscription. It was taught in a small room, its dimensions being only twelve by twelve. A school was also
taught in the cabin of a bark which was wrecked near the mouth of the Garcia river.
The town of today is a very beautiful village lying on the southern slope of a hill, where it catches whatever
of sunshine there is, and is sheltered in a great measure from the bleak north west winds which prevail during
the summer season. There is only one principal street in the place, which extends up and down the hill, and is
lined on either side, but principally on the western, with the business places of the town. There have evidently
been days of remarkable prosperity in the place, for the mesa land at the top of the hill has many cottages on
it which are now deserted, while there are empty houses, both business and dwelling, in the body of the village,
all of which goes to show that the pristine activity of the place has gone from it. It is evident, however, that
the old residents of the place hope for better things in the near future, and are investing money in property with
as much avidity as in the "flush" days of years agone. The orders of Masonry and Odd Fellowship have
just completed a handsome structure, at a cost of $2,000, and N. Iverson has just completed a magnificent brick
building at a cost of $4,000. There are a number of industries here, but all on a small scale, the market and source
of supply being both too far away for any of them to become really successful. It would be almost impossible to
meet with a more enterprising set of men than the citizens of Point Arena have proved themselves to be, and they
certainly deserve a better fate than to have their undertakings fail in any measure. A fair sample of their enterprise
may be seen in the paper mill. It has been "put upon its feet" three several times, and several thousand
dollars have been invested, and yet today it stands a monument of miscalculation and misdirected energy and capital,
the hum of its machinery being dead, presumably beyond the power of human agency to resurrect. Individual energy
and capital have done much to establish and build up various industrial enterprises, as is evidenced by the brewery,
tannery and carriage factory, which are all located here.
But we bespeak better times for the place, and that very soon. Just now (1880) the entire country is suffering
from a state of financial depression unprecedented in the annals of the State, and of course this section is no
exception to the rule. And what is more to their disadvantage, they are dependent in a great measure upon the lumber
interests for their prosperity, and it is a well known and generally admitted fact that at no time since the days
of Harry Meigs has there been so great a stagnation in that branch of industry as has prevailed for the past three
years. But all this must end, and it is to be hoped that the day is not far distant when the arteries of industry
and trade will be again opened by a strong and healthy flow of money into the coffers of the citizens of this lovely
little village by the sea shore, lying as it does where the dash of the breakers makes a rythmical harmony through
the long watches of the night, lulling to pleasant slumber the weary people who have spent the day in such activity
that the voice of the ocean has not been heard by them.
The distance from the town to the wharf, or port as it is called, locally, is about one fourth of a mile, over
a good road. At the port the anchorage is good, while a very substantial wharf extends to the requisite depth of
water for the purposes of navigation. Schooners can get in and out of the harbor, which consists of a small bight
only, with great ease and safety; while the approach for steamers is as good as can be found anywhere. The steamers
of the Pacific Coast Steamship Company make regular landings at this point, going each way. The principal exports
are shingles, posts, ties, tan bark, and stave bolts. The stages of Messrs. Allman & Queen pass this place
daily, connecting very closely with the city and with all points north along the coast. The Western Union Telegraph
Company has an office here with G. Linderoos as operator. He is also Wells, Fargo & Co.'s agent at this place.
P. Peters is the present postmaster. The town is well supplied with churches, lodges, and schools; and if one is
acclimated it is really a pleasant little town to reside in.
BUSINESS DIRECTORY. - To give an adequate idea of the business interests of Point Arena the following list
is appended: Brewery, one; blacksmith and carriage shops, two; hotels, two; barber shop, one; meat market, one;
shoe shops, two; drug store, one; harness shop, one; livery stables, two; saloons, four; general merchandise stores
five; tin store, one; jeweler, one; tailor, one; and millinery, one. From the foregoing it will be seen that the
place is a genuine business location, and that almost all branches of trade are represented. The business places
in town number twenty six, which will certainly compare favorably with any village of its size in the State.
SECRET ORGANIZATIONS. - Free and Accepted Masons. - Claiborne Lodge, No. 185, F. & A. M., was organized,
under dispensation, June 14, 1867, with the following charter members: R. D. Handy, S. W. Randolph, Niels Iverson,
N. De Witt, Cushings, Charles Lyman, Alpheus Harris, and F. W. Watrous. The first officers under dispenation were:
N. De Witt, W. M.; and S. W. Randolph, S. W. The charter was granted to the lodge October 10, 1867, and the first
officers thereunder were: R. D. Handy, W.; S. W. Randolph. S. W.; and N. Iverson, J. W. The following named members
have had the honor of filling the Master's chair: R. D. Handy, Iverson, A. Chalfant, George S. Spaulding, James
A. Reynolds, and L. Gerlock. The following named officers are filling their respective positions during the present
year: J. B. Warren, W. M.; George S. Spaulding, S. W.; K. Lancaster, J. W.; N. Iverson, Treasurer; and R. D. Handy,
Secretary. The present membership is twenty five. The lodge is in a very prosperous condition, and its meetings
are held in a hall which has but lately been erected, conjointly with the Odd Fellows, at a cost of $2,000. The
hall is not yet furnished, fully; but when it is it will be one of the handsomest and cosiest places of meeting
to be found in the State.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. - Garcia Lodge, No. 240, I. O. O. F., was organized January 4, 1876, with the
following charter members: P. Peters, W. H. Cureton, L. F. Spaulding, D. M. Ketchum, N. Iverson, and J. B. M. Warren.
The first officers were: W. H. Cureton, N. G.; N. Iverson, V. G.; J. B. M. Warren, Secretary; and L. F. Spaulding,
Treasurer. The following named gentlemen have filled the Noble Grand's chair: W. H. Cureton, P. Peters, L. F. Spaulding
(two terms), W. Peters (two terms), N. Iverson, J. B. M. Warren, N. Newfield, and O. A. Oleson. The present officers
are: O. A. Oleson, N. G.; K. Lancaster, V. G.; R. Caughey, Secretary; and N. Iverson, Treasurer. The present membership
is thirty three, and the lodge is flourishing nicely. Its meetings are held in the new hall erected this year (1880)
conjointly with the Masons, and dedicated May 29, 1880. The building is two story, having a wall twenty four feet
high. The size of the building is twenty four by sixty, and the lower story is used as a public hall.
Independent Order of Good Templars. - Mount Nebo Lodge, No. 344, I. O. G. T., was organized December 19, 1868,
and was the first lodge of Good Templars ever established in Mendocino county, and what is a more remarkable fact,
the charter has never been surrendered from that day to this, and it has always been in a flourishing condition,
and the lamp of the great temperance cause has been always kept burning brightly at this place. The organizing
members were Rev. ____ Overton, J. M. Rodgers, W. A. Jackson, George Yeoman, N. Watrous, Minnie Mattox, Joseph
Jackson, L. Beebee, Mary Jackson, A. Frazier, J. L. Jackson, M. H. Antrim, H. Mattox, William King, H. Peters,
D. H. Haskins, M. Iverson, and Mrs. Harrison. The first officers were: George Yeoman, W. C. T.; Mary Jackson, W.
V. T.; H. Peters, Secretary; L. Beebee, W. F. Secretary; and Joseph Jackson, Treasurer. The present officers are:
W. W. Fowler, W. C. T.; Miss Maggie Arthur, W. V. T.; W. F. Goodwin, Secretary; W. Fowler, W. F. Secretary; and
Rev. E. A. Hazen, Treasurer. The present membership is seventeen.
Hook and Ladder Company. - The Wide Awake Hook and Ladder Company of Point Arena was organized April 20, 1877,
with the following as the organizing members: L. G. Morse, G. S. Spaulding, B. F. McClure, N. Iverson, D. S. Quimby,
F. M. Spaulding, G. P. Manley, John Kester, G. Linderoos, J. C. Holiday, R. D. Handy, A. Chalfant, W. F. McClure,
and Charles Hoffman. The first officers were: F. M. Spaulding, Foreman; and G. P. Manley, Secretary. The succeeding
foremen have been N. Iverson, MT. T. Tomlinson, C. R. Arthur, R. D. Handy, B. F. McClure, J. A. Reynolds. The present
officers are: J. A. Reynolds, Foreman; D. S. Quimby, First Assistant Foreman; J. C. Holiday, Second Assistant Foreman;
C. G. Sullivan, Secretary; and G. Linderoos, Treasurer. The present membership is nineteen. The apparatus of the
company consists of three hundred feet of two inch hose, with the necessary hooks, ladders, ropes, buckets, etc.
The company has a building which was erected at a cost of $150.
Contuined in History of Arena, CA Part 2.