1879. - The result of the annual election was as follows: Trustees, T. L. Carothers, J. S. Reed, Samuel
Orr, L. Van Dusen, and George McGowan; Treasurer, James Fowzer; Recorder, H. H. Mitchell; Marshal, J. H Hughes.
G. E. Lloyd was chosen Clerk of the Board.
The contract for removing the bodies of the dead buried in what is known as the old cemetery, was let March 12th
to D. Gobbi for the sum of $450.
April 2d, George McGowan was appointed Clerk of the Board vice G. E. Lloyd.
The rate of taxation for this year was placed at one fourth of one per cent on the $100.
The Treasurer having failed to qualify, it was decided to place the money in the Ukiah City Bank.
The following financial statement was made to the Board of Trustees under date of November 25, 1879: Value of property,
$326,747; taxes levied, $816.86; taxes collected, $800.03; poll tax collected, $119; collected from licenses and
other sources, $328; total amount collected, $1,247.03; amount of delinquent tax, $18.09; amount on hand, $454.31.
It will b noticed from the above that a remarkably small per tentage of the taxes levied remained delinquent, which
certainly speaks very highly for the financial condition of the citizens of the place.
During this year Ukiah was called upon to don the mantle of mourning for her most honored dead. On the 26th day
of July Absosom Lidwell Perkins laid down the burdens of this life, and passed from the scenes of earthly living
to that beyond the bright silver white span that bridges the chasm between the two; slipping the leash of mortality
and becoming enrobed with immortal existence. Mr. Perkins, who may well be denominated the "father of pioneers,"
was born in the State of Texas in 1827, hence was fifty two years of age at the time of his death. But little is
known of his life previous to his location in Ukiah valley, except that he came from Arkansas to California, and
first located in Yuba county, on the present site of Wheatland. As stated above, he came to Ukiah valley and located
on the present site of the city of that name in 1857, and he continued to reside there till his death. When the
news of his demise spread Through the town a feeling of deep and unfeigned sorrow pervaded the heart of every citizen,
for none knew him but to esteem and respect him; and that a due respect might be shown his memory, all places of
business were closed in the city from the hour of his death until his remains were deposited in the bosom of Mother
Earth. May his memory ever be kept fresh and hallowed in the hearts of the generations that are to come and possess
and enjoy the beautiful city lie founded and did so much to upbuild.
1880. - The present city officials are as follows: Trustees, Thomas L. Carothers, John S. Reed, George McGowan,
E. W. King, M. D., and G. B. Mathers; Treasurer, Samuel Wheeler; Recorder, W. W. Cuningham; Marshal and Pound master,
J. A. Jamison. George McCowan is the present Clerk of the Board.
CITY ORDINANCES. - Our space forbids us to reproduce the city ordinances verbatim, but we will give a short
summary of them so that their import may be gleaned:-
Number 1. - The Marshal and Treasurer shall give bonds in the sum of $2,000 each.
Number 2. - The stated meetings of the Board of Trustees shall be on the second Mondays in February, May, August,
Number 3 - Fixes the fines for disorderly conduct as follows: Section 1. - For fighting and profane language the
fine shall be from $5 to $100. Section 2. - For drawing deadly weapons, except in self defence, from $5 to $100.
Section 3. - For vagrancy and indecent exposure, from $5 to $50. Section 4. - For assault or resistance to an officer,
from $5 to $100. Section 5. - For driving and riding at a furious gait, or for riding on the sidewalk, from $5
to $25. Section 6. - For the discharge of fire arms within the city limits, from $5 to $25. Section 7. - The above
penalties may include imprisonment at the rate of $1 per day, or both at the discretion of the Police Judge.
Number 4. - Relates to the running at large of animals.
Number 5. - Relates to nuisances, and the penalty is fining from $5 to $25, or imprisonment, or both.
Number 6. - Section 1. - Fines (net) shall be paid into the Treasury. Section 2. - No money in the Town Treasury
shall be drawn out except on a warrant signed by the Clerk, and upon the order of the Board.
Number 7. - Section 1. - The Marshal shall be the Chief of Police, and shall serve all processes. Section 2. -
He shall receive the same for such services as a Constable would.
Number 8. - The Treasurer shall receipt for all moneys paid him.
Number 9. - To prevent dogs from running at large. Section 1. - Dogs shall have a tag, for which the owner shall
pay the sum of $3, good for one year. Section 2. - Dogs without tags must be killed by the Marshal. Section 3.
- Owners of dogs who do not take out licenses shall be deemed guilty of misdemeanor, and fined, upon conviction,
from $5 to $10. Section 4. - The Marshal shall receive fifty cents for every dog killed.
Number 10. - Prohibits boys of a certain age and under from being on the street after a certain hour at night.
Its provisions are: Section 1. - No boy under sixteen years of age shall be permitted on the streets after 8 P.
Section 2. - It shall be considered a misdemeanor and the fine shall be not more than $10, or imprisonment ten
days, or both. Section 3. - The Marshal shall arrest all offenders.
Number 11. - Salary of the Marshal. Section 1. - Each day at road work, $3. Section 2. - He shall also receive
the sum of $30 per month.
Number 12. - Obstruction on the sidewalks. Section 1. - On all streets running north and south the sidewalk shall
be twelve feet wide, and on all running east and west, eight feet. Section 2. - No obstruction shall be placed
upon the sidewalk. Section 3. The penalty shall be a fine from $5 to $10, or imprisonment.
Number 13. - Fixes the rate of taxation.
Number 14. - Fixes the rate of Poll tax.
Number 15. - Fixes the rate of licenses as follows: Section 1. - All businesses, circuses, shows, or theaters must
pay a license. Section 2. - Stores, saloons, livery stables, and hotels shall pay an annual license of $12. Section
3. - Theaters, plays, and shows, except circuses, shall pay $3 for each exhibition. Section 4. - Circuses must
pay for each performance, $10. Sections 5 and 6 refer to the fees of the Marshal for collecting the licenses above
enumerated. Section 7. - The penalty for non compliance shall be a fine from $5 to $25, or imprisonment.
Number 16. - Fire crackers, etc. Section 1. - No bombs, Roman candles, sky rockets, or any kind of fire works,
except small crackers, shall be exploded within the city limits. Section 2. - The penalty shall be a fine of from
$5 to $25, or imprisonment.
Number 17. - Fixes the rate of taxation.
Number 18. - Fixes the rate of Poll tax.
Number 19. - Fees of Marshal, amending number 7; provides that in case of suit, if his fees are not collected from
the defendant, he is to receive no compensation for the arrest.
Number 20. - Fixes the rate of taxation.
Number 21. - Fixes the rate of Poll tax.
Number 22. - Smoking opium. Section 1. - The penalty for smoking opium is a fine of from $25 to $100, or imprisonment,
or both. Section 2. - For keeping an opium den the penalty is fixed the same as in the preceding section.
Number 23. - Licenses. Section 1. - This ordinance shall be an amendment to ordinance number 15. Section 2. - Same
as in the last mentioned ordinance. Section 3. - If the annual sales do not exceed $300, the license shall be $3.
Section 4. - If the annual sales are between $500 and $1000, the license shall be $6. Section 5. - For all above
$1000, the license shall be $12. (These amendments refer solely to stores, hotels, and livery stables). Section
6. - Retail saloons shall pay $25. Section 7. - Theaters, shows, plays, except circuses, shall ply $3. Section
8. - Circuses shall pay $10.
Number 24. - Water rates in Ukiah shall be in accordance with the following schedule: Courthouse per month, $8;
livery stables, $6; grist mill, $6; hotel, $4; barber shop, $1.50; barber shop with bath, $3; saloon, $1.50; store,
$1; wash house, $6; restaurant, $2; blacksmith and wagon shop combined, $1.50; dwellings, $1.50; and for irrigating
with a three fourths inch hose, per hour, 10 cents.
CITY EXPENDITURES. - The following figures will show the amounts expended by the city authorities for the
respective years mentioned: 1876, $1,112.90; 1877, $1,411.49; 1878, $1,140.36; 1879, $1,041.25, making a total
for the four years of $4,706. When it is considered that $640 was spent on the Courthouse fence, $700 for fire
apparatus, and $386 for the removal of the bodies from the old cemetery, it will be seen that the city government
is economically managed.
BANK OF SANTA ROSA. - This was the first enterprise of the kind ever set on foot in Ukiah, and was established
in 1873, and continued in business until June 1, 1876, when its interests were purchased by the Bank of Ukiah.
It was a branch of the Bank of Santa Rosa, and had its place of business at first in the brick building just south
of the Courthouse. In 1875 this firm erected the brick building on the corner of State and Standley streets, occupied
by the Bank of Ukiah at present.
BANK OF UKIAH. - This banking institution was organized January 10, 1874, with a capital stock of $250,000,
of which '$206,000 was paid up. The trustees of the bank have always been R. McGarvey, A. F. Redemeyer, John P.
Hoffman, and John E. Chalfant. Samuel Wheeler has been its cashier since its organization, also. The presidents
have been - 1874 and 1875, A. F. Redemeyer; 1876 and 1877, T. B. Bond; 1878 and 1879, John S. Reed; and 1880, R.
McGarvey. When the bank began business, it was located in the Redemeyer building, on the northeast corner of State
and Perkins streets. After purchasing the interests of the Santa Rosa Bank, in 1876, it was moved to its present
quarters. The building is a fine brick, with imitation stone front. The size of the vault is eight by ten feet,
and the locks are all fine burglar proof affairs, with all the modern improvements. The bank does a general business
in its line, and when last examined by the State Board of Commissioners, was unhesitatingly pronounced in first
class condition. It is a local institution, and is worthy the confidence of the citizens of the county in general.
The following is the report made by the Bank Commissioners of the result of their examination of the affairs of
the Bank of Ukiah, doing business at Ukiah, Mendocino county, May 21st, at the close of business on that day• Assets,
banking house and lot, $15,572.82; loans on real estate, $155,235.19; invested in county warrants, $7,036.86; loans
on stocks and warrants, $7,351.59; loans on personal security, $105,089.99; money on hand, $14,285.14; interest
accrued, $10,762.99; expenses, taxes, etc., $1,590.03. Liabilities, capital paid up, $260,000; surplus, $27,948.17;
due depositors, $59,440.53; due banks and bankers, $7,716.71; interest account, $15,819.20. Total assets and liabilities,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. - Ukiah Lodge, No. 174; I. O. O. F., was organized July 20, 1870, with the following
charter members: E. W. King, M. D., Nathan Ellis, Charles Hofman, John R. Short, James P. Clark, Robert White,
W. W. Cuningham, and W. H. White. The first officers were: E. W. King, M. D., N. G.; Charles Hofman, V. G.; N.
Ellis, Secretary; and John R. Short, Treasurer. The following gentlemen have held the position of Noble Grand:
E. W. King, M. D., Charles Hofman, J. B. Lamar, M. A. Kelton, P. V. Lempke, James Fowzer, J. H. Seawell, W. H.
White, W. W. Cuningham, J. H. Donohoe, L. S. Sullivan, J. L. Wilson, L. T. Day, B. W. Day, B. Dozier, M.D., George
McGowan, C. W. Tindall, Hale McGowan, and R. S. Clason. The present officers are: R. S. Clason, N. G.; J. T. Rodgers,
V. G.; A. H. Day, Recording Secretary; R. F. Gilmore, Treasurer; and George McGowan, Permanent Secretary. The present
membership is eighty two, and the lodge is in a very flourishing condition. They have a very fine library, to which
large additions are being made yearly.
I. O. O. F. Encampment. - Sanhedrim Encampment, No. 49, I. O. O. F., was organized November 17, 1874, with the
following charter members: E. W. King, N. D., C. A. Irvine, James Fowzer, C. H. Hofman, J. H. Seawell, W. A. C.
Smith, and W. F. Holiday. The first officers were: E. W. King, M. D., C, P.; C. A. Irvine, H. P.; W. F. Holiday,
S. W.; J. H. Seawell, J. W.; James Fowzer, Scribe; and C. Hofman, Treasurer. The following gentlemen have filled
the executive station: E. W. King, M. D., W. A. C. Smith, C. A. Irvine, James Fowzer, J. H. Seawell, W. H. White,
W. F. Holiday, L. T. Day. Ben. W. Day, W. W. Cuningham, J. L. Wilson, and I. C. Schlarbaum. The present officers
are: J. C. Schlarbaum, C. P.; H. J. Ward, H. P.; W. H. White, S. W.; L. T. Day, J. W.; J. L. Wilson, Scribe; and
James Fowzer, Treasurer. The present membership is twenty five.
Free and Accepted Masons. - Abell Lodge, No. 146, F. & A. M., was organized under dispensation June 19, 1860,
and the charter was granted May 16, 1861. The charter members were: J. B. Price, N. V. Cleveland, N. S. Fanning,
William Henry, L. M. Warden, O. H. P. Brown, and James A. Shore. The officers under dispensation were: J. B. Price,
W. M.; N. V. Cleveland, S. W.; N. S. Fanning, J. W.; William Henry, Treasurer; and L. N. Warden, Secretary. The
first officers under the charter were: J. B. Price, W. M.; M. V. Cleveland, S. W.; N. S. Fanning, J. W.; William
Henry, Treasurer; and G. Canning Smith, Secretary. The following gentlemen have filled the Master's chair: J. B.
Price, N. D. Witt, James Anderson, William Holden, C. C. Cummings, T. L. Carothers, J. B. Lamar, E. W. King, M.
D., William H. Barnes, W. H. Haskell, T. B. Bond, J. H. Donohoe, and George McGowan. The present officers are:
George McGowan, W. M.; E. W. King, M. D., S. W.; Charles D. Ambrose, J. W.; Samuel Orr, Treasurer, and Hale McCowan,
Secretary. The present membership is sixty five, and the lodge is in a flourishing condition. It owns the building
in which it meets, which was erected in 1874. The lodge room is thirty two by fifty, and is neatlyfurnished, and
is lighted with gas. The building is thirty two by seventy, and two stories high. The lower floor is used for offices,
etc. The Odd Fellows meet in the hall also.
Royal Arch Masons. - Ukiah Chapter, No. 53, R. A. M., was organized under dispensation June 14, 1878, and the charter
was granted April 9, 1879. The charter members were: J. W. Jenkins, J. L. Burchard, T. L. Carothers, J. H. Donohoe,
T. L. Barnes, J. Updegraff, L. D. Montague, B. C. Bellamy, S. Hornbrook, J. Albertson, and George McGowan. The
officers under dispensation were: J. W. Jenkins, N. E. H. P; J. L. Burchard, E. K.; T. L. Carothers, E. S.; J.
S. Reed, Treasurer; and George McCowan, Secretary. The first officers under charter were the same as above. The
present officers are: George McGowan, M. E. H. P.; E. W. King, N. D., E, K.; G. W. Heald, E. S.; J. S. Reed, Treasurer;
and Samuel Wheeler, Secretary. The present membership is twenty six.
Independent Order of Good Templars. - Ukiah Lodge, No. 396, I. O. G. T., was organized June 28, 1870, with the
following charter members: Rev. H. Hazel, H. C. Lyle, W. H. Vann, G. B. Hopper, E. Porter, Charles Ackerman, Thomas
Smythe, T. Charlton, J. B. Caneza, S. Morse, Martha Short, Mary Short, Adaline S. Budd, Alice Davis, Francis Moore,
and Jane Shelton. The first officers were: H. C. Lyle, W. C. T.; Mrs. Adaline S. Budd, W. V. T.; Thomas Smythe,
Recording Secretary; Charles Ackerman, Financial Secretary; and Alice Davis, Treasurer. The present officers are:
Hale McGowan, W. C. T.; Anna Fowzer, W. V. T.; Charles Hughes, Recording Secretary; George McCowan, Financial Secretary;
and A. J. Smith, Treasurer. The present membership is twenty four, which is the least it ever has been since the
lodge was fairly organized. It is the oldest lodge now in the county, having been in existence for ten years.
Ancient Order of United Workmen. - Ukiah Lodge, No. 33, A. O. U. W., was organized May 14, 1878, with the following
as charter members: E. W. King, M. D., J. T. Rodgers, F. O. Townsend, E. B. Gambie, L. S. Sullivan, C. Holman,
E. J. Handley, F. Gessler, C. W. Tindall, J. J. Philips, E. B. Hagans, A. W. Thompson, F. L. Bithers, James Lewis,
James Logan, T. J. McGimpsey, C. D. Osborne, W. A. Hagans, J. S. Haile, E. B. Lynch, J. W. Shoemaker, P. V. Lempke,
S. J. Chalfant. J. Mahurin, W. H. Young, and W. F. Whitney. The first officers were: J. T. Rodgers, P. M. W.; K
W. King, N. D., M. W.; E. J. Handley, G. F.; J. J. Phillips, O.; James Lewis, Recorder; E. B. Gambie, F.; A. W.
Thompson, Receiver; C. W. Tindal], G.; and F. Gessler, W. The Master Workmen have been E W. King, M. D., James
Logan, B. Dozier, M. D., W. F. Whitney, and A. W. Thompson. The present officers are: A. W. Thompson, M. W.; H.
A. Peabody, G. F.; G. Gessler, O.; A. O. Carpenter, Recorder; J. T. Rodgers, F.; C. W. Tindall, Receiver; T. J.
Gibson, G.; and D. Ervin, W. The present membership is thirty six.
Eagle Fire Company. - This company was organized March 7, 1877, with a membership of fifteen, has increased
until they have thirty at the present time. Their foremen have been as follows. C. W. Tindall, James C. Lewis;
T. L. Bithers and J. C. Schlarbaum have been Secretaries; and Frank Philips has been Treasurer since its organization.
Their apparatus consists of a hook and ladder truck, and four Babcock fire extinguishers. The company owns its
own engine house, and the lot on which it stands, and expects soon to purchase a fire bell. Their engine house
is twenty by fifty feet in size, and two stories high. If there is one thing above another that should be fostered
and co-operated with in a city, it is its fire department, for upon its efficiency oftentimes depends the safety
of the property of the entire place.
The First Baptist Church in Ukiah City was organized by Rev. J. D. Bonner, June 25, 1859, with four constituent
members, viz., Stephen Piner, Sarah Piner, Thomas A. Montgomery, and John Piner, and from this small beginning
there has grown to be a body of influence and respectability second to none in the county. During the twenty one
years of its history, this church has had its reverses and successes, like all other bodies of its kind. Sometimes
the candle has shown brightly under revival influence, then again the light has flickered into apparent weakness
and discouragement, by the removals and departures from the faith by members, and had it not been for the true
men and women who have been identified with the body from its earliest life, it would have faltered and, perhaps,
ere this been extinct. The church has, up to the present time, had nine pastors, including the present incumbent.
Their names are Revs. J. D. Bonner, D. G. Lovall, M. W. Howard, J. T. Barnes, J. N. Buroughs, D. T. Taylor, Joseph
Roberts, L. R. Barnes, and C. A. Bateman. Honorable mention is deservedly made toward Rev. M. W. Howard, who has
been five times elected pastor of this church, filling the gaps created by the retirement of others; and by his
consistent life and faithful efforts much is due for the present prosperity of the church. It is eminently in place
to mention the name of Mrs. L. Dozier, who has not failed to bear her full part in sustaining the praise service
of the church as leader and organist, together with John Todd, Samuel Orr, Thomas Gibson, Edward Cox, George Niece,
John Higgins, James Hughes, William Istel, the lamented Mankins, Dozier and others who have been steadfast in their
support of the church, these have been proof against all untoward events. Perhaps it is in place to state that
at no time in the history of this body has there been more marked progress than the past year, under the leadership
of Rev. C. A. Bateman. The congregations are second to none in the city. The Sunday school, under the superintendence
of C. D. Ambrose, has overreached all others in the county in efficiency and numbers. The weekly meetings are largely
attended, and, in a word, prosperity is enjoyed. The past year Mr. Bateman has not only served this church as pastor,
but served the Baptist State Convention as general missionary, the position held by him for five years past, and
perhaps there is no better way to show his efficiency as a preacher of the gospel and indefatigable worker for
the cause than to insert the report given to the last Convention, and published in the Herald of Truth, of Oakland,
"I have labored two hundred and twenty six weeks, solid work; preached one thousand three hundred and thirteen
sermons; conducted nine hundred and thirty one prayer and other religious meetings; gathered into the churches
by relation and letter one hundred and fifty five persons, and baptized three hundred and thirty four candidates;
have made one hundred and thirty eight temperance and Sunday school addresses; organized twelve Sunday schools;
attended three dedications; organized seven churches; administered fifty eight communions; resusciated eight churches;
attended six ordinations; made two thousand five hundred and sixty two religious visits; wrote one thousand eight
hundred and eighty one missionary letters; traveled twenty four thousand eight hundred and sixty four miles in
the discharge of my duties."
The church at Ukiah owns, in connection with the Methodist Episcopal South, a very nice edifice and other property.
Methodist Episcopal Church South. - This church was organized in the autumn of 1850 in this county, by L. C. Adam;
with monthly service at Ukiah, Redwood Valley, Potter Valley, and Anderson Valley; J. N. Nuckolls class leader,
and Biddy Nuckolls, Wiley English, William English, J. S. Hughes, Mary J. Hughes, Charles Burns, Nancy Burns, H.
P. Megee, and Elizabeth Megee members. Revs. T. Brown, Blithe, Glover, Burnett, Alverson, Edwards, Wright, Hayden
and others had successively charge of the work.
Under the administration of Rev. Mr. Burnett, the church was built in Ukiah in conjunction with the Baptists. About
the same time a churchhouse was commenced in Booneville, Anderson valley.
Potter and Anderson valleys were formed into separate circuits as the membership increased. Ukiah circuit now has
a membership of over two hundred, thus showing a steady increase since its organization. It also has an elegant
parsonage, built some five years ago, at a cost of $2,500, under the administration of L. D. Jeargis.
Christian Church. - The following annals concerning the work of this denomination have been kindly supplied by
Rev Harrison Price, its present respected Pastor, and are so complete that no word of ours can add aught to them:-
"The Christian Church, or Church of Christ in this place was first organized under the preaching of that worthy
pioneer, Rev. John O. White, who long since has left the Pacific coast, and I believe has finally gone to his reward.
"Leaving the more thickly settled portions around the Bay in the early history of our State, he made his way
up into the free mountain air of Mendocino, and proclaimed in ringing tones the tidings of peace on earth goodwill
"Among the scattered settlements then gathered in this valley he found some willing to heed the Saviour's
words, and organized a small band of brethren, who being left without preaching soon ceased to meet and the organization
came to naught.
"In the year 1859, Rev. Jesse Derrick came to Ukiah from Sonoma county and held a protracted meeting in which
he re-organized the church, since which time it has been continued uninterruptedly and with various degrees of
prosperity until the present.
"About November 1, 1860, Brother James Anderson, at present residing in Santa Rosa, arrived here and went
actively to work for the Master. He found the congregation in need of help and took hold manfully, preaching once
a month in Ukiah, once in Little Lake, and once in Potter valley, for a period of about two years. For about eighteen
months of the same time he preached once a month in Anderson valley.
"Those who lived in California during the time of the civil war know the depressing effect it had on religious
effort in all parts of the State. At the end of two years Brother Anderson found himself compelled to follow secular
pursuits for a living, but he still preached for the church in Ukiah twice a month as his appointments were withdrawn
from the outlying territory. The interest in church matters growing still less and less, he ceased toward the close
of the war to preach more than once a month and continued thus to preach until September, 1868, having accomplished
by the aid of a few faithful ones in that time of trial and affliction the worthy object of holding together the
remnant of Israel until a more propitious season should dawn upon the church.
"During Brother Anderson's stay he was visited in the year 1860 by old Brother Porter whose name was honored
wherever his venerable and benignant face was known, and was assisted by him in a protracted meeting at Ukiah and
in Little Lake valley.
"Old Father Thompson, the well known father of disciples and pioneer preacher, also came in the fall of 1861
and held a protracted meeting in the Courthouse which resulted in several valuable accessions, among others the
Hon. J. B. Lamar, afterwards County Judge of Mendocino county, and at present Attorney at Law in San Francisco.
By the efforts of Brother Lamar and others a movement was set on foot to build a meeting house, for as yet the
infant congregation was without a local habitation,' occupying generally a room in the Courthouse.
"By referring to the records of Mendocino county I learn that on January 6, 1863, D. W. Smith ceded to James
Anderson, Bennet Hereford and David Crockett, trustees of the Christian Church, block No. 23 in the town of Ukiah.
This deed gave only a possessory claim as it turned out, for afterwards the property was determined to belong to
the grant instead of being government land. On October 26, 1866, S. Clinton Hastings, John Currey and Horace W.
Carpentier, by their Attorney in fact, William Devlin, ceded to the same trustees the same piece of land. It was
solely owing to the efforts of the Hon. R. McGarvey, at present Superior Judge of this county, that the last and
only valid deed to the property was secured.
"As near as I can get at it the old house of worship was started in the year 1862, and a shelter was ready
for the winter of 1862-3, though the struggling membership was not able to seat the building.
"In 1864 Brother J. N. Pendegast (familiarly and generally known as Uncle Pendy) and Brother J. W. McCorkle
held a successful meeting in the then new meeting - house. Brother Pendegast has lately gone to his reward. I stop
here to offer my tribute to his incomparable worth. A genial Christian gentleman he was at home among the rich
and poor, and it seemed to me that his almost boundless acquaintances felt for him a veneration and love which
I never saw equaled. During this meeting occurred a scene which can be best described by quoting from a recent
letter from Brother James Anderson. He says:-
"One of the saddest scenes took place I ever witnessed. A Sister Thomas, of Potter valley, had come to attend
the meeting. Apparently in good health, one night in coming to the house of worship, she complained of feeling
unwell and shortness of breath. By the time she got in front of the door she was very much exhausted and sat down
by the side of the door gasping for breath. A sister was with her, and finding she grew rapidly worse gave information
to my wife and others in the house. By this time singing had begun. In a minute or two my wife rushed in the house
and called for a doctor. Two being present, both answered the call - Doctors Pierson and Hall. I then went out
to see what was the trouble, and found Sister Thomas struggling for breath, and both doctors trying to relieve
her. By this time it had become known inside the house, and the utmost confusion resulted. The attending physicians
ordered her to be taken inside the house, and in a few minutes she expired, and her spirit took its flight to that
better land. This event paralyzed our meeting from which we never recovered, during its continuance. From this
I learned that intense excitements are not beneficial in protracted meetings.'
About 1866 the house of worship was finally seated and finished by the aid of Baptists and South Methodist brethren,
who had the use of the house one Sunday each in every month until they erected separate buildings "In September,
1868, Brother Anderson removed to Contra Costa county. The next brother who labored here regularly was H. C. Lyle,
followed by Brother James Logan, and he by Brother James W. Webb. After Brother Webb Brother Lyle was recalled;
and then after his stay with us Brother James Logan returned and left last year in the spring.
"In the spring of 1878 was begun the new meeting house, while Brother Logan was here. In January of the present
year we entered into the new house for regular worship.
"The writer came here in July, 1879; and commenced preaching for the church in September of the same year.
It would be unnecessary and tedious to name all the preachers who have assisted in the work at this place, but
I cannot forbear to mention a very sad affair that occurred in the fall of 1874.
"Brother M. Terry, a young man of promise, came to Ukiah to teach in the public school and labor for the church.
In the evening of Sunday, October 18, 1874, Brother Terry, having already prepared himself to attend religious
services, retired to his room for a few minutes, and as he was removing a gun which was in the room, accidentally
shot himself. He lived from that time, about 6 P. M., until about 4 o'clock of the following morning. He was able
to converse long enough to tell the sad circumstances of the accident.
"During the whole time of the church's existence here there has been more or less preaching done in Little
Lake valley and Potter valley, and at one time there were flourishing congregations at each place. When I came
to the county one year ago I found the congregations at both these places had gone down because of removals and
no continuous work. I began in this year to preach in both places and have found a faithful few in Little Lake
valley as earnest as ever in the cause of Christ. At present I preach half the time at Ukiah and one Sunday of
each month in Willitsville and Pomo. "The new meeting house is about completed, with the exception of suitable
seats, and is one of the most commodious and convenient buildings for worship in the town.
"While in the great warfare against sin in the last quarter of a century we have had many struggles, we feel
thankful to God for all his blessings, and hope that in the future we will be found true to the great interests
of the Master."
Presbyterian Church. - This church society was organized April 4, 1874, by the Rev. Thomas Fraser, missionary agent
for the Pacific coast, in connection with the Presbytery of Benicia and the Synod of the Pacific. The organizing
members were Morton Wagonseller, Clara S. Wagonseller, Mary J. Gilmore, Mary D. Barnes, Miss Fannie T. Lamar, Miss
Lucinda J. Reeves, Lapping Reeves, Mrs. Jane B Florence, S. C. Florence, G. A. Hocker and Hannah Hockey. The following
named pastors have been called to fill the pulpit for this congregation: Rev. J. Keime, Rev. E. Holliday and Rev.
H. B. McBride, the latter of whom was installed as pastor during the present year (1880).
The following report of the work accomplished by this church was read before the Presbytery April 1, 1880: "The
church in Ukiah has had a home provided and opened for use this year. The work has been progressing, and has claimed
a large share of the religious energy of our people. It is a building tasteful, comfortable and substantial, and
is about to be secured to our people by the funds of the Board of Church Erection. The edifice was begun in 1877
and completed in June, 1879, at a cost of $4,000. The Sunday school was organized October 12, 1879, and we have
a corps of officers and teachers who are very faithful and efficient. We use the Westminister lesson helps, and
hold weekly prayer meetings for the purpose of discussing the lessons every Friday evening. The salary fund is
raised by the rental of pews and the plan works well, and the contributions are fair and increasing. The present
membership of the church is thirty three, and of the Sunday school one hundred and twelve."
At the time of the dedication of the Presbyterian Church in Ukiah one of the local papers had this to say concerning
it, and as it contains many facts regarding the building we reproduce it here.
"The new Presbyterian Church, is one of the handsomest little houses of worship in the country, and its tapering
spire is one of the objects which attracts the eye of visitors approaching the town. Its cost is $4,000, and its
seating capacity three hundred. The work of construction was commenced in 1877, by C. D. Osborne, contractor, from
plans by Bugbee & Son, San Francisco, and was completed last spring. The Presbyterian Church at Mendocino is
built from the same plans, which have been materially modified and the cost lessened in the Ukiah edifice. The
church is Gothic in style; its inside dimensions are thirty two by fifty two feet, and twenty two feet in the clear.
It is lighted by seven windows. Its facade is flanked on the west by a tower twelve by twelve feet, and forty four
feet high, supporting a spire of forty three feet, surmounted by a vane ten and a half feet high, or a total height,
measuring from the floor, of ninety seven and a half feet. The interior is celled with heavy grooved lumber, is
painted in delicate shades of blue. The pulpit and choir are located in the south end. The building is lighted
by side lamps and heated by a furnace. As it stands completed and paid for, it is an evidence of the activity and
liberality of its congregation, and of our citizens who have contributed to its completion. The dedication sermon
was preached by Rev. Dr. Scott, of San Francisco."
Methodist Episcopal Church. - We regret very much indeed that we are not able to present a more extended notice
of the work of this body of Christian people in Mendocino county, especially in the Ukiah circuit. We were promised
a full report by Rev. Mr. Bluett, but either from the fact that his time was too fully occupied or some other cause
that we know not of, he failed to supply us with the needed information. Such facts as we have we present, however,
and only state the above that we may not be placed in the false light of partiality. The first organization of
a Methodist Episcopal Church Society in Ukiah occurred in July, 1858. The preachers who visited the place and accomplished
the establishment of the church were Revs. Hinman and Leard. The first society consisted of eleven members, and
twelve acres of land were bought for camp meeting purposes. In 1862, the present church building was erected in
Ukiah through the exertions of Rev. W. S. Bryant. In 1865, the society built a neat parsonage on the land adjoining
their church edifice, sixteen by twenty four feet in size. The church still owns considerable land in Ukiah, and
is well situated financially The Ukiah circuit embraces all the places where service is held in Anderson valley,
and also some others in Ukiah valley.
Catholic Church. - The Catholic Church was erected in Ukiah in 1870. It is a neat edifice, and a credit to that
body of Christians. For a full report of the work of this church in Mendocino county, the reader is referred to
the report made by Rev. Father Sheridan, embodied in the history of Big River township.
NEWSPAPERS. - Some one has very truthfully remarked that the United States is a country where every man
carries a newspaper in his pocket, nor does he keep it there all of the time either, with its light hid "
under a bushel," as it were, in the dark recesses of his vesture, but at every odd moment of the day, and
often far into the night, he may be seen conning its contents, perusing with avidity and evident pleasure and interest
its every line and word. The Americans are pre eminently a reading people, and the result of it is evidenced on
every hand. The groomsman is better posted on the issues of the day than the capitalist whom he drives in his carriage.
The servant girl now reads too much, so they who employ her say, and is too well posted to do her drudgery in the
slavishness of ignorance that once pervaded them as a class. While the tradespeople, the mechanic and the small
dealer, all share freely and equally with the best in the land, in the great intellectual rfeast that is spread
every morning broadcast throughout the land. The cities have their morning and evening dailies, and every country
town of any size, and often the merest hamlet, boasts its hebdomadal folio, or quarto, which serve their office
well and truly. Nor has Ukiah been behind the towns and cities in this respect, for from her early youth she has
had a paper published within her precincts.
The Herald. - In November, 1860, the first number of this paper was issued by the late Hon. E. R. Budd. It was
a small folio, but was always full of news, except when the proprietor was absent, and left the columns in the
charge of some subaltern. In those early days, before the roads were thoroughly established, and regular communication
with the city had thereby, oftentimes in the winter season Ukiah became practically weather bound for weeks at
a time, and some curiosities in the size and color of paper are to be found among the old files of this paper.
In politics it was Republican.
The Constitutional Democrat. - This paper was established in 1864 under the proprietorship of A. T. Perkins &
Co., and the editorial supervision of Hon. William Holden. In politics it was Democratic, first, last, and all
the time, and as it was born of a political travail, and with a political destiny, having the bone and sinew of
the party in Mendocino county as its sponsors and godfathers, and the strong right arm of the champion of the cause
to nurse it, it grew and developed into a mighty organ, but not so much can be said of its local columns, as they
were often left to shift for themselves, and had, too frequently to be content with the husks of "dead ads."
The Democratic Weekly Dispatch. - This journal was established in October, 1873, by Mat. Lynch, and was known as
the Independent Weekly Dispatch. It was, in politics, what its name indicated up to the date of the death of its
founder, February 20, 1874. Mrs. Belle Lynch, widow of the deceased proprietor, assumed control, such being the
expressed desire of her husband before his death. Shortly thereafter, the name of the paper was changed to that
of the Democratic Weekly Dispatch. While it was a well conducted independent newspaper, under Mr. Mat. Lynch's
management, under that of Mrs. Belle Lynch it became rich, racy and spicy, and always true to the faith of the
Democratic party. March 16, 1878, Gambee & Hoffman became the proprietors. E. B Gambee became proprietor August
2, 1878, and retained sole control till July, 1879, when C. J. Williams was associated with its publication. On
the 10th of April, 1880, H. A. Peabody and A. W. Sefton, under the firm title of Peabody & Sefton, purchased
the paper, and are now laboring to build it up to that standard of excellence and influence which it should hold.
Like all country newspapers, it has had its ups and downs, has won victories and met with defeats. It has had the
largest circulation of any paper in the county, and that was during the period of Mrs. Lynch's reign, and it has
been in as great disfavor with the public as any paper could possibly desire to be placed. Under its present management
it has a bright prospect before it, and will undoubtedly soon stand in the front ranks of journalism, where it
rightly belongs. It is a wonderful war horse for the Democracy, and deserves the patronage of every member of that
party in the county. There is a fully equipped job office connected with this paper, and as both its proprietors
are practical printers of long standing and eminent skill good work is the natural result.
The Ukiah City Press. - This paper first threw itself upon the mercies of the public July 4, 1877, under the tutelage
of its owner and projector, E. J. Handley, lately from Modesto. There had been no Republican newspaper in the county
since the Herald sold out to the Mendocino Democrat. In recognizing the need of an organ and exponent of the faith
that was in them, the Republicans of the county warmly welcomed the advent of the Press. Mr. Handley continued
in charge of it until October, 1878, when he went East, leaving the paper in the hands of an attorney to sell,
and its management in his foreman's charge. January 1, 1879, it was purchased by A. O. Carpenter, and in February
Mr. Charles S Paine became associated with him under the firm name of Carpenter & Co., since which time the
Press has continued a sprightly, dignified, independent newspaper, devoted to local news and the discussion of
home topics of interest, the fostering of home enterprises and the development of the industrial interests of the
county. That its independence of thought, unequivocal expression of opinion on all leading topics is appreciated,
is best made known by its subscription list and the commendation it receives alike from political friends and opponents.
It has a very large bona fide circulation, which is steadily increasing. A fine job office is connected with it,
and many tasty specimens of typographical skill have emanated from its hands.
The Mendocino County Democrat. - This paper is published in Ukiah by Alexander Montgomery. This is all we know
about it, and repeated solicitations failed to elicit further facts.
SAW MILLS. - The first mill built in Ukiah township was located on the Ackerman creek, about five miles
northwest of Ukiah. E. Pryor put it in operation in 1859, and it continued to run till 1868. Its machinery consisted
of a sash saw, and a set of buhrs, and its capacity was three thousand feet per day; it was driven by water. The
grist machinery was taken to the Cleveland mill in Coyote valley, and the sawing apparatus to the Hatch mill in
The second saw mill put in operation in Ukiah township was built by Stephen Holden in 1861, and was located in
the canon about two miles west of Ukiah; it was run by water power, and had an over shot wheel fifty feet in diameter.
The saw was a sash; and the capacity of the mill was small; not being over one thousand feet daily. It was run
for about three years, and the machinery was then taken to Pryor's mill.
FLOUR MILLS. - The first grist mill built in the township was erected by Barham in 1858, and was located
about four miles southeast of Ukiah, on Mill creek. It has at present two run of stone, and a small barley cracker,
and has a capacity of fifteen barrels every twelve hours; its power is both steam and water.
A grist mill was run in connection with the saw mill by E. Pryor, and was built in 1859. But little is known of
this mill now, except that the machinery was subsequently taken to the mill in Coyote valley.
The present Ukiah City Mills were originally located at Calpella, and the machinery was moved to Ukiah, in 1867,
by H. Wichelhausen. In 1874, William Isbell became the propropietor of the mill, and since that time great improvements
have been made, and in fact the building has been almost entirely rebuilt. There arc now two run of buhrs, and
the capacity is thirty barrels every twelve hours. There is a barley cracker which is also used for grinding corn.
UKIAH WATER WORKS. - The water with which the City of Ukiah is supplied comes from a beautiful stream, which
flows down out of the mountains to the westward of town. A dam is placed across the brooklet, and the water conveyed
in a flume a distance of seventy five yards, where it is deposited in two tanks, each twenty feet long, ten feet
wide and ten feet high. From thence it is conducted in mains to and through the town, and service pipes lead to
the houses. The tanks are located about one mile west of the plaza, and the water has a good head on it in any
part of the city. The water is most excellent for all purposes, being clear and pure, but in the summer season
it is not desirable for drinking purposes, being of course quite warm. Good water is also found by digging for
MAXIM GAS WORKS. - On the 23d day of February, 1872, permission was granted to the Maxim Gas Company by
the Board of Supervisors to lay mains and pipes in the streets of Ukiah. The company had a capital stock of $5,000
and the shares were held at $50 each. The original machinery could supply one hundred and fifty lights, but only
about one half of that number were used. It did not prove to be a paying institution and it finally suspended,
and the apparatus was purchased by a private party. The capacity of the machinery has since been increased to two
hundred and fifty lights. The gas is generated from gasoline.
UKIAH BREWERY. - This enterprise was set on foot by ____ Closner in 1869, and in 1875 it became the property
of its present proprietor, S. Wurtenberg. Its capacity is five barrels at one brewing, and the stock used, both
barley and hops, is grown in the valley. The territory supplied by this brewery embraces the entire northeastern
portion of Mendocino county. It is put up in bottles and kegs for the market.
UKIAH CITY SCHOOLS. - The building now in use for school purposes, was erected by a joint stock company
for a seminary in 1870, but that enterprise failed for lack of patronage. The building was constructed of brick
and is a very fine one, costing $12,000, originally. In 1871 the trustees of the Ukiah school district purchased
it for $9,000, including the tract of ten acres which D. Gobbi had donated to the seminary. There are four school
rooms in it, and it is amply sufficient for all the needs of Ukiah at present, and will be for several years to
UKIAH BUSINESS DIRECTORY. - Below we append a classified statement of the business interests of Ukiah City:
General merchandise, eight; grocery stores, one; saloons, seven; shoe store, one; shoe shops, three; drug stores,
two; hotels, three; restaurant, one; bakery, one; millinery stores, three; blacksmith shops, two; livery stables,
four; meat markets, two; barber shops, three; gunsmith, one; stove and hardware stores, two; furniture stores,
two; harness shops, two; jewelry stores, two; photograph gallery one; tailors, two; wagonmakers, two; painters,
two; lumber yards, two.
PROFESSIONAL DIRECTORY. - Lawyers, fourteen; physicians, five; dentists, three.
THE FUTURE. - The future outlook for Ukiah is certainly flattering, and while it may not increase very fast
in size its growth will be steady and substantial. The one need above all others is a railroad, which there is
a strong probability will be put in operation to that point at no great distant day.
[Return to part 1 of Ukiah History.]