History of Yountville, CA
From: History of Solano County, California
By: Marguerite Hunt
And
Napa County, California.
By: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago 1926


This town is located about nine miles north of Napa on the main Highway to Calistoga. This was the home of George C. Yount, the original settler of the county. This place was known as Sebastopol until 1867, when the name was changed to Yountville. The town was built upon both sides of the line of the Caymus grant; those living on the grant wanted to call it Yountville, while those outside of the grant called their side Sebastopol. This will account for the two names.

The first place of business was a store which was erected in the town in 1855. In 1856 the Sebastopol Exchange Hotel was built by Dave Wise and a man by the name of Clayton built the hotel known as the White House. J. H. Robinson had a blacksmith shop also. In 1856 W. B. Arnold built a store in the town. The town is operated under a township government. E. C. Starkey is justice of peace and A. B. Patten is constable.

CHURCHES.

The Baptist Church was organized May 14, 1874. In 1881 it had 60 members. It is now used as a Community Church, services being held by outside ministers. Its probable value is about $6,000.

Joan of Arc Catholic Church was organized within the last few years. The resident priest is Father Francis McCarthy.

Membership about 75.

The town has four stores, two restaurants, two halls, blacksmith shop, post office, etc. A new Community Auditorium has just been completed, which is commodious and up to date.

The Veterans' Home is located adjourning the town of Yountville. It was incorporated in 1882. The Home is for all honorably discharged soldiers of the Civil, Mexican and Spanish wars and there are today upwards of 1,000 old heroes who claim this magnificent spot as their domicile. The buildings are equipped with all the modern conveniences which tend to make their sojourn here peaceful and pleasant. The cost of improvements since the Home was established amounts to upwards of half a million dollars. This institution is now the property of the State, having been donated to it by the Veterans' Home Association.

MONTICELLO.

Monticello is located in the lower end of Berryessa valley about 27 miles north of Napa. The first house was built in 1866 by E. A. Peacock. It was a dwelling house and was followed the same year by another dwelling and a blacksmith shop erected by B. F. Davis. In 1867 David Talley erected a hotel building, which was known as the Fitch Hotel. In the same year I. N. Van Neys started a store. ____ Beck started a blacksmith shop also. Monticello is the only town in the fertile Berryessa valley. This valley has been for years a vast grain district but for several years the large tracts or ranches have been broken up into smaller holdings and many acres are being planted to fruit trees, with the prospect that in the not far distant future, the valley will be one of the best fruit producing districts in the State.

Large oil wells are being bored which show good indications of a big flow and the oil is of a very high grade so high that many of the farmers use the seepage from the mountains for lubricating their farm machinery.

A Community Hall was built some years ago which takes care of their community meetings, secret societies, etc., as occasion may require. They have a Union Church and Sunday School with church services held twice a month. The outlook for Monticello's prosperity is good.


Return to [ California History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ California Biographies ]


California Counties at this web site - Colusa County - Contra Costa County - Imperial County - Marin County - Mendocino County - Napa County - Riverside County - San Mateo County - Santa Clara County - Solano County - Yolo County -


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy