History of Colma, California
From: The Story of San Mateo County, California
By: Roy W. Cloud
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Colma, which bounds Daly City on the south, is one of the oldest communities of San Mateo County, and truck
farmers made their headquarters here where the highway branches over to the coast side of the county. The oldest
settler of the section for many years was Honorable R. S. Thornton who early saw the advantages to be derived from
an urban settlement so close to the boundaries of a big municipality. Mr. Thornton owned and controlled considerable
property in northern San Mateo County and numerous lawsuits were engaged in to make sure his title to his lands.
Mr. Thornton lived to be over ninety years of age and on many occasions would tell of the stirring events of the
early history of San Mateo County. A signal honor was done him in naming one of the schools of the Jefferson District
the R. S. Thornton School. Of the early settlers of this section were the Caseys, and James T. Casey, who for years
was a supervisor of San Mateo County representing the first township, was a son of the family. Others who lived
in the neighborhood of Colma were the Bellis who maintained for years the pioneer grocery of the section; the Callan
family, the sons of which have been prominent in civic and political affairs; Hon. Henry Ward Brown, who for years
represented California in the lower house of the state legislature; the Pierce family of which Harry Pierce, a
son, still resides in Colma; the Oaks; the Fabers; Angelo Stampanoni; the Collopys; the Milletts, and of this family
Joe and Mike were prominent pugilists in their day; and the Lagomarsinos.