History of Daly City, California
From: The Story of San Mateo County, California
By: Roy W. Cloud
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company.
Chicago, Ill 1928

DALY CITY
San Francisco where it spreads over into San Mateo County changes its title as a municipality and becomes known as Daly City. This rapidly growing section was originally known as the Sand Hill section of the county and in the early days played an important part in the political history. Located here were the large milk ranches of John Daly, W. H. Kinnie, Nick Hanson and others. Here also were located the hog ranches where the refuse of San Francisco was hauled. These ranches were for a number of years a cause of constant bickering which frequently reached the Board of Supervisors when permits were sought and finally legislation was passed which relegated these highly profitable, but ill smelling ventures to points back from the traveled highways.

Daly City was first subdivided by the Knowles estate in 1906 and became a refugee settlement for hundreds of families who had lost practically everything in the earthquake of April 18, 1906. The refugees were permitted to build the little shacks which dotted the hillsides in the southern end of San Francisco and the northern end of San Mateo counties, and which later gave way to comfortable homes of contented, industrious workers of the metropolis. The election for the incorporation of Daly City was held on the 18th of March, 1911, and the report to the supervisors of San Mateo County on the 20th of the same month gave official notice that a new municipality had entered into the family of cities of the sixth class of San Mateo County. The vote at the election was 138 for and 136 against incorporation. The officers who were elected at that first election were:

Martin Oberhaus ----Trustee
Al. J. Green ---- Trustee
Edward Freyer ---- Trustee (Mayor during 2 year term)
T. J. Mullins ---- Trustee
Dennis Quillinan ---- Trustee
Walter J. White ---- City Clerk
T. Sheehan ---- Treasurer

The officers since that first election were :
April, 1912
Charles L. Biebel ---- Trustee
Edward Freyer ---- Trustee
A. J. Green ---- Trustee
Silvio A. Landini ---- Trustee
Berton C. Ross ---- Trustee (Mayor during two year term)

April 13, 1914
Thomas P. Moran ---- Trustee
Silvio A. Landini ---- Trustee
Charles L. Biebel ---- Trustee
Geo. N. Smith ---- City Clerk
T. Sheehan ---- Treasurer
B. C. Ross ---- Mayor during 2 year term

Election April 10, 1916
Frank B. Woodhouse ---- Trustee (Mayor during 2 year term)
Berton C. Ross ---- Trustee
Joseph Allen Meeks ---- Trustee
Timothy F. O'Rourk ---- Trustee
Charles L. Biebel ---- City Clerk
Alfred L. Stockton ---- Treasurer

Election April 18, 1918
Joseph Allen Meeks ---- Trustee
Timothy F. O'Rourk ---- Trustee
High H. Smith ---- Trustee (Mayor during 2 year term)
Charles L. Biebel ---- City Clerk
Alfred L. Stockton ---- Treasurer

Election April 12, 1920
Henry Sundermann ---- Trustee
F. C. Hensley ---- Trustee
Charles L. Biebel ---- City Clerk
Alfred L. Stockton ---- Treasurer
H. H. Smith ---- Mayor during 2 year term

Election April 10, 1922
Thomas P. Moran ---- Trustee
Timothy F. O'Rourk ---- Trustee
H. H. Smith ---- Trustee (Mayor during 2 year term)

Election April 14, 1924
Henry Sundermann ---- Trustee
Arthur Bodien ---- Trustee
B. C. Ross ---- City Clerk
Alfred L. Stockton ---- Treasurer
H. H. Smith ---- Mayor during 2 year term

Election April 12, 1926
Thomas P. Moran ---- Trustee
H. H. Smith ---- Trustee
Timothy F. O'Rourk ---- Trustee
H. H. Smith ---- Mayor during 2 year term

At an early date the post office of Daly City became a branch of the San Francisco post office and regular city deliveries were established, and the substation is under the direction of the postmaster of San Francisco. The state highway which passes through the entire length of the city is the main artery of the municipality and on each side of this thoroughfare the business houses of the section are located.

Daly City is part of the Jefferson School district which has been presided over since 1906 by Mr. William J. Savage who has not only served his district faithfully and well, but has also served almost continuously since that time as a member of the County Board of Education of San Mateo County and has acted as president of that educational body during many years of his incumbency. Mr. Savage also has charge of the elementary schools of Colma and Lawnsdale. The high school in Daly City was established five years ago and for the first five years of its existence was under the direction of Mr. Neil O. Best. Mr. James Ferguson has been principal since July 1, 1927. A beautiful mission style building was erected, and completed in April, 1925. This building is located on part of the old Union Coursing park where in the days gone by the sporting public of San Francisco enjoyed coursing and racing, but the wave of sentiment which followed the earthquake put this line out of business about 1906 and the coursing park until it was acquired for school property was used for the raising of vegetables for San Francisco. The arena which was located on Sickles Avenue within fifty feet of the San Francisco County line, was for many years the prize fighting center of California, and here James W. Coffroth, known as Sunny Jim, staged the fistic battle which made California famous as the center of fistiania and here the leather pushers in the days gone by fought unlimited fights and in the neighboring hotels the training quarters which were set up attracted fight followers from all over the country. Mr. Coffroth located his arena in this position in San Mateo County because of the fact that here he could secure police protection from San Francisco, the jurisdiction of the police of San Mateo County and San Francisco County extending 100 feet on each side of the boundary, which gave him in this particular place metropolitan protection in a suburban area. When legislation was passed by the California legislature abolishing prize fighting or rather, making short round goes the only kind of fights that could be indulged in, Mr. Coffroth abandoned his project and then took up his residence in Tia Juana, Mexico, where the sky has always been the limit.


Return to [ California History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ California Biographies ]


California Counties at this web site - Colusa County - Contra Costa County - Imperial County - Marin County - Mendocino County - Napa County - Riverside County - San Mateo County - Santa Clara County - Solano County - Yolo County -


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy