The city of Lawndale, which is in the southern end of the Jefferson School District, was incorporated by a vote
of 39 for and 36 against incorporation. The petition was presented to the supervisors May 19, 1924. The election
was held August 1, 1924, and formal incorporation was perfected August 4, 1924.
Lawndale is the city of cemeteries. The officers of this municipality are Charles F. Frahm, M. Jensen, Joseph J.
Lagomarsino, W. A. Newell, C. J. Newell, Sr., trustees, with M. Jensen as president of the board or mayor. The
other officers of Lawndale are : E. A. Weisenburger, clerk; Henry Keeps, treasurer; Joseph Cavalli, marshal; Walter
K. Slack, recorder; Hall C. Ross, attorney.
The first cemetery established within the confines of Lawndale was Holy Cross, which was consecrated by the Roman
Catholic Church as holy ground in 1887; The Home of Peace, wherein the Jewish population might find burial for
their dead, in 1888; The Hills of Eternity, also a Jewish burial place, in 1889; Cypress Lawn, without doubt one
of the most beautiful non sectarian cemeteries in the United States, opened in 1892: Salem, a Jewish cemetery,
in 1893; the Italian cemetery, in 1894; Mount Olivet, in 1896; Eternal Home, in 1903: Greeniawn, known as the Odd
Fellows, and Woodlawn, known as the Masonic cemeteries, in 1905.
The population of Lawndale could the dead be counted would number way into the thousands, but as to the actual
living population it is very small and is made up almost entirely of the superintendents and employes of the various
cemeteries. The value of the land in this section would be about two thousand dollars per acre, but after the development
into cemetery lots surveyed, plotted, marked, roads constructed, lawns established with trees and shrubs planted,
and all piped for water, and covered by a fund to perpetuate the upkeep, the value has become approximately $60,000
An air of quiet covers this whole city and as daily countless processions of mourners come with their dear ones
and leave them in the all embracing care of old mother earth, this is indeed one of the saddest municipalities
not only of San Mateo County, but perhaps, of the whole world. And yet, it is one of the beauty spots and as those
who have laid their dead away return from time to time, the beautiful lawns, the well kept shrubs, and the towering
trees give to it almost a spirit of sanctity.