Harwinton
From the Connecticut Historical Collection
BY John Warner Barbour
Published 1836


Free Trial - Ancestry.com World Deluxe Membership

-----------------------------------------------------------



HARWINTON originally consisted of two half townships, one part belonging to Hartford, and the other to the Windsor proprietors. The first settlers were also from Hartford and Windsor. The town is said to have derived its name from the names of the towns Hartford, Windsor, and Farniington, Har-win-ton. "The six first settlers were Messenger, Brace, Hopkins, Webster, Phelps, and Wilson. These were on the lands before the division and sale of them in 1732. The settlement of the town is considered as having been made in 1731. It was incorporated in October, 1737. The first minister was the Rev. Andrew Bartholomew, ordained about the year 1736."

Harwinton is bounded N. by New Hartford and Torrington, W. by the Naugatuc river separating it from Litchfield, E. by Burlington, and S. by Plymouth. It is 6 miles in length and upwards of 5 in width. The township is elevated and hilly, with granite rocks. The lands are best adapted for grazing, and the making of butter and cheese is a leading agricultural interest. There is one house for public worship in the town, which is for Congregationalists. The central part of the town is 8 miles from Litchfiefd; 23 from Hartford, and 40 from New Haven. The number of inhabitants in 1810, was 1,718; in 1830, the number was reduced to 1,516.

Return to [ Connecticut Towns ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy