The town was laid out by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company, on the southwest quarter of
section 21, Leroy township, September 23. 1878. This land was claimed and squatted on as a homestead by one Edward
Robinson. The growth of the town was phenomenal. It was promoted not only by the prestige of the railroad company,
but also, among others, by the influence of Ethelbert J. Freeman and Capt. Charles Stuart, public spirited gentlemen,
who devoted their energies to building a town in the then wilderness. It started with an auction sale of its town
lots on October 15, 1878; and the first day's sales aggregated six thousand one hundred and ninety dollars. Before
night work was begun building business houses, which continued vigorously through the winter; and for several years
afterward, and even to the present time, periodically.
Alex H. Roberts, who has since continuously lived at Audubon, and who attended that lot sale and then bought the
lot upon which his store is now situated, on December 16, 1878, wrote to his home paper at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa,
an account of the new town of Audubon, describing its progress, conditions, prospects, etc. It is the best account
of Audubon at that period yet found. Mr. Roberts wrote:
"When I first visited this place, October 15, the day the lots were first offered for sale, there was not
a completed house in the place, and but three or four in course of erection. Today we have over fifty houses and
the different businesses are represented about as follow: One bank, five general stores, one jewelry store, two
hotels, one restaurant, three meat markets, three blacksmith shops, one harness shop, one livery stable, two coal
yards, two lumber yards, one elevator, three grain dealers, etc. A school house. twenty two by thirty feet, was
completed ten days ago, and school opened last Monday, with fourteen scholars and Bob Hunter, teacher. * * The
county seat is located at Exira, a village thirteen miles from here, near the south end of the county, and will,
I think, without doubt, be removed to this place next fall. (Which proved to be prophetic.) Although it is now
mid winter and the mercury lingers near zero, yet the sound of the saw and hammer is to be heard on all sides,
and only last week three large business houses were commenced, and I understand another banking house and hardware
store, two stories high, besides many smaller ones, are to be built this winter. * * * The railroad was completed
December 6. and since that time not less than ten thousand bushels of corn have been hauled in here, and four carloads
of wheat shipped. A depot twenty four by one hundred feet is now being built."
A month later a local newspaper contained a flaming description of the new city:
"THEN AND NOW.
"Don't it beat the royal star spangled American! But a few short months ago, in the place where we now
sit, encircled by all that exalts and embellishes civilized life (perhaps), the rank thistle nodded in the wind,
and the wild polecat flipped his caudal appendage in the prairie grass, or words to that effect. Pshaw! We thought
we were running a Sunday school paper in Exira! It is not often that we get sentimental! But what we started out
to say is this: Less than four months ago we roamed around over this town plat, trying to trace out the streets
and alleys by the short stakes planted a short time before in the high prairie grass. Not a building had been erected,
and in fact there were no signs that any would be erected for some time to come. The grass had already been killed
by the autumn frosts, and the cold wind betokened winter at hand. Nearly every one predicted that nothing would
be attempted in the way of building until springtime. Today (January 22, 1879,) we are sitting in a handsome two
story building. In the rear room two presses are running, and their incessant click! click! click! announces that
the 'art preservative' has found its way to the 'new town,' as it was then called. Around us are papers and books,
in profusion, and several persons - strangers to us then - some reading, some talking; but all here to make a home.
In front is a fine street, and scores of teams and busy people hurrying to and fro; the iron horse is snorting
and puffing beside a magnificent depot, and passengers are leaving the train and hurrying to hotels and other places.
Half a dozen dray teams are hauling goods up the streets; the hotel bells are ringing to call the many new comer
guests to dinner; the sound of the tools used in nearly all trades can be heard; upward of a hundred buildings,
many of them magnificent ones, adorn the town plat, and we see Audubon, then a naked tract of prairie, now a veritable
and flourishing young city, the liveliest of its age in Iowa - as hundreds who see it every day freely admit. We
venture the prediction that in one year from today the population of the place will reach nearly one thousand.
And why not? It is tributary to, and will command, the entire trade of as beautiful country as the sun ever shone
on, for a distance of fifteen miles, east, north and west, and about half that distance south."
FIRST BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
During the winter of 1878-9 the following professional firms and business houses were established: Land agent-Ethelbert
J. Freeman. Lawyers - Henry W. Hanna, Joseph L. Stotts. Melvin Nichols, Nash & Phelps, J. Mack Love, Frank
M. Van Pelt, Matt Matthews, Benjamin F. Thacker, John H. Carroll, all from Exira; H. U. Funk, John W. McCord, J.
O. Andrews, T. J. Reigart. Physicians - John D. Holmes, from Hamlin; Hugh Bell, John F. Cloughly, Joseph T. Breniman,
Peter M. Sheafor, R. H. Brown. Jeweller - Elias W. Beghtol. Railroad agent - Ebenezer C. Brown. Hotels - D. H.
Walker, from Exira; Reynolds House; Matthias & Gaylord, from Arcadia. Boarding house - John Steiner, from Carroll.
Bank - Van Gorder & Whitney, from Exira. Drug stroes - Alex. H. Roberts, from Mt. Pleasant; William Claughly,
from Mitchellville. General stores - Benjamin F. Howald. from Atlantic; E. H. Ryan, from Council Bluff; E. M. Funk;
Wilson Burnside, from Carroll. Grocers - Gleason & Lundy, from Red Oak; J. F. Wells, from Anita; A. S. Hatch.
Hardware - Martin & Keller. from Atlantic; Stephen H. Shryver, from Bloomington, Illinois. Furniture and undertaking
- Horace Prentice, from Mechanicsville. Meat markets - Chester W. Wheeler, from Viola; Samuel Hunter, from Exira.
Livery stable - Gardner & Baxter, from Arcadia. Harness maker - David E. Soar, from Exira. Shoemaker - John
Both. Graindealer - Wilson Burnside, from Carroll. Grain, lumber, lime and coal - Charley Stuart & Son, from
Neponset, Illinois. Lumber - A. A. Hubbard, from Atlantic. Coal and grain - Frank H. Burr, from Atlantic. Contractors
and builders - J. H. Carruthers, H. C. Paul, P. McKinley. Drayman - James A. Pollett. Saloons - Sanford Boatman,
from Atlantic; John Frahm, from Davenport; J. E. Tucker, from Boone. Public buildings - Railroad depot, school
During the year 1879 the present court house was erected by the railroad company and its use was tendered to the
county for five years free of cost, in case the county seat should be brought to Audubon. Charles Stuart &
Son erected the finest brick office, for their extensive business, of the kind to be found in Iowa. At the general
election the same year it was voted that the county seat be changed from Exira to Audubon, which was accordingly
The following new business interests were also established in 1879: Lawyers - John M. Griggs. from Exira; A. F.
Bell. Dentist - Doctor Hoover. Hotels - E. Weston, J. H. Grant. Restaurant and bakery - Emil Bilharz, from Seneca,
Illinois. Drug store - Joseph T. Breniman. Merchants - Lundy Brothers, C. Eghert, Elkanah S. Foster. John F. Consigney,
Frank Gleason, Evan Davis, John H. Kate, Mallory & Jay. Noah Keller, Shryver & Mundy. Furniture - O. C.
Jewett, W. H. Miller. Scott Brothers. Agent for implements - Williams & Morrow. Meat market - A. A. Zaner.
Liverymen - I. N. Simpson. W. P. Gardner, Goodwin Thompson. Harness maker - Louis Tramp. Shoemaker - John Ott.
Barber - Wilson D. Blackwood. Blacksmiths - Neil Ross. Keen & Jump. R. G. Sands, H. B. Wilson. Milliners -
Mrs. Frank Gleason, Mrs. Newmire, Miss Donaldson. Photographers - T. B. Mendenhall. I. E. Hilsaheck. Grain dealer
- George Gray, from Gray. Lumber dealer - H. Umphrey. Draymen - James Bennefield, Joseph Allee, A. H. Herring,
Joseph Heath. Saloon - Henry Rohrbeck.
ROSTER OF VOTES.
List of men entitled to vote in 1879: George Atkinson, J. W. Bacon, F. A. Hacker H. C. McMillan, Henry Welch,
I. N. Simpson. Charles H. Teift, J. T. Minor, J. H. Deese, J. H. Thompson, William Noel, J. H. Whitman, L. M. Anderson,
N. R. Simpson, I. W. Baker, ____ Van Horn, John Ewing, Ed. Robinson. Henry McGuire, John Steiner, A. F. Loomis,
George Frederick, John Hoffman, William Mallony, \V. R. Collins. Wilson D. Blackwood, John Frahm, William Speas,
Sylvestor Ary, J. H. Gardner, M. T. Adams, John W. Griffin. Nick Roth, James Holland, Wilson Burnside, S. W. Smith,
Daniel W. Matthias, John Gorner, Ed. McMahon, W. D. Bates, J. Bartlett, W. C. Heckendorn, A. M. Smith, J. C. Shutes,
Arthur L. Sanborn, J. Schryver, J. H. Thorpe J. H. Brayton. William J. Myers, J. F. Wells, E. F. Fales, Frank Hobart,
N. T. Fraker, Harry Collins, Charles Newsier, R. A. Chaplin, John Cartwright, A. A. Zaner, F. M. Ellis, Ed. B.
Cousins, Frank H. Burr, J. D. Sleeper, J. F. Ford, E. M. Funk, William Hastings, H. A. Arnold, John Martin, Henry
Atkeson, J. W. Follett, Joseph L. Stotts, Henry Hester, Gideon Williams, H. G. Walters. M. W. Decker, M. D. Bally,
Henry E. Cole, I. L. Dermond, C. C. Ellett, E. C. Honewell, James A. Scott. J. W. Lewis, I. P. Baker, W. Tolbert.
J. O. Andrews, E. C. Meacham, H. H. Willis, J. F. Esty, Harry Loomis, Charles Buck, Michael Boast, J. T. Pryor.
Samuel Hunter, James McVay, Hans Frahm, I. E. Hilsabeck. John Coquille, Elisha Baxter, Neil Ross, John Schlock,
John Holland. Mixe Loy, Ebenezer C. Brown. George Cox, A. C. Gaylord, H. C. Paul, Sylvester K. Landis, ____ Rutherford,
P. Kearney, John C. Wilson, C. M. Maddox, O. W. Andrews, Stephen H. Schryver, Benjamin F. Thacker, ____ Eaton,
Emerson H. Kimball, D. A. Railsback, Charles Knox, George S. Knox, J. C. Williams. J. E. Tucker, Henry Newsier,
John Dunn, M. N. Marble, Charles Mesorve, George W. Ellis, Alex. Fowler. W. P. Clark, Chester W. Wheeler, H. U.
Funk, George N. Funk, Lee Funk, Sammie P. Rhoads, Joseph Gaylord. Henry Eugleking, J. H. Grant, J. W. Louder, P.
McKinley. D. H. Walker, Robert M. Hubbard, Byron S. Phelps. A. F. Rogers, H. W. Van Border, Emiel Bilharz, T. V.
Donovan, Louis Meyer, Benjamin F. Hovald, Conrad Reinhart, D. F. Shocklin, William Coughly, Frank Ewens, James
Chandler, James McCanna, Evan Davis, Thomas C. Lundy, _____ Johnson, Daniel Lynch, C. G. Moore, Hiram M. Talbot,
John Both, J. M. I. Bryan, Alex. H. Roberts, John D. Holmes, G. W. Newcomer, George Keene, James B. Elrod, Lewis
Watson, Robert Cohean. Noah Keller, Del Graves, T. J. Reigart, David Newport, James Warke. Hugh Bell. J. A. Miller,
Ethelbert J. Freeman, John F. Roughly, E. Krollnian, I. A. McKinney. S. W. McManegal, George W. Myers. Frank Gleason,
William H. Scott. A. C. Lewis, Bruce Moore, Elias W. Beghtol, John Burnes. M. Dubois, James T. Bell, S. B. Johnson,
FATHER OF AUDUBON.
While the town was laid out and owned, primarily, by the railroad company, the genius who presided over it,
directed and promoted its rise and progress was Ethelbert J. Freeman. He was born at Flatvood, Pennsylvania, September
22, 1840, and was reared a farmer until sixteen years of age. In 1857 he went to McDonough county, Illinois. where
he worked two years as a carpenter. He returned and remained in Pennsylvania one year, and then went back to Illinois.
On May 24, 1861, he enlisted from Vermont, Illinois, as a private in Company A, Sixteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, and served in the Second Brigade, Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, under Gen. John M. Palmer,
and Generals Pope and Rosecrans. Mr. Freeman participated in the battles of Blue Mills, Island No. 10, Tiptonville,
Farmington and Stone's River. He was discharged for disability, February 5, 1863, returned to McDonough county,
and engaged in farming.
Ethelbert J. Freeman was married in McDonough county on September 23, 1862, to Nancy L., daughter of Daniel L.
and Mary (Hamilton) Leighty. In 1867 he moved to Extra, and the following year settled on and improved a one hundred
and sixty acre farm in section 24, Leroy township. In 1878 he established his home in Audubon. He was justly styled
"father of the town," if any one was ever entitled to such an appellation; and has been so regarded to
the present time. He was first and foremost in most public, social and political affairs; at least one of the most
popular men who ever lived in the county. His influence was extensive and controlling in many ways. He was prominent
in the incorporation of the town, and was its first mayor, without a dissenting vote; and was very efficient in
establishing the schools at Audubon. He was agent for the sale of the railroad lands and the town lots; assisted
in the establishment of lodges; the Grand Army post, the band and drum corps, the fire department, county fair;
and in installing the water works and the electric light plant.
Mr. Freeman was county treasurer in 1882-6. Andrew F. Armstrong and Mr. Freeman were owners of the Citizens Bank
from 1886 to 1893. For many years Mr. Freeman was manager of the waterworks and electric light plant; chief of
the fire department; member of the band and drum corps. He was a member of Veritas Lodge No. 392, Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons; Amity Chapter No. 92, Royal Arch Masons; Godfrey Commandery No. 44, Knights Templar; Allison
Post No. 34, Grand Army of the Republic.
At the National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic, at Minneapolis in 1906, Mr. Freeman was elected president
of the National Association of Civil War Musicians, and was afterward annually reelected until the encampment at
Rochester, New York, 1911, when he was elected to the same office for life. This is an unique society, composed
of veteran drummers, fifers, buglers and bandmen, of the Civil War, from all over the United States; who play the
same old tunes after which the Union soldiers marched from 1861 to 1865. Mr. Freeman has marched with his musicians
at the head of the parade at every National Encampment from Denver, in 1905, until the present time.
THE STUART FAMILY.
Another prominent patron of the town was Capt. Charles Stuart. He was born in West Barnet, Vermont, June 7,
1826. On December 23, 1852, he was married to Lois Gray, of Relegate, Vermont. He was reared a farmer. In 1848
he established a general store at South Ryegate. In 1855 he went to Chicago, where he was employed by Fairbanks
& Company, the famous scale manufacturers. During the same period he opened a farm in Elmira township, Stark
county, Illinois, near Neponset, which he owned until after coming to Audubon county. He was founder of the town
of Stuart, Iowa, where he was a large landowner, and conducted an extensive business. Before the town of Audubon
started he and his son, William G. Stuart, were owners of several thousand acres of the best farm lands in Audubon
county, which they put under a high state of cultivation; stocked it with horses, cattle, hogs, etc., and conducted
farming on an extensive scale. Charles Stuart was captain of Company B, Nineteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer
Infantry. He enlisted on July 3o, 1861; resigned July 15, 1862. He was full of activity, progressive, public spirited,
and generous. His name stood foremost as a business man in Audubon county.
To Ethelbert J. Freeman, Capt. Charles Stuart, the railroad company and the Audubon newspapers was largely due
the credit for the removal of the county seat from Exira to Audubon.
Charles Stuart & Son were among the first and ablest promoters of the town. They were the leading dealers in
grain, lumber, lime and coal, and erected the largest grain elevator in the county, and built one of the finest
brick offices for that kind of business in the state of Iowa. They extended branches of the same kind of business
to Exira, Gray, and other places in Iowa. outside of the county. Mrs. Lois Stuart was the most wealthy person who
has lived in the county, and was the most generous patron of the Presbyterian church, at Audubon. Captain Stuart
and his wife and their son, William G. Stuart, are all buried in the cemetery at Audubon.
The town was incorporated in 1886.
The following named men have served as mayor of Audubon: Ethelbert J. Freeman, J. Mack Love, John D. Holmes, Charles
Bagley, Andrew F. Armstrong, Henry W. Hanna, Ransom L. Harris, John A. Nash, Robert C. Spencer, Halleck J. Mantz.
The first postmaster was Arthur L. Sanborn, appointed February 15, 1879, succeeded by Emerson H. Kimball, Elkanah
S. Foster, Robert M. Carpenter, Ed. B. Cousins, William H. O'Connell, George B. Russell, Harper W. Wilson, Robert
The Northwestern railroad came from Carroll, by way of Manning and Troy, to Audubon, in 1882.
The waterworks was established in 1882. Ethelbert J. Freeman was the superintendent for many years, and was succeeded
by Benton L. Darnold, the present manager. The town is now supplied with water from an artesian well made in 1913-14,
two thousand five hundred feet deep, at the cost of elevent thousand dollars.
The electric light plant was installed in 1891, by Ethelbert J. Freeman, and was transferred to Nancy L. Freeman
in 1897. It was superintended many years by Mr. Freeman; and was transferred to W. G. Wieland, the present owner.
It furnishes electric lights for the towns of Hamlin and Exira.
The business interests in 1888, were as follow: Attorneys - H. F. Andrews, John M. Griggs, H. W. Hanna, Nash, Phelps
& Green, Henry U. Funk, A. F. Armstrong, Charles Bagley, E. H. Hurd, Frank F. Brainard, Theodore F. Myres,
E. E. Byrum. Physicians - John D. Halmer, John F. Cloughly, Charles W. DeMotte, James M. Rendleman, Alfred L. Brooks.
Jewellers - William H. O'Connell, William H. Cowles. Hotels - Walker House, Stuart House, Grant House, Weston House,
Northwestern. Restaurant - William Rosenberg. Banks - Audubon County Bank, Commercial Bank, Citizen's Bank. Drug
stores - Alex. H. Roberts, O. J. Houston, William Cloughly, John F. Cloughly. General stores - Russell & Son,
Benjamin F. Howald, John Van Scoy, R. Lenox. Grocers - John F. Consigney, Frank Gleason, Emiel Bilharz, Fisher
Brothers, Will D. Forbes, T. S. Francis, W. Talbot. Clothing - John H. Kate, Evan Davis, D. C. Abrams. Hardware
- Jones & McKarahan, John Rinemund. Furniture - Scott Brothers, W. H. Miller. Boots and shoes - J. Forbes &
Son. Millinery-Miss Dix, Miss Walker. Photographers - C. C. Harper, T. B. Mendenhall. Opera house - George B. Russell.
Harness makers - David E. Soar, Harper W. Wilson. Shoemakers - John Ott, John Both. Blacksmiths - James Pound,
George Keen, H. B. Wilson, H. A. Jump. Liverymen - Joseph P. Tharnish, Isham Brothers, Charles Benton. Meat Markets
- Prather Brothers, Doak & Company. Marble works - H. W. Van Gordon. Flour mill - Kuhn, Culver & Company.
Machinery and implements-McFarland, Dickey and Company. Clark H. Cross. Grain dealers - Charles Stuart & Son,
George Gray, Wilson Burnside, Henry Gravesmuhl, Herbert & Johnson. Lumber dealers - Charles Stuart & Son,
Green Bay Lumber Company. Brick yard - Charles Tramp.
HOMES IN AUDUBON.
Some of the best residences in Audubon are those of: Belle Arnold, Alex. H. Roberts, Charles Van Gorder, Charly
S. White, Robert C. Spencer, William J. Lavender, Daniel L. Freeman, Charles Bagley, Joseph H. Ross, Alfred L.
Brooks, George A. May, George W. Veighton, Ed. B. Cousins, Arthur Farquhar, Ed. S. Van Gorder, George W. Hoover,
A. C. Harman, John Weighton, Frank O. Niklason, Mary Plaehn, John Ebert, Joseph Kopp, Lois Abby, Ed. F. Bilharz,
A. S. Culver, T. H. Turner, R. G. Wieland, George AV. Preston, Mr. Hermansen, Samuel A. Graham, J. J. Rubs, Levi
Kopp, John Wagner, Frank M. Rice, Ed. F. Johnson, C. L. Christinsen, Lewis C. Bagley, Charles Ping, Anna Fancher,
George Scott, I. P. Hansen, Mike T. Foley, Ed. A. Bates. W. S. Hansen, M. O. Kingsbury, William Lavland, Frank
C. Miller, William G. Wilson, AV. H. Cowles, William Berg, Elmer E. Bailey, Fred A. Buthweg, James E. Griffith,
Charles Reynolds, F. S. Stone, C. H. Wilde, R. F. Childs, Fideler Schmidt. George Weyer, P. A. Rasmussen, Ed. A.
Beason, Sarah Munson, J. J. Haals, Owen Davis. Anthony N. Detwiler, Thomas J. Stafford, Samuel Weaver.
During the current year, 1915, the city is installing a substantial, up to date sewer system, at the cost of about
thirty five thousand dollars.
The school system of Audubon is very satisfactory and up to date. The first school house was a one story, wooden
building, built in 1878, and now owned by John Graham, on Tracy street. Robert Hunter was the first teacher, 1878-9.
He was succeeded by Kate Cameron.
At a special election held at Audubon, at five o'clock in the afternoon of May 31, 1879, with Elisha Baxter, Elias
W. Beghton and M. H. Marble, judges; and Emerson H. Kimball, clerk; it was voted to organize the independent school
district of Audubon, embracing sections 20. 21. 28, 29. south half of section 16, south half of section 17, south
west quarter of section 15, west half of section 22, and west half of section 27; all in township 80, range 35
west; by a vote of one hundred and seventeen to one.
At an election held at Audubon on July 5, 1879, the first board of directors of the independent district was elected,
viz.: E. M. Funk, Thomas C. Lundy, Alex. H. Roberts, Noah Keller, Wilson Burnside and Frank H. Burr. The board
met and organized on July 11, 1879, and selected Ethelbert J. Freeman, secretary, and Elias W. Beghtol, treasurer.
Late in 1879 or early the next year, the district completed a new wooden, two story, four room building, on the
site of the present school house. George N. Funk was the next teacher, assisted by Sarah Dustin. George I. Miller
was superintendent from 1882 to 1884, inclusive, probably. It is supposed that the school was graded under his
superintendency. J. A. Hornberger was superintendent from about 1885 to 1887, inclusive. During his term a brick
addition was erected in the rear of the former wooden structure, and the wooden front of the house veneered with
brick. The first high school class was graduated under him in 1886.
In the fall of 1887, Z. T. Hawk became superintendent, and served four years. There were then eight school rooms
and four hundred and sixteen pupils enrolled. The subordinate teachers were: Ella M. Stearns, Lura Beason, DeEtta
Foster; Oma S. Yaggy, Emma Hawk, Ada Funk, E. H. Hurd, Miss S. E. Turner and Cora Ott.
Frank P. Rocker succeeded Mr. Hawk, in the fall of 1891, and served fourteen years. His assistants were: Miss S.
E. Turner, Ella M. Stearns, Lura Beason, DeEtta Smith, Mrs. E. J. Brown, Vesta Baxter. Cora Ott, Ada Funk, Effie
Rogers, Harriet Bilharz, Jennie F. Riggs, C. K. Lancelot, Miss Green, Miss Norris, Miss Culver, Miss Musson, Mrs.
Rosemond, Miss Shellenberger, Miss Detwiler, Mrs. Buthweg, Mrs. Fish, Miss Lundy, Alta Crow, Miss Morrissey, Miss
Wilson, Belle Lancelot, Eva Luce, Beulah Soar, Helen Dickinson, Mary Davis, Miss Doak, Orpha Baxter, Ella Hurd,
Bertha Ferguson, Lillian Ott, Dora Larson, Elizabeth Carmichel, Frances Burns, Ada Kuhn, Mildred Smith, Vera Miles,
In 1893, a new brick building of two rooms for a primary department was erected. During Mr. Hocker's superintendence
the school became an accredited high school in the state.
In 1903 a new brick building was erected in place of the old veneered part of the former structure. The school
house as then constructed gave very general satisfaction.
Frank J. Mantz succeeded Mr. Rocker in the fall of 1905 and served four years. His assistants were: Ella M. Stearns,
Avis Gordon, Nellie Wicker, Mable Keith, Anna Weaver, Ruby Patton, Elizabeth Harris, Fan Lilly, Nellie Tomkins,
Miss Low, Miss Brown, Marie Wolff, Miss Yokum, Patience Ellett.
Harry P. Smith succeeded Mr. Mantz in the fall of 1909, and served until 1915. His corps of assistants have been:
F. W. Johansen. Caroline Schictl, Isa Lighthall, Theo Vedder, Mable Keith, Mary Davis, Ella Hurd, Patience Ellett,
Ethel Glass, Goodie Cozine, Marie Wolff, Sarah Edes, Maud McAllister, Jennie Cook, Mae McClure, Georgia Lloyd,
Grace Hollway, Coleen Patterson, Helen Turner, C. E. Latterback, Bertha Ross, Carrie Berger, Lillian Stetzler,
Lenore Buckner, Ella McGuire, Lura Preston, June Gray.
The kindergarten was added to the school system in 1909.
The high school was admitted to the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, in 1911. Fred
W. Johansen is the present superintendent (1915) and the school now employs a corps of subordinate teachers. Beginning
with the year 1886, the high school has subsequently, each year, graduated a class of students. The citizens of
Audubon are now agitating the question of erecting a new high school building.
GRADUATES OF THE AUDUBON HIGH SCHOOL.
Class of 1886-Eva Freeman, Nellie Cole, James M. Graham.
Class of 1887-Bonnie Stotts, Mertie Gleason, Lena Rosenberg.
Class of 1888 - Edwin Van Gorder, Edward Bilharz, Lillian Ott, Maggie Gleason.
Class of 1890 - Vesta Baxter, William Oliver.
Class of 1891 - Mary Davis, Mary DeMotte, Fred Gleason, Oscar Overholtzer, Pearl Roberts, Clara Blakeslee, Laura
Class of 1892-Samuel Baggy, Agnes Wolf, Myrtle Wilson, Harriet Bilgarz, Frank Cross, Maggie DeMott, Mollie Delahoyde,
Harry Dickinson, Laura Forbes, Roy Funk, Katie Overholtzer, India Poulson, Ralph Roberts, Myrtle Sharp, Lizzie
Schreiber, Beulah Soar, Hettie Van Scoy.
Class of 1893 - Mamie Baxter, May Bonwell, Gertrude Bonwell, Carrie Cooley, Irene Crocker, Will Cunningham, Sarah
Holmes, Mabel Keith, Albert Mathias, Rosie Mendenhall, Jennie Oliver, Kittie Schrieber, Eva James.
Class of 1894 - Jessie Andrews, Fred Blume, Orpha Baxter, Rena Carroll, Emma Culver, Patience Ellett, Ellis Harper,
Earl Jump, Frank Mantz, Ethel Reese, Charles Bradley, Rose Sharp, Julia Wilson.
Class of 1895-Lena Drury, 011ie Fergusen, Charles Huntsburger, Gus Keith, Eva Luse, Bertha Mussen, Woods Soar.
Class of 1896-Will Baylor, Grace Creveling, Mae Schreiber, Myrtle Stotts, Charles Tramp, Nellie Wicker.
Class of 1897-Nelson Cowles, Dora Detwiler, Maude Doak, Bertha Fergusen, Frank Green, Edith Harris, Lillian Hays,
Louis Roberts, Clara Luse, Loween Van Gorder, Anna Weaver, George Weaver.
Class of 1898-Myrtle Brown, Maurice Carpenter, Walter Haynes, Auda Kelly, Nora Oelke, Bodo Oelke, Harry Sampson,
Class of 1899-Disy Anderson, Charles Burnside, Hugh Delahoyde, Orren Eddy, Frank Drake, Ada Kuhn, Alice Moon, William
McFarlane, Roy Smith.
Class of 1900-Harvey Delahoyde, Don Drake, Wren Graham, Mabel Hays, Nora Hunt, John Lohner, Jessie Luse, Capitola
Mathias, Grace Miller, Susie Musson, Alma Oelke, Lovise Overholtzer, Clarence Shingledecker, Mary Smith, Teressa
Stanton, Edna Webster.
Class of 1901 - Ruth Anderson, May Hoover, May Hunt. Charles Johnson, Viliner Kester, Ethel Kuhn. Earl Maharg,
Russell Mott, George Oelke. Eleanor Ohm, Mildred Smith, Gay Thomas.
No 1902 class because the course was lengthened to four years.
Class of 1903-Ray Dryden, John Horning, Isabelle McFarlane, Elmer McKarahan, Mamie Michaels, Frank Mott, Nettie
Pearson, Matt Rippev, Frank Sampson, Edith Townsend, Harry Watts, Marie Wolff.
Class of 1904 - Grace Cameron, John Cameron, Ruby Currier, Jason Imes, John Krick, Murtle Ross, Cora Sampson, Louis
Class of 1905-Franc Anderson, Anna Artist, Annetta Earhart, Curtis Earhart, Oliver Gardner, William Kile, Veda
Masterson, Clara Oelke, Drusa Ross, Helen Valburn.
Class of 1906 - Lucile Brooks, Clifford Brooks, John Donaldson, Alice Eddy, Ray Green, Martha Hubbell, Marion Jones,
Mae Layland, Mabel McKarahan, Lena Pound, Bessie Rippey, Ruth Watson.
Class of 1907 - Mae Johnson, Charles Watts, Belle Donaldson, Miles Gardner, Charles Nelson, Earl Bile, Frank McFadden,
Louis Bagley, Jessie Hoover, Ethel Eckles, Lula Doak, Minta Eddy, Bonna Sherman, Thressa Gaston, Marie Adams.
Class of 1908 - Inez Gates, Frank Hays, Augista Hecker, Julius Hecker, Fred Jones, Grace Kibby, Bonna Jones, Wren
Lane, Harry Laubender, Hazel Law, Agnes Lutwitze, Theo. Mantz, Fern Parnham, Garcia Swartz, Augusta Tennigkeit,
Faye Titterington, Bessie Watson, Anna Wilson, Bessie Harris.
Class of 1909-Fannie Ditzenberger, Anna Henriksen, Glen Hunter, Glen Johnson, Hazel Kellogg, Clyde Keith, Warren
Leonard, Edith Leighty, Clara Lutwitze, Florence Marriott, Elloween Phelps.
Class of 1910-Clark Arnold, Simon Foley, Hazel Gates, March Jones, James Law, George Lauhender, Edith Phelps, Julia
Preston, Lela Zaner. Class of
1911-Harley Boyer, Eugene Christensen, Alice Gardner, Daniel Hecker, Edward Heuerman, Iola Johnson, Olive Kopp,
Gibson Law, Oliver Lovelace, Ruth Preston, Lula Sheets, Hazel Steere, Hazel Wieldy, Leona Wilson.
Class of 1912 - Frank Bagley, Alma Christensen, Elvin Cole, Lucile Culver, Lillian Foley, Lorraine Graham, Alice
Kraus, Lorena Marriott, Ilea McFadden, Edwin Preston, Blair Rice, Genevieve Roth, Effie Skinner, Eva Smith, Helen
Class of 1913-Emma Boust, Thomas Blake, Tressa Brady, Lorenzo Brooks, Mildred Buck, Ava Buthweg. Helen Conway Veire
Cozine, Ambrose Foley, Marguerite Foley, Mabel Hood, Leonard Reese, John Kerwin, Alice Rester, Clarence Niklason,
Class of 1914 - Escol Baker, Olga Christensen, Edith Culver, Ellen Graham, Carrie Herndon, Florence Hood. Leon
Johnson. Cecil Keith. Esther Keith, Michael Kerwin, Laura Kraul, Marie Kraus, Florence McLeran, Louis McLeran,
Reuben Musson, Eldo Potter. Esther Rasmussen, Pearl Reinemund, Myrtle Roth, Freda Ruhs, William Spilker, Helen
Stearns, Earnest Steere, Glenn Turner, Lucile Wright.
Class of 1915 - Marion Bagley, Eloise Buck, Arthur Cole, Genevieve Foley, Jennie Hollenbeck, Esther Jacobsen, Roy
Jensen, Holger Jensen, Walter Rester, Bessie Miller, Harry Nailor, Ella Petersen, John Rutherford, Vera Rutherford,
Bessie Turner, Rose Leighton, Mabel Weldy.
DIRECTORY FOR 1915.
At the present time Audubon has a population of two thousand and eighty. The following is a business directory
of the city: Mayor - Halleck J. Mantz. Marshal - Benton L. Darnold. Clerk - William J. Laubender. Assessor - A.
L. Weaver. Treasurer - Charles L. Johnson. Justice of the peace - Charles S. White, Daniel L. Thomas. Constables
- L. M. Anderson, Wesley H. Jay. Township clerk - Daniel L. Freeman. Postmaster - Robert C. Spencer. Lawyers -
John M. Griggs, Charles Bagley, James M. Graham, John A. Graham, Joseph H. Ross, Charles S. White, Halleck J. Mantz,
Lewis C. Bagley, Sidney C. Kerberg. Physicians - Alfred L. Brooks, Ratford F. Childs, John M. Fulton, George A.
May, Daniel Franklin, William H. Halloran. Chiropractor - M. O. Kingsbury. Dentists - Carrie Wood, Charles S. McLeran,
John K. Donaldson. Veterinary surgeons - George W. Weighton, Will Ellery, James Hollenbeck.
Clergymen-Rev. Ed. B. Cousins, Rev. Thomas B. Greenlee. Rev. Jackson Giddens, Rev. Clinton F. Smith, Rev. Father
James McDonald, Rev. D. W. Bryant, Rev. J. P. Christensen. Railroad agents - W. W. Smith, Jesse A. Hunniston. Photagraphers
- Thomas Mason, Sorensen Studio. Music store-J. W. Landrum, manager. Cornet band - D. F. Gifford. Music teachers
- D. F. Gifford, Bessie Wilde, Martha Dunn, Mrs. George Green. Public library - Laura V. Delahoyde, librarian.
Milliners - Long & Burr, Mrs. L. E. Kline, Mrs. Ben Carr. Dressmakers - Mary McGuire, Mrs. Hecker, Mary McCarthy,
Mrs. E. E. Weeks, Clara Anderson, Mrs. J. H. Thorp. Dressmaker colleges - Belle B. Smith, Frances Morrissey. Jewelers
- William H. Cowles, J. S. Johnson. Tailors - J. R. Best, C. J. Thomsen. Abstracters - Charles Bagley, Arnold,
Ross & Rasmussen. Insurance agents - Ralph D. Hawks, S. B. Morrissey. Life insurance - Arthur Farquhar, V.
M. Jones. Real estate agents - Frank M. Herndon, E. H. Jacobsen. Popcorn - Alex. Ferguson. Barbers - Bert A. Keith,
William Bailey, Jens J. Haals, E. E. Weeks.
First National Bank - F. S. Watts, cashier. Farmers State Bank - H. M. Bilharz, cashier. Blacksmiths - E. M. Johnson,
Rasmus Rasmussen, B. F. Wilson, P. Fredericksen. Carpenters - Hermansen & Stone, Jens Loss, Walter Fredericksen,
Jacob Mogg, A. H. Dollahide, James Petersen, John Hepp, George Green. Painters and paper hangers - E. E. Bailey,
J. K. Jensen, Ping Brothers Mumfgaard & Kjer, Clem McCuen, D. J. Conklin & Son, Harry Gleason, Nels Paag,
Colonel Fenney. Plumbers - Test Plumbing Company, A. T. Smith. Masons - Robert G. Ping, Kelley & Gaston, Koch
& Lund. Harnessmakers-David E. Soar, A. M. Currier, Martin Larsen. Electric lights - R. G. Weiland. Hotels
- Park Hotel, Arlington Hotel, Farmers' Home, Boston House, L. O. Petersen.
Boarding house - Charles Reynolds. Restaurant and bakery - Turner Brothers. Cafe - "The Booster," Ralph
Garnett. Drug stores - Alex. H. Roberts, Frick Drug Company, F. W. Smith, Griffith & Company. General stores
- Evan Marqusen, Chris Olsen, Wilson & Freeman, Renftle & Reed, James H. Baker. Grocers - Hans Albertsen,
George W. Preston. Hardware - Audubon Hardware Company, Rinemund Hardware Company, Oelke & Company. Ruhs &
Carter. Clothing - Jensen & Weaver, Fred A. Buthweg. Furniture - George W. Hoover, A. C. Harmon. Variety -
L. E. Wray, W. H. Simcox. Meat market - J. F. McCort. Boots and shoes-Matthias & Hansen, Rasmussen & Jensen.
Tobacco - Dennis & Company. Flour mill - Culver & Son. Laundry - Charles H. Stocking. Machinery and implements
- Johnson & Buck. Billiard parlors - Barentsen & Dye, Jensen & Madsen, Vern Snellbaker, Ray Booton.
Garages - Pete Jensen, John Markinsen. Machine shop - Shrader & Marsh. Bridge contractor - Ward & Weighton.
Liveryman - Park Livery. Feed stables - George Brady, Noels Sorensen, Andrew Christensen. Sale stable - F. O. Mikiasen.
Cream station and produce - Charles Wilde, Audubon Produce Company. Standard Oil Company - Olaf Jensen. manager.
Cedar Rapids Oil Company - Ren Phelps. manager. Audubon Canning Company - R. J. Loveland, manager. Stock food -
Martin Mogg, Jr. Live stock dealers - Northup Brothers, O. L. Lane. Green Bay Lumber Company - F. H. Adams, manager.
Dixon Lumber Company, W. J. Laubender, manager. Grain dealer - A. J. Leak, Walter Roth, manager. Opdyke Grain Company
- D. C. Hart, manager. Johnson Grain Company - Charles L. and Alva Johnson. Brick and tile works - L. E. Tramp
& Tramp. Draymen - J. S. Dennis, W. S. Roberts & Son, L. C. Johnson, Ralph Garnett, Mike Ceronek, Roy Prather.