Exira is the oldest town that has survived in the county. It was laid out on lot 16 and the south one fourth
of lot 9, in section 4, Exira township; comprising fifty acres of clean prairie. Its location was all that could
have been desired, being situated on a beautiful elevated bench, half a mile east from the fork of David's creek,
with the Nishua Botha river, with groves up to the very borders of the town. It was surveyed and platted by Peoria
I. Whitted, under direction of David Edgerton and Judge Daniel M. Harris, on the land of Mr. Edgerton, who owned
a large tract of the adjoining premises. Judge Harris is entitled to credit for founding the town and was owner
of the unrecorded, undivided half of the enterprise. It was first intended that its name should be Viola, after
a daughter of Mr. Edgerton, but Judge John Eckman, from Ohio, a kinsman of the Cranes, being here at the time,
proposed to buy a lot if the proprietors would name the town after his daughter, Miss Exira Eckman, which was accordingly
done. The name is of Spanish origin. One cause for the foundation of the town was that the Dodge route for the
railroad was surveyed through the town site. It proved an ignis fatuous, which lured many people, first and last,
to settle in the vicinity, and the influence continued down to the time of building the railroad, 1878.
The town had an auspicious opening by a sale of its lots at public auction. Mr. Harris cried the sale, and the
proceeds for the first day aggregated one thousand nine hundred and fifty dollars. It was easily the leading town
in the county from its start, and held its prestige against all corners until the town of Audubon succeeded to
the honor in 1879. Mr. Edgerton reserved all of block 4 for his homestead, and Judge Harris reserved block 8 for
a like purpose for himself and erected thereon his dwelling house, the first in town. This was quickly succeeded
by the erection of dwellings the same year by John R. Thacker, Franklin Hobbs, A. B. Houston and David Edgerton.
During the succeeding year a commodious school house was erected (see sketch of Hon. Daniel M. Harris). A hotel
was huilt by Palmer Rodgers, and other residences were erected by Charles Chapin, Zel Edgerton, Asa Haskins, William
Nelson and Urbane Herrick. A workshop was also built by Mr. Harris, but was soon converted into an office.
In 1859 other residences were erected by Harriet McGinnis, William Pangburn, William Bush, Doctor Ham, and perhaps
others. Deacon Lyman Bush came here in 1857 and purchased the residence built by his son in law, Franklin Hobbs.
He was the shoemaker. Daniel Crane and his sons, David L. Anderson, Bryant Milliman and Levi B. Montgomery lived
near the town. Crane and Anderson were blacksmiths. Palmer Rodgers came in 186 and built the hotel the following
year, on the south side of block 2, which he sold to Franklin Burnham and moved away. Burnham sold to Stillman
H. Perry and moved away; Perry kept the hotel until about 1872, and was succeeded by Mrs. Mattie I. Luccock until
1874. About 1875, it was occupied by William P. Hamlin. The old house and barn were torn down as early as 1879.
David L. Anderson was the first postmaster of Exira, before the town was laid out. The subsequent postmasters
have been: Daniel M. Harris, Franklin Burnham, Carlos E. Frost, John D. Bush, Benjamin F. Thacker, Caleb Bundy,
George Hardenbrook, W. A. Mills, William Milliman, David Workman, Hugh W. Copeland, John B. Connrardy, Ernest D.
Powell and B. F. Kreamer.
EARLY PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS MEN.
Judge Harris was the first lawyer in the county, as well as in Exira, and was county judge from 186 to 1861,
inclusive. See sketch and mention of him in other parts of this work.
Peoria I. Whitted settled at Exira when the town was started, and lived there the remainder of his life. He was
county surveyor many years; surveyed several of the towns and additions thereto; also, many of the county roads;
retraced the lines of the original surveys and subdivided large areas of the lands in the county and in adjoining
counties. No surveyor of Audubon county ever did more of such kind of work.
Darius Barlow kept merchandise for sale in his dwelling house (the old Pangburn house), on the northwest corner
of block 11. He was a boisterous character, but a stout Union man, who refused to sell ammunition to Southern sympathizers
in war times.
Carlos E. Frost was county treasurer and lived in Exira in 1864-3. William P. Hamlin came to Exira in 1860 and
bought the residence of Judge Harris. (See personal sketch of him elsewhere in this work).
About 1864 A. B. Houston brought a good line of merchandise and kept store in a shanty on the site of the Millie
Hash residence in block 12, and continued the business with some changes until 1870, his son, Henry, and John R.
Thacker being associated in the business part of the time. During the period from 1866 to 1869, inclusive, Mr.
Houston was county treasurer; county judge during 1862-3; deputy clerk of court, 1865. From 1856 to about 1866
he was associated with Nathaniel Hamlin a portion of the time in the real estate agency. He did the largest business
in the county from 1865 to 1870, and was agent for a large amount of lands, including the business of the American
Emigrant Company, who had many sheep let out in Audubon, Cass and Shelby counties. He had by far the best business
opportunities of any man in Exira up to his time, but was not equal to the demand, and let it slip through his
fingers. He lost heavily by extending credit in his business. In 187o he built the Houston house, on the site of
the present Park hotel, conducted it for several years, and sold out. It burned down and on the same spot a new
hotel was erected, which is now standing. Several men engaged in the blacksmith business in a small way for a dozen
years. In 1869, Abram Campbell came here from Wisconsin and started a good blacksmith shop; and in connection with
it, a wagon and repair shop, conducted for several years by John Cannon and Luke Knapp. Campbell was succeeded,
about 1879, by John Hicks. Many others have since engaged in the business.
In 1865 John D. Bush, who was a Massachusetts Yankee, kept goods for sale in a rented house used as a residence.
In 1866 he put up a good sized store building, with residence attached, on the northeast corner of block 6, where
he kept the best and largest assorted stock of merchandise in the county up to that time. His boots and shoes and
codfish were unexcelled, and he was postmaster. He hauled his goods mostly from Des Moines by teams, and Charley
Van Gorder was his clerk and was the drawing card in the concern. He sold out in 1873-4 to Harris Brothers, and
they sold, in 1875, to Stotts & Houston, who moved to West Exira in 1879. The old store burned down in 1899,
and the present building was erected by James F. McAninch.
About 1858 a one story building, about sixteen feet square, was built by Judge Harris for a shop, on block 8, and
used by him for an office a short time. It was sold to the county and moved to the east side of the public square,
where it was used for the county offices, and where the county records were kept until 1874. The county then owned
no other building, and the courts were held in the school house.
On September 1, 1873, A. B. Hanston. John A. Hallock, A. Campbell, Charley Van Corder, John D. Bush and P. I. Wbitted
executed a bond to Audubon county in the sum of five thousand dollars binding themselves to furnish a building
for courts and county offices free, so long as the county seat should remain at Exira. Early the next year the
Exira Hall Company was incorporated. and sold its stock sufficient to erect a building to be used for court house
and county offices, which was built on the southwest corner of block 1, at the cost of over two thousand two hundred
dollars. The same building is now owned and occupied by the Knights of Pythias lodge. It was occupied by the county
until the county seat was removed to Audubon in 1879.
PROPOSED COURT HOUSE.
On September 1, 1871, the board of supervision appropriated six thousand nine hundred and forty eight dollars
for the erection of a court house at Exira, and a tax of four mills was levied for that purpose. Plans were gotten
out and brick were bought from Van Corder and heaped up in big piles on the public square preparatory for erecting
the building. Then a court house fight began. The supervisors were enjoined from building the house, and on January
18, 1873, the case was settled, the injunction acquiesced in, and the court house tax refunded, all of which involved
several law suits, and which ended the building of a court house at Exira.
H. F. Andrews. in 1873, built the first brick building erected in Audubon county. It was built for an office
and was eighteen by forty feet in size, and was located on block 6.
In 1876 the trees were planted in the public park, being donated by Alfred E. Bartlett and Thomas Walker. The plan
was laid out by H. F. Andrews and Samuel D. Harn.
John A. Hallock was admitted to the bar in 1863, but never practiced. In 1868 John W. Scott, a lawyer, came here
from Bloomfield. Iowa, and, in connection with the office of clerk of the district court, to which he was elected
in 1868, practiced his profession. In 1871-2 he was in charge of the Hamlin Town Company, and put up a vigorous
fight to change the county seat to Hamlin, but met with signal defeat. In 1869 Daniel W. Scribner and John M. Griggs
were admitted to the bar in Exira and formed a partnership with H. F. Andrews in the law and real estate business.
Scribner withdrew from the firm the same year. In 1870 H. F. Andrews was admitted to the bar and a law partnership
formed by Andrews & Griggs, which continued until October, 1873; during which period they established a lucrative
business and had an extensive acquaintance.
In 1872, J. M. Rendleman, M. D., came here from Atlanta, Ga., and at once established an extensive practice. He
still resides here, but lived several years in Audubon. Charles H. Andrews, M. D., a popular physician, settled
here in 1875. He died in 1896, regretted by a wide acquaintance. John Riley, M. D., came in 1880, and John C. Newlon,
M. D., in 1893. Both live here at present, in regular practice. Charles Van Gorder, Esq., is deserving of more
than passing notice. (See sketch of him elsewhere in this work and in the chapter on political parties.) He came
here by way of Missouri, in red hot abolition times, during the Kansas-Nebraska troubles. He was an utter stranger
and some speculation was indulged as to his business in coming here. "Uncle Natty" Hamlin was suspicious
and did not fancy him, and volunteered the opinion: "I can tell what he is; he is a ganned nigger stealer,
sir!" But Charley was clear of any such imputation. He found employment with "Billy" Nelson in the
brick yard at Exira.
AN UNAPPRECIATED JOKE
Perk Smith tells of a good incident which happened at that time. Nelson was burning a brick kiln, and some of
the boys met there one evening, John R. Thacker among them. It was suggested that the fires in the kiln offered
a fine opportunity to roast chickens. Thacker was in for it, and suggested that Deacon Bush had some chickens which
would be just the thing. He proposed that some of the boys should procure the chickens and that he and Van Gorder
would prepare the mud for roasting them. The process consists in covering the chicken, feathers and all, with a
casing of soft clay, and placing the mass in a hot fire until cooked. It is then removed from the fire, the crust
of clay, feathers and skin removed, leaving a toothsome morsel, which can hardly be excelled by any other style
of the culinary art. The boys returned with a sackful of chickens, which were cooked a la proper, and the feast
was enjoyed. Thacker was merry over it, and wondered what the deacon would say in the morning upon missing his
chickens. But the event never happened. When Thacker went to his own chicken house it was empty! He considered
himself the victim of a dirty, unpardonable trick, and treated his late companions with unmitigated scorn and contempt.
He failed to see the beauty of the joke.
In 1862 Van Gorder enlisted in the Thirty ninth Iowa Infantry as a private, and served in the Western Army. He
participated in the battle of Altoona Pass, under the gallant General Corse, where he was wounded. He filled all
offices up to captain in his company, was discharged at the close of the war, and returned to Exira in 1865. In
1866 he made a freighting trip to Denver with ox teams and returned. A fterwards he was a hrickmaker in Exira on
his own account. During 1867 to 1869, inclusive, he was clerk in the store of John D. Bush, at Exira.
After serving four years as county treasurer, 1870-3, he organized the Audubon County Bank at Exira, the first
banking house in the county, and has continued in the business to the present time.
Exira was incorporated on December 13, 1880. These have been mayors of the town: John R. Ridge, 1881; David
L. Anderson, 1881; Erwin Watson, 1881; Richard W. Griggs, 1882; John B. Connrardy, 1883-4; A. B. Houston, 1885;
Joseph E. Toft, 1886-9; Charles T. Wilcutt, 1890-1; James P. Lair 1892; Isaac L. Statzell, 1893-4; Van B. Hellyer,
1895; Charles T. Breniman, 1896-8; C. A. Marlin, 1900-1; George F. Kapp, 1902-3; Leroy J. Oldaker, 1903; H. F.
Andrews, 1904-5; Charles E. Nichols, 1905; John O. Howard, 1906-7; Nels Hansen, 1908-9; John H. Rendleman, 1910-22;
T. M. Rassmussen, 1912-15.
Houston's addition was laid out by A. B. Houston on September 2, 1878, on lot 15, section 4, Exira township.
West Exira was laid out by H. F. Andrews, William F. Stotts, Henry B. Houston, John M. Griggs and L. C. Van Hook,
on March 29, 1879, and is situated on lots 5, 6, 11 and 12, in section 4, Exira township.
Exira Heights was laid out by U. S. Herrick, James F. McAnnich and Edwin Delahoyde, on March 13, 1894, on lot 12,
section 3, and lot 9, section 4, Exira township.
Gates' addition was laid out by J. E. and J. G. Gates on July 9, 1894, on lot 13, section 3, Exira township.
On May 11, 1887, a big fire destroyed the buildings on the south side of block 3, Exira, the main business street,
which was rebuilt with remarkable rapidity and replaced by brick business houses.
The schools of Exira, from the beginning, have been justly celebrated for excellence. Their early equipments,
while not equal to present conditions, were up to the standard of neighboring pioneer facilities. The first school
house, twenty four by thirty feet in size, was built in 1858. The seats, of different lengths, were clumsy furniture,
made of stout, dressed walnut plank, with open rail backs of the same material. The desks, of the same material,
were huge, four posted boxes, with hinged tops, and were not fastened to the floor. The manufacturers were supposed
to have been Judges Harris and Houston, and, like the fellows dancing, if not pretty, they were strong. The house
was remodeled and has been used as a dwelling for many years, on its original site.
In 1871 four thousand dollars had been appropriated for a brick school house at Exira. But, by some kind of shuffling
on the part of the school officers, the first warning that Exira people had, a contract was let to John Cannon
for the erection of a frame school house at the cost of two thousand three hundred dollars. It was clear that Exira
had been tricked out of their brick school house. A two story. two room pine box was erected on the present school
house premises. It was not a thing of beauty, nor a joy.
In 1884 the school house was enlarged by the erection of an imposing two story edifice of six rooms, adjoining
and in front of the former building, at the cost of three thousand five hundred dollars. It was fairly suitable
for the town schools until recent years. It was torn down and removed in 1915, after the erection of the present
hew school house.
During the year 1914-15, additional ground was procured, and a new brick school house, fifty nine by ninety nine
feet, two stories and basement, was erected and equipped, at a cost of thirty eight thousand dollars. It is modern
in every detail; equipped with steam heating system; thermostatic ventilation, waterworks. and fire hose, fire
escapes, fire alarm and electric lights, telephone, sanitary drinking fountains, bath rooms, closets and wardrobes.
It contains boiler room, with coal and ash bins; engine room; a gymnasium in the basement, thirty two by sixty
feet, eighteen feet high; domestic science room, with dining room and pantry attached; manual training room; assembly
room; seven grade class rooms and three recitation rooms; superintendent's office, library, laboratory, rest rooms
and lunch rooms. The school grounds are ample, with agricultural building in the rear. Also there is a septic tank
in the rear for receiving the sewer drainage from the building. School experts pronounce it the best appointed
and equipped school house of its size in the state at this time.
The corps of instructors consist of a superintendent and nine subordinate teachers. The payroll for the present
year is $6,500. In addition to being a fully accredited high school, it has been designated a teacher's training
school by the state superintendent of public instruction, and, as such, receives state aid of seven hundred and
fifty dollars a year. Nonresident pupils are in attendance annually. The number of such pupils for 1914-15 was
thirty seven. The total number of pupils enrolled for the current year is two hundred and sixty five.
The independent district of Exira embraces the west half of section 2, all of section 3, all of section 4, except
the south half of the southwest quarter, and the west half of the northwest quarter of section to, all in Exira
About 1879-80, Professor Wildcat, who was then principal of the school, prepared a plan for grading the school
and a course of study applicable to the work. The school board, then consisting of George Hardenbrook, William
J. Harris, Dr. James M. Rendleman, Hon. John A. Hallock and H. F. Andrews, made the proper order establishing the
various grades for the school, also the course of study, in harmony with the recommendation of Professor Wilcutt.
The teachers employed from the first have been usually of good ability and their efficiency advanced in harmony
with the public demand. Those who have been in charge of the school have been: Louis Harvout, Edwin S. Hill, Mary
Crane, David B. Beers, George S. Montgomery, Benjamin F. Thomas, John A. Hillock, Beulah Sylvester, Samuel E. Smith,
Daniel W. Scribner, John M. Griggs. Charles H. Andrews. Charles D. Gray, George Lindsey, A. E. Clarendon, Harmon
G. Smith, George I. Miller, ___ Curtis, Charles F. Wilcutt, Carl Ross, David P. Repass, Elva Thompson, W. H. Fort,
William H. Brinkerhoff, John M. Crocker Louie Sorensen, Charles W. Johnson, John L. Conger, P. M. Hersom, Fred
A. Sims, B. J. Gallagher, Helen Carson, J. L. Harper, William H. Hoyman.
It is impossible at this time to even name the subordinate teachers. Among them were Mrs. Beulah Slyvster and Mrs.
Margaret J. Roseman, who should be remembered with affection and gratitude for their untiring efforts to assist
the boys and girls who attended under their instruction.
THE HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI.
For most years beginning with 1889, the high school has graduated a class, to whom regular diplomas have been
issued. The following is a list of graduates to the present time:
1889. Jessie M. Shaw.
1891. Thomas Dustin, Frank Shranger, Fred Gates, Verna Croy, Rosa Powell.
1892. Walter Marietta, Roxie Huyck, Charlie Gates, Louie Welch.
1893. Ross Hardenbrook, Anna Carpenter, Gertie Gates, Trola Born, Beth Henry.
1894. Anna Hanson, Margaret McNally, B. F. Creamer, Will Anders, Edna McAffee, Charles Kommes.
1895. Nettie Bruner, Cecelia Peterman, Edith Davis, Stella Masterson, Florence Rathburn, Florence Hill, Chalmer
1896. Hattie Huyck, Ola Williams. William Deweese.
1897. Albert Guidinger, Samuel Hicks, Connaught D. Hunter, Frank Guidinger, Peace Hayes, Cittie Jobes, Charles
Fulton, Randall Hunter, Grove Rathburn.
1898. Harriet Jenkins, Jennie Bennett, Ella McNally, Lee McAninch, Will Wissler.
1899. Ethel Riley, Ethel Hicks, Rose Faust, Lucille Connrardy, Myrtle Hellyer.
1900. Maude Campbell, Amy Conger, Eva Tulbert, Berta Gano, Susie Huyck, Lester Peterman.
1902. Martha Bruner, Lillian B. Dyer, Cathryn Connrartly, Florence E. McAnnich, Gretchen Delahovde, Zilpha M. Gault,
1903. Elizabeth Jones, Grace West.
1904. Kathleen Delahoyde, Charles E. Herrick, Harold Sturgeon.
1905. Mertie Bruner, Gertie Bruner, Bessie Ide, Grace Hensley, Bertha Young, Lucile Herrick.
1907. Grace Huyck, Elsie Hunt.
1908. Delia Hicks, Mabel Hall, Ruth Statzell.
1909. William A. Nelson, Charles I. Idea, Pluma Freeman.
1910. Carrie Gault, Mary Powell.
1911. Dena Hensley, Muriel Koob, Ora Hicks, Ellowene Dimick, Ethel Bisom, Winnie Heath, Florabelle Houton, Frank
1913. Flora Rendleman, Geraldine Randleman, Dena Nelson Vivian Heath.
1914. Mary Lamsen, Kathleen Hunt Alice Hay, Kathryn Thielen, Harvey Jensen, Norman Hensley.
1915. Mabel Ide, Leila Kline, Goldie Chase, Agnes Nelsen, Madealine Essington, Mrytle Grinder, Genevieve Wright,
Marie Freeman, Frank Dimick, Henry K. Petersen. Theodore Nelsen.
Some of the prominent people who have lived in Extra, not otherwise mentioned in this work, have been: Jacob
Andrews, Nathan W. Andrews, Will E. Andrews, Albert C. Andrews, Free Anders, L. E. Born, Henry T. Bush, W. H. Bowman.
Jo. Chase, George Chase, A. L. Campbell, William Carpenter, Enoch Croy, John Crane, Samuel Crane, John G. Gates,
Stephen Gano, Henry B. Houston. John Hicks, Urbane Herrick, Julius M. Hubbard, Charles O. Hunt, George HuntĄ Hans
P. Hansen, Nathaniel D. Hamlin, Charles C. Hawk, Samuel D. Ham, J. D. Herrick, Perry Hansen, Nels Hansen, Charles
Houston, A. W. Harvey, V. B. Hellyer, W. E. Brinkerhoff, N. P. Christensen, George W. Guernsey, Frank Gault, Richard
Gault, John Gray, Xerxes Knox, Peter Kommes, Charles Kommes, William Kommes, Luke Knapp, Noel Jobes. W. J. Lancelot,
John Mertes, Daniel W. Miller, James F. McAnninch. Bryant Milliman Charles Milliman, John Noon. George Paige, Ernest
D. Powell, Theodore Patty John Peterson, James B. Rendleman, William C. Sturgeon, Isaac Statzell, Samuel Smith,
Hendrick R. Smith, Thomas Walker, William Walker, Otto Witthauer, Fred Wahlert, George Wahlert, William F. Stotts.
Jo. Gearheart, Andrew J. Leffingwell, Nick Thielen. Francis J. Shranger, John S. Toft, James Holliday, James Willox,
John Nelsen, Erwin Watson, Lester Gransberry. Perry Bateman, George W. Bailey, W. R. Bruner, Joseph H. Bell. W.
R. Copeland, Hiram H. Dimick, William H. Seavey, Peter Tharnish.
Some of the best residences in Exira arc those of Eugene C. Wilson, Ed. Cotton, James Channon, Mrs. Alice Connrardy,
William H. Voss, Ernest B. Voss, Fred H. Cotton, Dr. Leroy J. Oldaker, John I. Hensley, John M. Dimmick, Edwin
Delahoyde, William Bintner, Henry and Lena Bush, John H. Randleman, Otto Witthauer, Hans P. Petersen, Dr. John
Riley, Lars P. Christensen, William E. Varney, Chris. Jacobsen, Dr. J. C. Newlon, Perry Hansen, P. M. Christensen.
Mrs. Lissa Gault. Mrs. Charles Klever, Mrs. Jens Jepson, Nels Hansen, George Milliman, Frances L. Voss.
OFFICIAL AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1915.
Population, eight hundred and thirty seven.
Mayor, T. M. Rasmussen; town clerk, George C. Coral; marshal, Roy McLain; assessor, Robert C. Patterson; justice
of the peace, James P. Lair; constable, John C. Coe; postmaster, Frank A. Kreamer; mail carriers, Frank Basham,
Ad Seibert, James Hicks, Harry Hockenherry, Andrew C. Jensen; principal of school, William H. Hovman.
Attorneys - H. F. Andrews, T. M. Rasmussen.
Clergymen - Catholic, Rev. Father John Mayer; Congregational, Rev. Jessie Getty; Methodist, Rev. Henry P. Grinyer;
Christian, Rev. Charles S. Linkletter; Lutheran, Rev. Peter Rasmussen.
Physicians - J. M. Rendleman, John Riley, John C. Newton, Robert A. Jacobsen; dentist-Leroy J. Oldaker; railroad
agent-W. O. Griffith; Iowa Telephone - Ola Willis; electrician-Louie Petersen; veterinary surgeon - Roy A. Lantz,
Banks - Exchange Bank, Edwin Delahoyde, cashier; First National Bank, James M. Carlson, cashier; land agents-John
H. Rendleman, J. B. J. Lohner, Lawrence Hansen, Lee McAnninch; insurance agents -Theodore Patty, A. W. Harvey;
life insurance - Albert C. Andrews; druggists - Nels Hansen, Exira Drug Co.; general stores - Ed Cotton, Hans P.Petersen,
Erke Brothers, A. L. Hamon; grocer - Fred H. Cotton; hardware - John Nelson, William E. Varney; variety store -
Peter R. Jorgensen; meat market-Peter Hassenfeldt; grain elevator-Herman Barnholdt; creamery - Exira Creamery Company,
Chris Petersen; produce - Exira Produce Company, George W. McNary; agricultural implements - Kommes Brothers; harness
makers - Jack W. Alsup, Hans Miller; livestock dealers - Hensley & Dimick; Livestock and grain - Exira Co-Operative
Co., W. F. Williams; oil - Standard Oil Company, Mike Harned; hotel - Park Hotel, Mrs. D. V. Wright; boarding houses
- Mrs. Stella Gearhart, Noel Jobes; restaurant - Mrs. Susan Spoo; cafe - Wagner Brothers; jeweller - Peter M. Christensen;
lumber - Green Bay Lumber Company, Merle R. Terhune, manager; Fullerton Lumber Company, H. P. Hansen, manager;
liveryman - Daniel Branstater; garage - Hans P. Hansen, Wesley Donaldson, Johnson & Westphalen; auto repair
shop - Nelson & Phillips; machinists-Exira Auto and Machine Works, P. K. Jensen; blacksmiths - Andrew A. Andersen,
Nels L. Beck; lightning rods - John Miller; contractor and builder, and planing mill - George C. Voss; Palace Theater,
Joe Meurer; undertaker - George L. Gore; billiard hall - Hunt Brothers; dressmakers - Amber Kelsey, Mrs. Cannon;
pantitoriam - Earl Thomas; shoemakers - David Workman, Gerald Hensley, Hans Miller; coal dealers - George B. Gill,
Mrs. Keziah Pesing, Peter Goode; masons - Joseph Gearlieart, Jack Hinckle, George Leffingwell, Frank Leffingwell;
carpenters - Robert C. Watterson, Ad Watterson, Grant Jones, William H. Voss, Charles C. Johnson, William Fulton,
Thomas Murphy, Willis Hinkle, J. W. Kline; painters and paper hangers - Kirk Knox, William O. Scott, Frank Schmidt,
A. M. Larsen, Walter Larsen, M. W. Nelsen, Robert L. Houston; barbers - Hugh Smith, Bishop & Statzell; popcorn
- Roy Bolton; bus drivers - George Milliman, Joseph Shaw; draymen - Frank B. Heath, George Chase, L. H. Watson;
house movers - Joe Chase, George Chase; Commercial Club, L. J. Oldaker, secretary; Exira Lady Boosters, Maude Oldaker,
secretary; Thursday Club, Mrs. Dolly Newton, president; Treble Clef, Mrs. Hattie Witthauer, president; Dressmaking
College, Mrs. Alice Connrardy; tailor, A. Wolcott.