History of Ross, Audubon County, IA
From: History of Audubon County, Iowa
Its People, Industries and Instutions
H. F. Andrews, Editor
B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis - 1915


The town of Ross was laid out in section 4, Leroy township, and was platted on July 28, 1882. A postoffice was established there in 1883. The former postmasters were L. D. Thomas and John Wagner. The railroad depot was built in 1885, and the first merchants were Fox & Johnson. J. F. Luse had a store there in 1889. Charles Stuart & Son and George Gray were formerly engaged there in the grain and coal trade. Other residents have been Mr. Zebol, Jesse Neitzel, Mr. Keonick, John Petersen, John Wagner, John McKee, John Ehlit, Nels Olsen and George McEwing.

The business directory of the town in 1915 is as follows: Postmistress, Lena Mack; railroad agent, Inman Sherman; store, Max Fhlert; blacksmith, William Smith; lumber dealer, Fred Jones; grain elevators, Jesse Ferguson and Bert McNutt; implements, machinery and harness, William Bauers; drayman, John Bonnett. There are Methodist and Lutheran churches.

Return to [ Audubon County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Iowa Biographies ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy