We are indebted to Mrs. S. T. Barnes, of Maynard, for the following sketch of Harlan township history:
The township of Harlan was organized in 1859: until then it was a part of the precinct comprising the now townships
of Westfield, Center, Banks, Fremont, Harlan, Smithfield, Scott, Jefferson and Oran. The voting place was Lima.
In 1855 Westfield was organized, and from that time up to the second Tuesday in October, 1859, the residents of
this township voted at Fayette, in Westfield township. On that day the first election was held at the house of
T. J. Dewey. The polls were opened at nine o'clock A. M. and closed at six P. M. The following officers were elected:
Trustees, T. J. Dewey, William Taylor and W. B. Aylesworth; township clerk. F. M. Aylesworth; justices of the peace,
J. B. Kingsbury and C. M. Shanklin; assessor, Brown Stewart. The first school record is of a meeting called for
March 11, 1861, by William Taylor, president of the school board. The first teacher was Helen Norton, now Mrs.
Jasper Dewey; the school was in a log house that was built in 1859, by Mills, and owned by T. J. Dewey, at that
time in district No. 2, and commenced May 14, 1860. The salary was eleven dollars per month, without board. The
first school house was erected in the fall of 1861. It was built of logs near the northeast corner of the original
town plat of Maynard and the first teacher was Miss Amanda Stevenson. The first frame school house was erected
in the summer of 1862, by William G. Barnes, and the first teacher of this school was Miss Hessie Crawford, now
Mrs. Milton Taylor. In the fall of 1855 C. M. Shanklin built a log house, and in the spring of 1859 moved his family
from Illinois. This house stood near the two oak trees on the corner of the land now owned by Frank Burdick, across
the street from the old creamery. The first white child born in this township was born to Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Shy,
in the year 1852, in a cabin on the site now occupied by the house owned by William Malvern. The first person buried
in Long Grove Cemetery was Minerva Dewey, who died in November. 1863. At the time of organizing the township of
Harlan there was a population of about sixty, and seventeen voters.
The first actual settlers in what is now Harlan township were the Shy, Mills and Myers families, who located on
section 11 and commenced making improvements. Two of them soon sold their claims to H. Barnes, Sr., who raised
a crop of wheat in 1853. T. J. Dewey purchased another of these claims and settled near Mr. Barnes. But Henry Maynard
is entitled to the credit of making the first land entry in this township. He came from Illinois in 1851 and entered
the southwest quarter of section 14, but returned to Illinois and did not take up his residence here until 1861.
Andrew Walsh was another early pioneer, in addition to the names given elsewhere.
There are eight sub-districts in the district township of Harlan, besides the independent district of Maynard.
In the eight sub-districts there were nine female teachers employed during the last year, at an average salary
of thirty seven dollars and forty six cents per month. Duration of the schools during the year was eight months.
The school enumeration shows one hundred ninety eight persons between five and twenty one years of age in the district
township, of whom one hundred forty six were enrolled in the schools. The disparity between the number entitled
to school advantages and the number enrolled is due, in most instances, to the absence of the older pupils in attendance
at higher schools. This is true of all the rural districts in the county, and should not be construed as evidence
that many pupils are not attending school. The average cost of tuition in Harlan township was three dollars and
thirty seven cents for each student attending. The school apparatus used in the eight schools is valued at one
hundred ninety five dollars, and there are four hundred seventy two volumes in the school libraries of the township.
The school houses are valued at three thousand nine hundred fifty dollars.
THE INCORPORATED TOWN OF MAYNARD.
This is the only village in the township. It is located on parts of four sections at the center of the township,
east and west, and about two miles west of the east line. Portions of the town are now laid out on sections 14,
15, 22 and 23. C. M. Shanklin purchased a part of the land upon which the town was located, and built a house on
it in 1864. But the town was not laid out until the construction of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Minnesota
railroad was assured in the early seventies. Maynard was laid out in 1872-3 by J. J. Berkey, of West Union. The
plat was recorded October 16, 1873, and the village was named in honor of Henry Maynard, at the suggestion of the
president of the railroad company. The first residence on the town plat was erected and occupied by Joseph Hadden,
but the first building was a grain warehouse.
The disappearance of Daniel Schuck, in October, 1877, was the first real sensation in the quiet little town. Schuck
was a bachelor living alone, but during the season of 1877 he had a hired man named Christ Kraft, who lived with
him. Schuck was last seen on the t7th of September and on the 19th Kraft began hauling grain to Maynard and sold
it. He alleged that Schuck had sold him the farm, but had misrepresented financial conditions, stating that there
was a five hundred dollar mortgage on the farm. then there was one thousand dollars against it. Kraft soon rented
the place to another man and disappeared from the community. A legal proceeding was instituted, but no cause of
action was developed, and neither party to the tragedy has ever been seen in the vicinity. The claim of Kraft that
he had purchased the farm was not sustained in law, and an administrator settled the estate of Daniel Shuck, his
continued absence being, in law, prima facie evidence of his death.
For a history of the Methodist Episcopal and Presbyterian churches in this township, the reader is referred
to the special articles on those subjects. The same is true of the Catholic and Lutheran communicants, who are
numerous throughout the township.
There are two country churches still holding organizations near the north line of the township, but over in
Center township. One of these is a Methodist organization, while the other is owned and sustained by the United
Brethren. The latter is the location of an annual camp meeting usually held in the groves adjacent, and this has
been the scene of many enthusiastic revivals, as well as of a summer outing for people of all religious faith,
many attending from distant points in the county or elsewhere. This is known as the "Grub" church, because
of its location in and near scrubby timber. It was organized in March, 1878, under the ministrations of Rev. R.
D. McCormick, a pioneer minister in the United Brethren church and who is still living in the county. It was organized
with fourteen members, some of whom lived in the town of Maynard, about three miles south of the church. Since
the division of the church on disciplinary grounds, as mentioned elsewhere, this organization has allied itself
with the "Liberals." Previous to the building of the church edifice, services were held in the school
houses until the formation of a class was assured.
The village of Maynard was incorporated in June, 1887, and since that date it has developed into a good trading
point, being always an excellent stock and grain market. The residence portion of the town is extremely handsome.
being situated in beautiful natural groves. The site of the town is on level ground, which is a characteristic
of the township throughout. There are about three sections of timber land from Maynard north to the township line,
these sections being 3, 10 and 15, with a little scattering timber adjacent. The south branch of the Volga river
flows north through the town of Maynard, through this timbered belt, and enters the main stream near Fayette, in
The Long Grove Dairymen's Association was incorporated at Maynard. in December, 1875, with Henry Maynard, president.
Judson A. Stevens, vice president, E. B. Snecligar, secretary and treasurer. The association erected a commodious
building of two stories and basement eighteen by thirty feet, at a cost of one thousand six hundred dollars. This
was the first creamery established in the community, and a. thriving business was transacted. The first officers
are all dead or removed from the county, and though there is still a prosperous creamery business conducted at
Maynard, it is operated by private enterprise. There is also a feed mill, and other public enterprises in the town,
besides several good stores, mechanical shops, machinery supplies, etc. The only hotel in the place was burned
recently, and a larger and better one is now under construction. The Maynard Savings Bank is the monetary institution
of the town. The officers are, W. B. Beatty, president, A. H. Meihe, vice president, and E. F. Varnke, cashier.
The Maynard school district, coincident with the boundaries of the corporation, has a new and modern school
house with four rooms, employing one male teacher and four females, the former at a salary of seventy five dollars
per month and the latter at an average salary of forty one dollars and sixty six cents. Nine months' school is
provided for during the year. Of one hundred fifty one persons between five and twenty one years, one hundred twenty
nine were enrolled in the schools, with an average daily attendance of one hundred fourteen. Besides these, there
were eleven non resident students attending who contributed one hundred thirty six dollars and eighty cents to
the school funds of the district. The average cost of tuition per month for each pupil was one dollar and seventy
six cents. The school house is valued at five thousand seven hundred dollars, with six hundred dollars invested
in school apparatus. There are one hundred sixty nine volumes in the school district library.
Some of the old settlers of the town and near by community were the Maynard and Pember families, J. A. Stevens,
E. B. Snedigar, C. S. Older, C. B. Rich, Emory Frost, A. S. Payne, H. S. Hadsel, W. E. Davis, Isaiah Stansberry,
Levi Smith, O. D. Bement, Harlow Giles, J. P. Prendergast. O. L. Farrand, Christ. First, S. H. Coon, Hiram Barnes,
S. M. Goodall, J. S. Hatton, W. H. Syford, W. H. Potter, J. A. Vincent, F. M. Leach, George A. Sampson, Adam H.
Weaver, S. S. Westgate, Joseph E. Beckner. S. P. Cushman, E. Packard, W. B. Beatty, M. C. Payne, S. T. Barnes,
George Barkoff John Cutler, George Rice, the Talcott families, Matthew Smith, E. E. Day, Josiah Davis, the Conrads,
H. L. Hadsel, George Sykes, the Fosket and Hollister families. It is not assumed that this is a complete list of
early settlers' names, and some may be omitted from the list who ought to be there; but this is the best that can
be done at this late date.
SOCIAL AND FRATERNAL ORDERS.
In December, 1873, Long Grove Grange was organized in Maynard, and during its existence, which covered a period
of many years, nearly every man and woman in the surrounding country was associated with it. Many of the early
members are dead and others removed, while the younger generations have allied themselves with other societies.
The Ancient Order of United Workmen lodge has been one of the continuing institutions of the place, and much good
has resulted from its existence. Diana Lodge No. 87 was organized on the 3oth of November. 1876. and was for a
number of years an exceptionally strong organization. It is purely an insurance society, though the ritualistic
and social functions are a source of pleasure to the members.
Maynard Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized in 1891, and started out with a strong membership.
It has always been an active and influential society in the town. A few years ago the Westgate lodge was consolidated
with the Maynard organization, thus discontinuing the one and strengthening the other. This is now the most prominent
and active social and beneficial fraternity in the place.