History Conroy, IA
From: History of Iowa County, Iowa And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915
The Village of Conroy had its inception in 1884, with the building of the Milwaukee through Hilton Township.
Henry Shimer of Mt. Carroll, Ill., donated ten acres of land to the railroad where Conroy now stands and James
Conroy helped to start the town, superintended the obtaining of the right of way for the railroad and in honor
of him the railroad officials named the new village after him. James Conroy also started the first store in Conroy,
with his son as manager. The Miner Grain Company of Cedar Rapids built a grain house next; this was the second
structure. Harry E. Hull was then manager of this plant at Conroy. The elevator was constructed some time afterwards.
The first car load of rye shipped from here on the new railroad was from the Engelbert farm adjacent to the town.
The first residence was the Conroy home. Peter White, Chris Engelbert, Levi Nelson and Richard Nelson were other
pioneers of the town with Conroy. The cooperative creamery was established and a building erected in 1890.
Return to [ Iowa County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]