History Dayton Township, Iowa County, IA
From: History of Iowa County, Iowa And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915

DAYTON TOWNSHIP

SETTLEMENT

Nicholas Tinkle, a native of Germany, came here from Indiana in the spring of 1844 and settled on section 1. In the fall of 1849 he sold to John Akers and removed to section 7, English Township, where he died in 1867. Abner Coble came to the township with Tinkle and settled on the same section: he later removed to Muscatine County and there ran a ferry across the river. Thomas Dedmore came from Indiana, formerly from Kentucky, in 1843 and settled on the northeast quarter of section 1. He subsequently removed to English, then back to Dayton, and here died in 1875. Abner H. and John Akers came from Ohio and in the fall of 1849 settled on the east half of section 2, where they constructed a log house. John afterward moved to English Township and in 1858 to Kansas, where he died in 1880. Abner H. went to English Township in the spring of '53 and lived in the Village of Millersburg. John Knox came from Illinois in 185o and settled on section 2. He went to Missouri in 1854 and after returning there from the army, died in 1866. A. T. Cross came from Ohio and in 185o settled on section 10. He afterward moved to Kansas. William Taylor came from Ohio in 1849 and settled on the southwest quarter of section 2.

The first birth was a son of Thomas Dedmore, about the year 1843. This child died when about a year old and the father buried it.

The first physician was John Akers, who practiced medicine here until he removed to Kansas. The first lawyers were A. T. Cross and J. M. Rankin. They were admitted to the practice about the year 1858 and for a few years followed their profession in this township.

FIRST ENTRIES

The first two entries were made on the same day, June t, 1849: Andrew Taylor entered in section 2 and William Taylor in section 3. The next piece of land was entered by Albert T. Cross on August 15, 1849, in section to. The next entry was by William Rankin on August 17, 1849; the next by David McCullough on December 5, 1849.

ORGANIZATION

The organization of this township occurred on the first Monday of April, 1857, the order having been given on March 2d previous. It was a part of English when there were only four townships in the county. At present it is uncertain who were the first officers in the township after it was organized. Martin Ballard and A. H. Akers were justices of the peace in the year 1851 and at the same time Jonathan McNeil was constable.

ALBERTON

This town was laid out by A. T. Cross on September 3, 1857, in section 10, township 78, range 12. No settlements were ever made here. Two postoffices have existed here in early time—Musquaka and Hedge.


Return to [ Iowa County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy