History Fillmore Township, Iowa County, IA
From: History of Iowa County, Iowa And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915
The township was named in honor of Millard Fillmore, the President of the United States at the time of the organization
of the township.
Up until the year 1843 the Indians were probably the only settlers in the territory now embraced in Fillmore
Township. These red men had their camps along the streams and in the forests, hunted and trapped, borrowed and
stole from the white men, and generally made themselves obnoxious. They numbered 400 or 50o at different times
in this locality.
This little village, not extinct, was laid out June 23, 1857, by Robert B. Lytle, on the southwest quarter of the northeast fractional quarter and the northwest fractional quarter of the northeast quarter of section 1, township 78, range 10. It covered an area of about one hundred and sixty acres. In 1880, just a few years before its demise, the town contained, a general store kept by Grimes and Kelly; a postoffice with J. M. Kelly, postmaster; a hotel operated by Mrs Julia Dunn; Welsh and Jennis, physicians; blacksmith shop run by Mike Dwyre; James Kimey's wagon shop; and a school taught by Katie Flanagan. The building of the railroad through the county from north to south, and which passed two miles west of Lytle City, forever doomed this little town. The people moved over to Parnell, newly established in 1884, and Lytle City completely disappeared.
This was an imaginative town located by F. Gowey on September 26, 1857, on the northwest corner of the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 23, township 78, range 10. It was laid out, platted and recorded, but no one ever lived there. There was another place called Hinkletown in the extreme south part of the township, but the presence of a store kept by Frank Lytle and a brick kiln by W. Watkins was the nearest it ever got to being a town.
Return to [ Iowa County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]