The Town of Millersburg was laid out by Reuben Miller in the spring of 1852. The original plat located the town
as being on the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 8, township 78, range 11, and the plat was
officially recorded on June 28, 1852. The town derives its name from Reuben Miller.
Millersburg at one time had the largest population of any town in the county and was undoubtedly the most important,
but the coming of the railroad to the north and east of her drew the trade away and curtailed the progress of settlement.
Notwithstanding this handicap, Millersburg has kept to the front in many matters and is far from being the shabby,
run down village which one would expect of a community so far removed from railroad facilities. The reason of this,
principally, is the rich character of the country surrounding the town. The land in this district is exceedingly
high in price per acre and the crops are always record breakers. It is said by many settlers in this region that
they have never known a crop failure. This in large measure accounts for the prosperity of such a community as
The Millersburg postoffice was established in 1852 with H. B. Lynch as the first postmaster. A bit of early history
(1857) is quoted in the following newspaper account: "We paid a short visit to Millersburg a week or two since
and received social and kindly attention from M. Ballard, Doctor Lynch, A. J. Morrison, Mr. Skelington and others.
It was on the occasion of a political meeting and there were quite a number of people gathered together. Millersburg
is delightfully located on a high, rolling prairie, about two and a half miles south of English River, and is surrounded
with excellent farms, in a good state of cultivation, well fenced, and several of them have young orchards growing
on them. The town is in a prosperous condition, having already many well finished frame houses and several others
in progress of completion. There is in the place an excellent steam flouring mill, five dry goods stores, a hardware
store, groceries, a clothing store, kept by our friend Skelington, a drug store kept by A. J. Morrison, besides
two excellent hotels. We only became acquainted with one of the dry goods merchants, M. H. Moore."
The Millersburg Savings Bank opened for business on January 19, 1909, with W. E. Sanger, president; Jacob Bauer,
vice president; and L. W. Hatter, cashier. The first directors were: Jacob Bauer, L. W. Hatter, J. E. Bosley, J.
L. Augustine, C. H. Wagner, W. E. Sanger, Alva Pope, George Dansdill and H. C. Gates. George Dansdill is the president
at this time; H. C. Gates, vice president; and L. W. Hatter, cashier. The directors in 1915 are: George Dansdill,
C. H. Wagner, Perry Montross, Henry Schaffner, W. H. Bower, H. C. Gates, L. W. Hatter, John Riess and J. L. Augustine.
The capital stock is $10,000; the surplus and undivided profits, $4,000; and the deposits amount to about $60,000.
The bank building was constructed in 1909 at a cost of $1,200; the fixtures are valued at $1,100.
The Millersburg Fair was started in 1893 and was held for three successive years at the north edge of town. J.
V. Hatter was the moving spirit in the fair organization and paid the expenses largely. Ten acres were comprised
in the fair grounds, upon which a half mile track was laid out.
The Methodist Protestant Church was organized in r858 by Rev. N. Linder. Millersburg was at that time the headquarters
of five churches of this denomination, namely: Dayton, Mount Zion, White Pigeon, Spring Dale and Millersburg. Some
of the early pastors were: Leonard Barton, F. A. Kilpatrick, E. S. Brown, W. B. Dunlevy, Willis Huddleston, H.
H. Workman, S. A. Talbott, T. S. Striker, \V. A. Swayne, E. S. Brown and J. E. Rouze.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Millersburg was organized about the year 1852. A church building was erected
in 1875 at a cost of $3,500. No pastor attends this church at the present time.
A Christian church was organized in April, 1856, by W. G. Springer.
The Catholic Church was at first located north of town on the Marengo road, but in 1897 was moved into Millersburg
and is now attended by the pastor of the North English Church. There is a small membership.
Social Lodge No. 231, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, was organized February 8, 1868, in Kennedy's Hall with
the following charter members: J. S. Watts, W. R. Akers, J. P. Sivard, W. Wilson, W. C. Brown, J. L. Bailey, Wallace
Hanninson, J. V. Hatter, J. F. Cushman.
The North English Lodge No. 325, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was instituted December 5, 1875, in a hall over
the Morris Wood Shop, with J. W. Springer, H. A. Fluckey, M. Showers, John D. Gilchrist, E D Richardson and M.
A. Kirkpatrick as charter members.
James Cross Post No. 292, Grand Army of the Republic, was organized at Millersburg on February 22, 1884. The
charter members were: Oliver W. Van, Christopher Tinkle, J. A. Cary, G. H. Clements, A. Vanhorn, John Hubert, M.
Ingram, P. N. Ballard, N. M. Baughman, I. Cheney, Martin Hughes, Samuel McManes, Lant Tompkins, Amasa Cheney, H.
W. Darling, A. P. Griffith, Ezekiel Jones, Joshua A. Ballard, G. C. Smart, E. S. Bateman, George Shaw, M. M. Walter,
Eli Sweet, Alonzo Butler, Theopolis McKinnie, Amos Cheney, Frederick Miller, A. A. Cary, August C. Paul, Samuel
E. Harper, Joseph Morris, Henry itkins and William Goodman. The names of those taken in after the post was organized
are: M. L. Grimes, J. D. Butler, Sanford Carder, Robert McEachran, H. C. Dufford, Peter Fitzgerald, George W. Leonard,
Edwin Carr, Fred W. Himler, J. L. King, Peter Carder, Horace Barber, John L. Clanin, John Hall, A. McCament, Cornelius
Devore, Thomas Griffith, T. M. Thompson, Alex C. Best, William M. Clifford, F. A. Pettit, David Tinkle, Ezra Doty,
Michael Convey, Clancy Neil, M. S. Brown, M. B. Thomas, J. W. Erwin, Charles H. Chapman, J. A. Miller, C. C. Witheral.
The date of the charter of this post is March 6, 1884
Millersburg people and settlers of the surrounding country were very patriotic during the War of the Rebellion,
and a large proportion of the men who enlisted went out from Millersburg and vicinity, as a reference to the roster
of soldiers in the War of 1861 elsewhere in this history will fully confirm.
The first school in Millersburg was taught by John William Sharp in the fall of 1855. The graded schools were established
January 5, 1869, and the following persons were the first directors: J. V. Hatter, A. W. Young, J. P. Sivard, A.
H. Akers, J. B. Elliott and A. Griffith. The first schoolhouse is still standing at the northwest corner of the
square, being the house now occupied by Orville E. Hatter as a dwelling. There is now in process of construction
at Millersburg a $15,000 school building.
In 1855 William G. Peppers ran the first store in the town. R. M. Parsons opened a drug store about the same
Dr. H. B. Lynch was the first doctor. The first hotel was conducted by George Edgerton.
The first postoffice was in charge of H. B. Lynch in 1852. Following him the postmasters have been: Hamilton Moore,
E. D. Akers, A. J. Morrison, Ernest Alton, John G. Schlieter, J. B. Kerr, H. B. Lynch, Martin Ballard, David Wickard,
J. B. Elliott, J. V. Hatter, J. B. Sargod, J. V. Hatter, William Carey, Eli Sweet, Charles Montrose, Amos Deets,
Jane Deets and Mrs. Orville Hatter, the present incumbent.
The doctors who have practiced in Millersburg are: H. B. Lynch, Jones & Hardin, J. S. Watts, Watts Bates, Hugh
Conroy, Walker, H. W. Vinson, J. M. Cadwallader and L. B. Amick.
The oldest living settler of the town is Mrs. Phoebe Ann Carter Merck, eighty years of age. She was married in