History Troy Township, Iowa County, IA
From: History of Iowa County, Iowa And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915
Evan D. Evans, Richard Pugh and William Evans were the first white settlers in Troy Township. They all came
from the same state and settled at the same time. They located on section 15 in the autumn of 1844. These three
men were of Welsh descent, coming from Wales to America in 1840 Evan and William were brothers, and Richard Pugh
afterward became their brother in law. These three men were all married near Cincinnati, and very soon afterward
started westward to Iowa Territory. They came by boat from Cincinnati to Burlington; then hired an ox team to bring
them on to the place where they settled. They soon had thrown up a crude cabin just south of the road at the center,
near the east line of section 15, township 79, range 10, and in this primitive house the three families lived during
the winter of 1844-45. This was the first house in Troy Township. The next spring Richard Pugh constructed a house
of heavy logs just east of the center of section 15, which was the second house in the township. Then William Evans
built a loghouse near Old Man's Creek, a little west of the other two. All three of these men are long since dead,
after lives of much usefulness. All had large families, the most of whom are now living in the township settled
by their fathers. Jane Evans, the daughter of Evan D. Evans, was the first white child born in the township. She
was born in 1845 and died in 1848. David E. Evans, born December 31, 1847, was the first white boy born in Troy.
Evan D. Evans was naturalized on May 24, 1847.
An order from court, dated February 26, 1856, described township 79, range to, and named it Troy, and further ordered that the election be held in the schoolhouse near the house of William Evans on the first Monday of April, 1856. At this first election the following officers were elected: Henry Cook, William Evans, Thomas Hanson, trustees; William Rowland, clerk; O. M. Kilbourne, assessor. The first meeting of the board of trustees was at the house of William Evans.
THE PRAIRIE FIRE
The following quoted account of the prairie fire is credited by the early settlers of the county as being the
truth. It is said that many persons have seen the scars made by the flames upon Evan D. Evans and his wife, Jane,
while they were living.
OTHER PROMINENT SETTLERS
J. Brigham was a prominent farmer who came to the township in 1855, coming from Ohio. George Fletcher came to the township in 1858, and was a justice of the peace and merchant; his son Charles is now city clerk of Williamsburg. The Gale family came to Iowa in 1855. W. W. Hasting, carpenter and wagonmaker, came to the county in 1854. In 1856 John Hughes, Sr., came to the county, then went back to Ohio and returned the following year with his family. He was postmaster at Williamsburg for seventeen years, was county supervisor, justice of the peace, and also held other county and township positions.
Return to [ Iowa County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]