History Washington Township, Iowa County, IA
From: History of Iowa County, Iowa And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP

FIRST SETTLING

One of the first settlers in Washington Township was George Titler. He came from Seneca County, O. In the spring of 1849 he entered 600 acres of land, half in Benton and half in Iowa County. Some of his land was in section 17, some in 12 and 13. In the year 1853 he removed to this township with his wife and four children. One son, however, came with him in 1849 and remained on the farm. This was Benjamin, and he was probably the first permanent settler in the township. Mr. Titler constructed the first frame dwelling in the township; building it about the year 1853. There were several houses here then, which had been up for about five years, but they were all built with hewn logs. George Titler died in 1877, and Benjamin in 1853.

John Bishop was another early settler. He came from Ohio about the year 185o. He raised a family of seven boys and twelve girls. He died about 1869. His farm is now known as the Jacob Densler farm. Ransom Mason was another early comer. He came from Vermont in 1850 and made a permanent settlement in the southwest quarter of section 18. He later moved to near Newton, Ia. The farm is now known as the George Lewis farm, north of Marengo. The residence built by Mr. Mason is still standing and in a good state of repair.

FIRST ENTRIES

The first entry was made by William Justice on July 10, 1846. Following him came Lewis F. Wilson, December 23, 1846; Ransom Mason, January 27, 1847; Daniel A. Peck, July 11, 7848; George Titler, April 9, 1849; John R. Ross, January 22, 1849.

ORGANIZATION

For many years the land now included in the Township of Washington was a part of Marengo Township. The separation occurred in 1861, and at the first election the following officers were chosen: George Titier, Martin Byers, Jerome Halleck, trustees; E. B. Hendershott, township clerk; I. D. Titler, assessor. The first meeting of the board of trustees was at the Mason Schoolhouse.

Much of the land in this township is rough and broken, and at one time covered with a heavy growth of white oak timber of exceptionally fine quality. When the timber was removed much of the land was considered almost worthless and allowed to sell for taxes; and there are a number of farms with tax sale titles that cannot now be bought without improvements for $100 per acre. It is now considered to be the best tame grass, fruit and vegetable land in the county.


Return to [ Iowa County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy