Under date August 11, 1858, the County Court "Ordered, That a new township be made and established out
of the west end of Badger Township, to be described as follows, to wit: commencing at the northeast corner of section
1, thence west to the northwest corner section 6; thence south to the southwest corner of section 30; thence east
to the southeast corner of section 25; thence north to the place of beginning, all in township 77 and range 27.
"And it is further ordered and ordained that Badger Township be and remain all of township 77 and range 26.
"And it is further ordered that the said new township be known as and named Jefferson Township; and it is
further ordered that the first election in said new township be held at the house of William Alford, in said new
township, and that the warrant, provided by law, be directed to Addison Knight, constable, to post the notice and
make the return required by law."
The township above named, as shown by the map, is bounded on the north by Dallas County, on the south by Union,
on the east by Lee and on the west by Madison townships. North Branch passes through its boundaries from west to
east and along this stream the settlers found an abundance of excellent timber. Badger Creek traverses the northern
part but, unlike most streams, little, if any, timber was found along its borders. However, there were large areas
of good limestone on North Branch and some coal of an excellent quality has also been found along this branch.
Following the streams the surface of the country is quite rough and broken, but in other portions the prairies
are high and rolling and in this age, excellent in all thngs, many fine farms, highly cultivated and improved,
add beauty and interest to the general landscape. The northern part of Jefferson comprises a portion of that beautiful
prairie lying between North Branch and Coon River, known as Quaker Divide.
Probably no person now in Jefferson recalls the fact that once the township, except the southern tier of sections,
was a part of Badger Township, nor for that matter, that there ever was a township named Badger. There was a township
by that name, however, which only existed from March i6, 1857, to September 6, 1858, at which latter date the name
was changed to Lee, in honor of Harvey Lee, then a resident near the southwest corner of that township. At the
first election held in the county, January 1, 1849, for the purpose of perfecting its organization, what is now
Jefferson Township was included in that part of the county designated as North voting precinct. At the second meeting
of the Commissioners' Court, held February 19, 1849, this included as a part of Union Township, one of the three
townships created on that day. On July 8, 1851, the east two tiers of sections now within the confines of Jefferson,
with other territory, was ineluded in a new township named East, whch comprised the territories of the present
Lee and Crawford and the northeastern corner of Union.
This township was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States. At the first election
for township officers, party lines were not drawn in local matters and but one ticket was placed in the field.
However, the township was decidedly republican. The north four and a half miles of its territory constituted a
part of what was in early times known and designated as "Coon Divide." Being practically destitute of
timber it was not settled very rapidly. It had two periods in the history of its settlement during which nearly
all of its first settlers arrived - from 1854 to 1859, and from 1866 to 1870. But the land in that portion of the
present township along North River and North Branch was quite well occupied by 1866.
Pursuant to notice issued by the County Court electors of the township first met at the house of William Alford
on October 12, 1858, for the purpose of electing a list of officials. Alexander Ballentine was chosen chairman
and the election hoard was completed by the selection of William Payton, Alexander Ballentine and Thomas Myers
as judges; Anthony Myers and Samuel W. Nicholson, clerks. The following list of persons were elected as the first
officials for the township: Trustees, George Fisher, William Alford and William McCleary; clerk, Samuel W. Nicholson;
assessor, Anthony Myers; road supervisors, district No. 1, George Gutshall; No. 2, William Payton; No. 3, John
P. Clark. The latter being exempted, William McCleary was appointed in his stead November 18th following. Justices
of the peace, Daniel H. Rose and Alexander Ballentine; constables, John B. Nicholson and William B. Norris. At
this election the following persons voted: Thomas D. Nicholson, William L. Brown, Jacob Riegel, Harvey Smith, John
Gossage, John H. Mitchell, John B. Nicholson, William Alford, William Payton, D. H. Rose, George Fisher, George
Fisher, Jr., William M. Fisher, Thomas S. Myers, John S. Moon, George W. Mullen, Alexander Ballentine, Daniel Jones,
Thomas Jones, William B. Norris, Hugh Ballentine, Thomas Myers, A. J. Ballentine, Alexander Chambers, Merit Cunningham,
William McCleary, S. W. Nicholson, H. T. Ballentine, Anthony Myers and John W. Roderick.
James Brown settled on North River in southeast quarter, section 36, 77-27, then Union, now Jefferson Township,
in 1847, at Brown's Ford (later Brown's Bridge).
Among the first settlers were the Gossage, 1848 (?); Smith, 1852; Bowers, 1853 (?); Bauer, 1854; Folwell, 1850;
Payton, 1854; Brown, 1847; Rose, 1854; Gutshall, 1854; Nicholson, 1854; Schoen, 1852, and Fisher, 1855, families.
It is said that John Gossage was here as early as 1848 or 1849, and turned over the first sod broken in the county
on what afterwards became the Nicholson place.
Samuel Falwell left his home in Holmes County, Ohio, in 1850, and making his way west to Iowa, settled on section
34, in this township. A son, James D., lost his life from disease contracted while in the army. He was a member
of Company B, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry.
Josiah Smith came to the county with William Lucas and the Bennetts from Springfield, Illinois, and settled in
Jefferson Township, in 1852. Thomas J. McKenzie married Mary, a daughter of Josiah Smith, in October, 1854, the
ceremony being performed by J. K. Evans, justice of the peace. By 1870 Josiah Smith had quite a large nursery,
which he sold to a brother, Harvey Smith, in 1873.
In January, 1852, as will be seen later on in this chapter, William Schoen bought a claim on the south half of
section 35, on which he took up his residence and through industry and good judgment brought it to a high state
of cultivation. It was his home for a great many years.
Stephen Bower arrived in the township in 1853; D. H. Rose, George Gutshall and Thomas Nicholson, in 1854.
S. W. Nicholson was born in, Jefferson County, Ohio, and came to Iowa from that state in 1854. He entered land
on section 18, in this township. During the same spring William Payton and James Brown located near. These three
families were among the first to locate in Jefferson Township. Mrs. Nicholson taught the first school on the divide
between Council Bluffs and Des Moines, in a building whch long stood near the Nicholson residence. Mr. Nicholson
died in 1874 and for many years thereafter the homestead was ably managed by his widow, who was a member of the
first religious organization in the township - that is to say, the Methodist Episcopal Church, which was organized
in July, 1855, at the home of William Payton. The society at that time consisted of William Payton and wife, D.
H. Rose and wife, John Mitchell and wife, George Mullen and wife, S. W. Nicholson and wife, George Gutshall and
Ira C. Walker and his bride, Lucy Edmondson Walker, settled in Jefferson Township in 1854. Here they found an unbroken
tract of land on North River, where Mr. Walker built a home and from the waist high, grass grown land, he made
a farm which had no superior in Madison County. Winterset and Des Moines were theinonly markets. In 1910 Mr. and
Mrs. Walker celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of their wedding day.
George Fisher, Sr., was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1807, and immigrated to Iowa in 1855, settling on section
4, in this township. When he began farming at his new home he had the help and comfort of his wife and children.
He became one of the prominent men of the community and brought his place up to a high state of improvement. Edward
S. Fisher, a son, who came with his father in 1855, took hold of the farm when the elder Fisher practically retired
from active affairs.
E. Kopp, spoken of elsewhere, was one of the German settlers who came here in an early day and located in the spring
of 1856 on section 34. In the same year Jacob Riegel located on section 26.
Among other settlers in this township of the early day, who may be here mentioned, were the Brittains, the Renshaws,
John and Adam Shanibaugh, the former of whom twice represented the county in the State Legislature. There were
also George Mueller and others, mentioned in an interesting article which follows, prepared by Herman Mueller.
There were A. D. Fletcher, the Brookers, Burgers, Storcks and Cooks. The names of many of the pioneers of Jefferson
Township, not here enumerated, will be found in the second volume of this work.
No mill has ever been built in Jefferson Township for the production of food stuffs, but a sawmill was erected
in 1856 by Jacob Riegel, which was run by water power, on North Branch. This primitive industry continued in operation
over twenty years, under different ownerships, however.
The Jefferson schoolhouse was erected during the fall of the year 1858. It was the first building put up exclusively
for school purposes, out of the public funds of the township. The Payton church and schoolhouse, however, was built
before this time, with funds contributed by individuals for the two purposes, that is, for a Methodist meeting
house and public school. The Jefferson schoolhouse was a frame 24 by 30 feet, and all the material used in it was
produced by the Eli Cox steam sawmill on North River, with the exception of the shingles, which were hand shaven.
The plastering was the work of Jesse Truitt, of Winterset. All the carpenter work was done by John P. Clark and
William McCleary, including the seats and the pulpit style of desk for the teacher. The contract price was $200.
For those times this building was considered quite a grand affair. It stood upon a high hill near the William McCleary
place and could be seen for many miles in all directions. In this old school Butler Bird, Timothy Adams, later
a prominent preacher, and Zachariah Ross, also a minister, presided over the pupils. Charles Goodale, who for three
terms held the office of county auditor, was also one of the teachers. The winter following the erection of the
schoolhouse, one of the largest Methodist revivals held in the county brought large gatherings of people here for
several days and nights.
After the present Jefferson schoolhouse No. 7 was built during the summer of 1874, the old building was sold to
the Jefferson Grange No. 895 and moved to the southeast corner of northeast quarter southeast quarter section 26,
77-27, and used for a hall until this organization disbanded, about the year 1877-78. Jefferson Grange was organized
February 18, 1873, and William McCleary was the "shining light" and "guiding star" until its
close. The building was sold to the Widow Jones and used for a stable for many years afterwards.
THE GERMAN ELEMENT IN JEFFERSON
By H. A. Mueller and George Storck
During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, when England, France and Spain were exploring and colonizing
America, the German states being divided into petty principalities and rent with religious wars, did not take part
in the movement on the Western Continent. It was in the beginning of the eighteenth century that the first Germans
came to Pennsylvania, encouraged by William Penn; hence, there were more Germans there than in any of the other
colonies and they became known as the Pennsylvania Dutch. Palatines, Moravians and other Germans settled in Maryland,
New York, Virginia and the Carolinas, and the Salzburgers in Georgia. They were all sober and industrious, and
took little part in politics but many of them fought in the Revolutionary war. They had come to America because
of persecution in their own country, and were seeking a free land. Since 1820 one third of the immigrants have
been Germans. The revolutionary movements of 1848 in Europe caused emigration in large numbers. It was from this
time on that we received some of the best of the German refugees, as Hecker, Franz Siegel and Carl Schurz.
Some of these immigrants would land at New York and other large cities, and, having no particular destination,
would remain and later, possibly, migrate westward. Some went by way of the Erie Canal, Lake Erie to Detroit, and
many settled in Michigan and Wisconsin. Others took the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Pittsburg, thence down
the Ohio River and up the Mississippi and settled at St. Louis, Keokuk, Burlington and Davenport; from these points
they went out and settled over Iowa. Those going by way of the Erie Canal route, Erie Railroad and by steamer on
the lakes, went to Chicago and points in Wisconsin; to Milwaukee, the place made famous by its breweries, and thence
to Dubuque and Clayton counties. The Pennsylvania Germans and those in other states moved with the tide of emigration
to Ohio, Indiana, etc., and thence to Iowa.
Thus we have the three routes of travel by which most of the Germans in the middle of the nineteenth century came
to Iowa and we find representatives of most of them in this county.
In Madison County there are three distinct German settlements. Mention will be made of the oldest one, in the southeast
part of Jefferson Township. William Schoen was the first one to settle here. In fact, he was the first foreign
born settler in Madison County. Two Pennsylvania Germans, I. G. Houk and O. A. Mosier were in the county before
William Schoen was born September 1, 1826, at Grabow, Mecklenburg, Schwerin, Germany. He served in the Schleswig-Holstein
war against Denmark from 1848 to 1851, enlisting March 20, 1848, in Company K, Ninth Battalion of Infantry. He
engaged in the battle of Hoptrug, July 26, 1848, Kolding, April 23, 1849, where he received a gunshot wound in
the foot and a bayonet thrust in the leg; was in the battle of Stotert, July 6, 1850, and was made first sergeant
of Company I. He was discharged January 1, 1851, and sailed for America on the 8th of March that year, landing
on the 7th of May, 1851. He reached Elm Grove, Marion County, Iowa, July 12, 1851, where he remained until January,
1852, when he came to Winterset and bought a claim of John Wilhoit, January 7, 1852, on the south half of section
35, Jefferson Township, then being part of Union Township, and has lived there ever since. Miss Dorethea Lorentzen
came from Germany to Mr. Schoen's home, in the summer of 1851, and was married to him July 6, 1852, by N. W. Guiberson,
then a justice of the peace of Union Township. William Schoen enlisted at Des Moines, in September, 186t, in Company
G, Sixteenth Volunteer Regiment of Iowa Infantry; participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing and Shiloh and
was discharged September 15, 1862, on account of rheumatism. He served as school director in 1873 and justice of
the peace in 1881. For a number of years, from 1877 to 1890, he conducted a creamery, which was of much significance
to the farmers. His lovable wife went to her reward on the 6th clay of September, 1890. Mr. Schoen died May 6,
1910, and was laid away by the side of his wife in Jefferson Cemetery, May 8, 1910.
Along with Dorethea Lorentzen came a neighbor, John Spethman, who lived in the community until 1866. His family
followed him in 1854, and his son, Leopold, served in Company B, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry. The next German settler
in this vicinity was Stanislaus Baur. Hearing of Mr. Schoen while at Winterset, in July, 1854, he came there and
bought the land he owned on section 25, Jefferson Township. One son, George, now lives in Stuart, Iowa, and the
other son, Robert, lives on an adjoining farm in Jefferson Township. Hip only daughter, Mrs. Withrow, died a few
years ago. Mr. Baur also died some years ago. His widow lives at the old homestead. In the fall of 1854, Jacob
Riegel and family, consisting of twelve children, came from Davis County and settled on section 26. He was a Pennsylvania
German, whose parents had settled in the Keystone State after the Revolutionary war. Mr. Riegel built an up and
down sawmill, run by water power, in 1854-5, on land now owned by William Schoen, and for several years, until
about 1873, sawed lumber for the surrounding community.
On the same ship with William Schoen were William and Theodore Kopp, who came with him to Marion County. In the
fall of 1851 they moved to Pella, where they were joined by their brother, Ernest, in 1854. In the fall of 1854
they settled in Madison County, on section 34. William lived on the farm now owned by August F. Burger on section
34 and Theodore where William H. Burger lived, east half, northeast quarter section 34, 77-27. They were from Stettin,
Germany, and were highly cultured, but not educated to do with their hands, so were not successful in a new country
as pioneer farmers. In 1856 William Kopp went to Keokuk, to edit and manage a German newspaper, and in 1857 to
New York and later to Boston, as editor of the Heinzen Pioneer. In 1869 he went to Detroit as editor of the Detroit
Post and resided there until his death. Mr. Kopp was also a talented musician and wrote several songs, for which
he composed the music.
Theodore Kopp sold his first farm to Gottlob Burger in 1859, but lived in the neighboring community until he enlisted
in Company A, Thirty ninth Iowa Infantry, in 1862; he died at Rome, Georgia, August 27, 1864. Theodore was married
after coming to Madison County. Three daughters are living in Des Moines - Mrs. Charles Budd, Mrs. Lottie Dolphin
and Mary Kopp.
Ernest Kopp lived more or less of the time with William Schoen until his marriage (in 1867) to Elwilda Owen.
For several years he lived on the west half of the northwest quarter of section 34, Jefferson Township, and about
1884 moved to the farm on section 27, where he spent the rest of his days. Mr. Kopp was also well educated in the
schools of Germany and, from 1876 to the time of his death, taught music throughout the northeast part of Madison
County. He has four children living, Mrs. John O. McCleary, Mrs. Grant Taylor, Charles Kopp and Elizabeth Kopp,
now married and with whom her mother lives.
About 1859 Louis Stracke located in Winterset and conducted a county dispensary until the fall of 1860, when he
moved to the northwest quarter of section 25, Jefferson Township, and farmed until 1866. He then moved to Warsaw,
Illinois, where he died a few years ago.
In 1848, Gottlob Burger came to the United States and assisted in building the first railroad in Vermont. Later
he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he married Mrs. Frances Zweigla Burger, in December, 1850. Mr. Burger was born
in Esslingen, Wurtemberg, January 8, 1825. After his marriage he moved with his family to Keokuk, Iowa, where for
a while he conducted a bakery business, that being his trade in the old country. Keokuk being a landing place,
he later hauled freight from the Mississippi steamers and made several trips with merchandise to Winterset in the
'50s, by way of St. Charles. He knew Louis Stracke, and through his acquaintance with Schoen, he bought the farm
owned by Theodore Kopp and moved thereon in 1859. Mrs. Burger had been married to a cousin of Gottlob Burger and
to them were born five children, all excepting one coming to Madison County, namely: August F. Burger; Mrs. Van
Buren Wiggins, who died in 1900; Mrs. Louisa Hoppe; Frederich Burger, of Lamar, Colorado; and Charles Burger, of
Des Moines. Those by her marriage to Gottlob Burger are: William H. Burger, of Jefferson Township; and Mrs. Henry
Brown, of Lamar, Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Burger continued to live on this farm, where they reared their family,
until 1891, and then sold it. After living two years with their daughter, Mrs. Henry Brown, at Hamburg, Iowa, they
returned to Jefferson Township, and bought the Folwell Farm, on section 34. Mrs. Burger, a noble woman, died February
14, 1901. Mr. Burger then sold his farm to his son in law, Henry Brown, and since has been living with his children.
He is another of those sturdy pioneers who helped to make this county what it is today.
As mentioned above, August F. Burger came to the United States with his parents and to this county in 1859. He
was born August 3, 1843. When the Civil war broke out he enlisted in Company B, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry, September
22, 1861, and was discharged August 3, x865. He took part in over fifty battles and skirmishes and was in the Grand
Review at Washington. On his return he purchased a part interest in the Weller Mill, married Ellen Fosher in 1867,
and purchased the farm on which he now lives, once owned by William Kopp. In 1894 Mrs. Burger died and on December
25, 1896, he married Miss Laura Mueller. They have three children, August F., Jr., George and Herman Louis.
William H. Burger was born November 3, 1852, at Keokuk, Iowa; came to Madison County with his parents in 1859 and
married Albertine Marquardt, March 13, 1883. He purchased the home farm of his father in Jefferson Township and
later sold this farm and now owns 40o acres in sections 22 and 27, 77-27. They have a family of five boys and one
Frederick W. Burger, a second son, came to Madison County with his parents; enlisted in Company B, Fifteenth Iowa
Regiment; on his return he married Ellen Turney and owned a farm in Lee Township. Later he conducted a meat market
in Winterset; he died in June, 1908, in Des Moines, and his remains were laid to rest in the old neighborhood cemetery
in Jefferson Township.
Dr. Henry d'Duhuy, a brother in law of William Schoen, immigrated from Germany about 1856, and lived near Riegel's
Mill. In 1857 a postoffice was established, called Bloomingdale, and d'Duhuy was its postmaster in 1857-8., He
later moved to Union Township, in the Farris neighborhood, taught school, farmed and, about 1863, enlisted as a
surgeon in the Union army. He died a few years ago in Kansas City.
Julius Reiman was born August 23, 1842, in Germany, and came to Lee Township, Madison County, in 1860. In 1866
he rented the farm, which he afterwards owned, of Louis Stracke, who had moved to Warsaw, Illinois. Mr. Reiman,
with his mother, went to Germany in the summer of 1869, where she died and he returned in the fall of the same
year. He lived at various places, but in 1872 bought a farm in section 25, Jefferson Township, and in June, 1874,
married Miss Anna Schultze. He lived on this farm until his death, March 25, 1895. His widow and children live
on the farm, except one son, John.
George Mueller was born September 11, 1842, in Hohnsheidt, Eder Township, Principality of Waldeck, Germany. He
came to America when a young lad, in 1859, and to Winterset in 1860. He with his cousin, Louis Stracke, located
in Jefferson Township in the fall of 1860. In the winter of 1861-62 he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and then to Warsaw,
Illinois, where, in 1864, he married Miss Katharine Schott and immediately returned to Jefferson Township. In 1866
he had rented a part of the Schoen place and that fall bought a farm in section 2, Union Township, which he still
owns. In 1886 he built a new house, just across the road from his old log cabin and is living there today.
Mr. Mueller, like many of the early pioneers, transformed a wilderness into one of the best farms in that community.
He served as township trustee from 1891 to 1907, was school director of his district six or seven years, and road
supervisor one or two terms. Seven children fell to his lot, now all grown up: Herman A. Mueller who served the
county well and faithfully as auditor, later held the position of cashier in the Johnston Bank at St. Charles,
and is now engaged in the real estate and insurance business; Mrs. A. F. Burger, of Winterset; Mrs. Pleasant Brittain,
of Ransom County, North Dakota; George E. Mueller, of Tioga, North Dakota, where he is farming and teaching school;
Oscar O. Mueller, an attorney at law at Lewistown, Montana; Ernest W. Mueller, in charge of the home farm; and
Mrs. Fannie Mueller St. John of Sheridan, Wyoming.
At times there were Germans who would live a few years in the settlement and then move away. Frederick Thoms worked
for George Mueller in 1876 and owned a small farm in section 34, Jefferson Township and, in 1877, rented the A.
F. Burger place. In 1878 he bought a farm in section 16, where there was another German settlement. About 1881
he sold out and moved to Nebraska.
Somewhere about 1882 Emil Mathes worked for William Schoen in the creamery, later sent for his mother and sister
in Germany, and lived near this vicinity until about 1890, when he went to Des Moines and later to Chicago.
Reinhold Kneuper came from Germany in 1871, lived in this settlement a few years and then bought a farm in section
8, Jefferson Township. Two Franco-Prussian soldiers, Daniel Wenzell and Henry Walsmith, located here in 1871. They
remained a year or so and then went to Nebraska.
There is also a German settlement in the northwest part of Jefferson Township, sometimes known as the Clayton County
German Settlement. Landing in New York from Germany, these people first made their way to Northeastern Iowa but
when that country began to settle up and land increased in value, they sold out there and sought cheaper farms.
Some Americans from Clayton County had located in Madison County after the war, about 1866 and 1867, among the
number being A. M. Peters and others. About this time the Rock Island Railroad was being built through from Des
Moines and these German people heard of this and also that Madison County was noted for cheap lands and fertile
soil, and thus it was that they were attracted to this part of the state. George Storck was the first of the number
to come to Madison County, the year of his arrival being 1868. He purchased a quarter section of raw prairie land
on section 13, Madison Township and then returned to his home in Delaware County. In January, 1870, he returned
to Madison County, improved his land and has lived here continuously since, having in the meantime acquired 520
acres of the best land in the county. He was but five years of age when he was brought by his parents from Germany
in 1848 to Clayton County. He enlisted in Company E, Twenty seventh Iowa Infantry, on the 22d of August, 1862,
and was mustered out August 8, 1865. He received a wound in the shoulder at the battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana,
and was promoted to the rank of corporal. After the war he returned to Clayton County but in 1867 located in Delaware
County, where he made his home until he came to Madison County, From 1883 until 1885 he served on the board of
supervisors, and since 1880 has been connected with the Madison County Mutual Insurance Company, first as president
and then as secretary, which position he still holds.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Gerhardt Starch, a brother of George Storck, came to Madison County in the spring of 1870 and settled on the
northeast quarter of section 9, Jefferson Township. He was the owner of 700 acres of land in Jefferson Township.
He died a few years ago.
Ferdinand Marquardt, a brother in law of both George and Gerhardt Storck, came a single man, with them from Clayton
County. About 1871 he bought the southwest quarter of section 3, Jefferson Township, which he improved and on which
he still makes his home. He also owns another farm in this township and one in Penn Township, near Dexter.
August Bernau came from Clayton County in 1872 and settled. on section 7, Jefferson Township. He died here in 1883.
His son William died in 1894 and the latter's widow now makes her home on the old Bernau homestead, owning 200
acres. Another son of August Bernan, J. H. Bernau, bought the northeast quarter of section 23, Jefferson Township,
where his son, Elbert H., now lives. J. H. Bernau died in 1899.
John Westphal came from Clayton County in 1874 and bought 240 acres of land in section 3, Jefferson Township. He
was serving as treasurer of the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company at the time of his death in 1880. His widow owns
160 acres of land here, which she rents. Her son Herman also owns eighty acres in this township.
August Ziemann came from Clayton County in 1873 and first located on land which he rented from L. Renshaw. In a
few years he purchased a farm on section 21, whereon he still makes his home. He now owns 280 acres.
Charles Wishmeyer, who was born in Galena, Illinois, came to Madison County in 187i and soon afterward purchased
a farm in Jefferson Township. He died here in February, 1907.
Carl Marquardt emigrated with his family from Germany to Clayton County in 1859 and came from there to Madison
County in 1873. He purchased a farm on section 9, Jefferson Township, which was his home until his death in 1896.
The farm is now owned by Gerhardt Storck.
H. E. Marquardt came with his parents from Clayton County in 1873 and bought eighty acres of land on section 9,
this township. He later sold the tract to G. Storck and bought 220 acres on sections 4 and 5. He has served as
secretary of the Jefferson Township school board for several years.
Fred H. Meyers came here in 1874 with his stepfather, John Westphal. About 1888 he bought the southeast quarter
of section 21, and a few years ago purchased the Sylvester Renshaw Farm, his possessions now comprising a half
section of land.
William Steinhaus and his son Edward, with their families, came direct from Germany to Madison County in 1873.
In 1884 they moved to Nebraska.
August Prochnow came here from Germany in 1873 with the Steinhaus families. He owned 160 acres of land on sections
10 and r5. In 1903 he died in a miser's hut, with plenty about him.
William Buske came here from Clayton County in 1871. He bought the northeast quarter of section 8, but sold his
land about ten years ago and is now living in Des Moines.
Fred Roggmann came here from Clayton County in 1873. Two years later, in 1875, he sold his land on section 8 to
Louis Niendorf and left the county. Mr. Niendorf, who came from Clayton County in 1874, added to the 160 acres
purchased of Buske until he had 320 acres, now owned by his heirs. Mr. Niendorf died a few years since.
Chris Heitman came to Madison County in the early '70s and bought the southwest quarter of section 9, which he
sold in 1885 or 1886 and moved to Nebraska.
Ferdinand Jensen came to Madison County in 1883 and a few years later bought the southwest quarter of section 9
of Peter B. Lienemann. This farm he afterward sold to N. Boos and purchased land on section 4, which has since
been his home.
Conrad Fundinger came to Madison County in 1881 and purchased the northeast quarter of section 16, which he still
B. B. Lienemann on emigrating from Germany, first located in Jackson County, Iowa. In 1882 he came to Madison County
and bought land on sections 5 and 6, Jefferson Township. He died about 1901. His son, John, lived on section 20
for a few years and then moved to Arkansas. Another son, Peter, now lives on the old home farm, while Brachtel
and William live on farms near by.
Fred Thoms made his home for a few years on the farm which is now occupied by Conrad Fundinger, the latter purchasing
the land in 1881. Mr. Thorns then went farther west.
Louis Vaudt* came to Madison County in 1885 from Stuart, Iowa. He first rented land for about a year and then bought
forty acres on section 15, his present home. He has since purchased more land and now owns 275 acres. His sons,
A. J. and Albert, are operating the farms, while another son, William. bought land in the northeast part of the
* Mr. Vaudt sold out a few years ago and moved to Kossuth County where he died in 1914.
Carl Radke came from Germany to Madison County in the early '80s, and a few years later bought land on section
10, where his son, Otto, now makes his home. Both Mr. Radke and his wife are deceased. Herman Radke also makes
his home in Jefferson Township.
George Lentz emigrated from Germany to Madison County in 1891 and lived on a farm located in section To. After
about ten years spent here he and his son, Henry, moved to South Dakota. His son, John, purchased land of the Niendorf
estate, located on section 8.
Nicholas Boos in 1898 purchased what is known as the Chris Heitman farm of Ferdinand Jensen, located on the southwest
quarter of section 9, and has since made his home thereon.
Frederick E. Meyer emigrated from Germany a number of years ago and for a time made his home in Penn Township,
after which he located at Van Meter. About 1885 he married Ida, a daughter of Gerhardt Storck, and lived on land
belonging to his father in law until his death about 1903. For several years he served as clerk of the township.
Henry Wehrkampf came to Madison County from Clayton County in the '8os and bought land on section 4. In 1898 he
sold out to Ferdinand Jensen and returned to Clayton County.
Ferdinand Dallman came here front Wisconsin in 1875 and later bought the north half of the southwest quarter of
section to, where he made his home until his wife's death. He eventually sold his farm and about 1903 or 1904,
with his daughter and her husband, moved to Dakota.
With the Dallmans came Ferdinand Kading and August Crumrie When they came here in 1875 they had one team and a
wagon and they are now prosperous farmers of Adair County.
William and Henry Kahre also lived in the German settlement in this township a few years but moved to South Dakota.
Gudliff, John and George Brooker also lived in this community from about the year 1868. They have all passed away.
LUTHERAN CHURCH, JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP
From 1872 to 1875 ministers of the Lutheran denomination preached to the people of that faith in Jefferson Township,
services being held in the Gerhardt Storck Schoolhouse. After the latter year the Lutheran minister from Dexter
held regular services here, and teachers came to educate the children of the neighborhood in the doctrines of this
denomination and to prepare them to become members of the church. From 1884 to 1904 this charge was connected with
Dexter, the same pastor presiding over the two congregations. In the latter year, by mutual consent, the church
in Jefferson Township became an independent charge and called their own pastor in the person of Rev. C. Jobst,
who holds services every Sunday. There is also a parochial school in connection with the charge, classes being
conducted by the pastor four days in the week. The Lutheran congregation was organized as such in 1885, being incorporated
under the laws of Iowa. The same year a church was erected on the southeast corner of section 8, services up to
that period having been conducted in the schoolhouse one mile north of the present church building. Among the organizing
members may be mentioned George Storck, F. Hallman, L. Vaudt, C. Radke, Mrs. John Westphal, Carl Marquardt, R.
Kneuper, John Lienernann, H. E. Marquardt, Charles Wishmeyer, August Ziemann, B. P. Lienemann, F. Marquardt and
William Bernau. Rev. E. A. Brauer is the present pastor.