Madison Township was formed out of the west part of Union in 1851, and as originally made up was very nearly
the northwest quarter of the county and included the future townships of Penn, Jackson, and Douglas. It is bounded
on the north by Dallas County, on the south by Douglas, on the east by Jefferson and on the west by Penn townships.
It has many of the features of Penn Township, especially in the northern portion. It is comprised of high, rolling
prairie land and is on the divide between North Branch and Raccoon River. The southern part of the township is
crossed by North Branch, along which there was originally a heavy grove of timber.
James Brewer was probably the first settler in Madison Township, as it is said he located here in 1849. Then came
Henry Groselose, Henry Rice and a man named Hannahs, who took claims on the south side of North Branch. John Todd
settled at a point afterwards known as Worthington in the same year and shortly thereafter they were followed by
George T. Nichols and Leroy Anderson.
The time established for the coming of Derrick Bennett was early in 1852. He himself is authority for the statement
that his entry was the second in the township and that he was the first person to cultivate a patch of ground in
Jacob Bennett immigrated to Iowa in 1852 and located in this township on section 35, where he lived for many years
and became one of the most prosperous farmers in the county, owning at one time over one thousand acres of land.
He was the father of a large family. When he arrived in Madison Township Mr. Bennett's nearest neighbor lived eight
miles distant. He built the first schoolhouse in the township and gave it to the district.
Another one of the earliest citizens here was James Allen, who arrived from Indiana in 1853. For a great many years
he lived on section 20 and was the possessor of several hundred acres of land.
Michael Gabbert was a native of Tennessee. He immigrated to Iowa in 1836 and to this county in 1854. In the year
last mentioned he settled on the place later known as the Kendig farm and then removed to section 15. Mr. Gabbert
was one of the pioneer men of Iowa and was personally acquainted with the Indian chiefs, Keokuk and Black Hawk.
G. W. Lemar settled in the county in 1857. He married Mary Spray in 1860. He was successful in his undertakings,
built a beautiful home and had one of the largest orchards in the county. He was for several years justice of the
peace in this township.
William McKibben came from Delaware County, Indiana, in 1855, and for three years lived in Dallas County. In 1858
he located on section 5, Madison Township. He was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting in Company A, Thirty ninth
Andrew Oldham settled on section 35, in 1857. He was a prosperous farmer and was always looked upon as one of the
leading citizens of the community.
R. B. Powell was a settler here in 1854. He raised a large family and was a man of more than ordinary importance
to the township.
Eli Woolery entered land on section 32, in 1852, upon which he built a home and at once began cultivating the soil.
E. R. Zeller, in writing of this township in 1906, had in part the following to say: "Jacob Trester will never
be forgotten by those who for so many years traveled the Desoto Road. George, William and Eber Duff helped develop
the same neighborhood. The two latter still have their farms, while the former was last heard of in British Columbia.
G. T. Nichols improved a farm and was chiefly instrumental in building a church in a cemetery adjoining which his
remains have long since reposed. Len Williams was for many years one of the most prominent citizens of Madison
Township but recently sold the fine farm which he improved and now lives in Winterset. George Storck, his neighbor,
has made the wilderness blossom as the rose. Merrill Knight, who lived across the line in Jefferson Township, was
for three terms county treasurer. Madison Township is deservedly renowned because of Eariham, the main part of
which lies within its borders. This thriving town has all been built during the period under consideration. No.
town had been thought of there in 1856. * * * Mention must be made of the Hills and Thomsons, who were the main
forces in founding the town. There were two brothers, Mark and Jesse Hill, and again two other brothers, John and
Mark Thomson. The two sets of brothers did not always work in concert but each set of brothers always worked together.
* * * There is but one of the Thomsons and one of the Hills remaining, Mark Thomson having removed to Kansas some
years ago and Jesse Hill died this summer (1906). There were other Hills, some of whom have removed elsewhere.
Of the younger generation of Thomsons, Hugh was for two terms county clerk and is now cashier of an Earlham bank."
William Fee is credited with having settled in this township in 1853 and a year or so later J. W. and White Burnett;
John Wilson, with his sons, Abihu, Christopher and Henry. These all settled on the divide. Jacob Gabbert, Michael
Gabbert, William Coe and Benjamin Powell, with his sons, located on the divide in the eastern part of the township.
Jacob Bennett put up the first school building in the township in 1853 and Samuel Kirkland taught the first school
held there. At the present time the community is well supplied with schools and churches, for the history of which
see another chapter. However, the township has a large number of citizens belonging to the Society of Friends,
who have two large churches at Earlham. They are among the best citizens in the community and have some of the
Fairview M. E. Church is on section 13; Worthington M. E. Church on section 32, and North River U. P. Church on
At a point on the southwest quarter of section 4, from the line of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad,
a spur runs south into section 16, where is one of the largest stone quarries in the State of Iowa, now being worked
by the Iowa Portland Cement Company. This quarry is perhaps equalled only by the cement quarry at Mason City, in
extent. The rock is the Earlham formation of the upper carboniferous limestone which underlies Madison County in
four beds. It is rich in cement content and from this stratum the lime which the early settlers burned in the kilns,
before the modern methods of making cement and plaster were introduced, was made.
"That was splendid lime that was burned in the old kilns along the creeks in the early day. The plaster made
from it is on the walls of hundreds of Madison County homes. The foundations of nearly all the old houses and the
walls of the old stone buildings that stand without a crack attest its strength and quality. It was a crude method
of making lime that was used in burning these old kilns. Old man Rogers, or Caleb Clark, or some other man, would
build a kiln (a cone like structure) out of the rock, and then he and his boys would dump rock taken from this
stratum - it underlies the whole county, except the northeast portion and fill it full. The rock was fairly well
broken. At the bottom of the kiln a fireplace that would hold more than a cord stick in length was built. After
the kiln was full, the space left for fire was filled with wood and kept burning night and day for two or three
days. When the burning was finished, the whole interior displayed a mass of soft, pure, unslacked lime. The product
was sold directly from the kiln, shoveled into wagon boxes of those coming for it. A kiln was usually ruined by
one burning and another was built near it, if the season happened to be good, while the contents of the first kiln
were being sold. The ruins of these old kilns can be seen in all the ravines south of Winterset that had roads
down them in the early days.
"There are four beds of limestone belonging to the upper carboniferous limestone in Madison County. The state
geologist has given them the names of Fuselina, Winterset, Earlham and Fragmental. The formation entire is about
two hundred feet deep and from tests which the cement company has made the Earlham formation proves the richest
in lime and the best suited for making Portland cement. In section 18 is a stone quarry opened in 1869 by J. E.
Parkins, at one time a resident of Winterset. He bought the property of Milton Wilson and competent judges in Chicago
and New York pronounced the stone inferior to none in the West for building purposes. When first taken from its
bed it is extremely soft and almost as easily worked as chalk. Exposure to the air, however, renders it as hard
as granite. Parkins put a force of about thirty men to work quarrying the rock and dressing it on the ground ready
for shipment. He also erected a patent lime kiln near the quarry which had a capacity of turning off a carload
of lime daily. A spur of the Rock Island Railroad runs from Earlham to the quarry. It was in more recent years
that the Portland Cement Company opened its quarry on section 16.
"When the company located, it chose the North Branch exposure as best suited for its quarries and purchased
a large body of land along the north side. Doubtless, railroad facilities and the shorter distance were large factors
in determining the location. The North Branch quarry in itself is an immense affair. It has been in operation but
a few years. It lies on the north side of North Branch and follows the curvature of one of its numerous small tributaries.
Already almost a mountain of dirt has been removed, to get to the stone, which the company loads on cars and ships
to Des Moines. A branch line from the main line of the Rock Island at Earlham, runs down to the quarry and directly
into it alongside the rock face. A large force of men are constantly employed in handling the rock alone. That
is to say, the men who do nothing but drill, blast and load the rock. The job of stripping the rock is let by the
cement company to contractors and excavation companies which employ at least forty or fifty more men in handling
Madison County's first town to secure a railroad was Earlham, a thriving and beautiful little trading point,
which was laid out on the south fractional half of the northwest quarter of section 6, in Madison Township, by
Benjamin F. Allen, May 4, 1869. The surveying of the land was the work of an engineer in the employ of the Chicago,
Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company. The land originally the site of Earlham was entered by Seth Wilson,
Sr., and conveyed by him to David Hocket. In the fall of 1869 Benjamin F. Allen, of Des Moines, bought the property
of Rocket, paying $20 an acre for it, and it was known at the time, by certain persons, that Allen intended laying
out a town site on his purchase. Before the survey was made, two or three houses already stood on the town site
and as soon as the lots were ready for sale several buyers were on hand, whose intentions were to commence at once
to prepare for the erection of buildings, preliminary to engaging in mercantile pursuits in the new town. Martin
Cook had a building one half mile west of the place, which he at once removed to Earlham, and Dr. M. R. Lyon erected
a building for the installation of a stock of drugs and also for residential purposes. Both pioneer builders and
merchants later were compelled to move their houses, as it developed that Martin's building had been placed on
the line separating two lots and the Lyon drug store stood in the middle of the street.
Earlham now lies in two townships, Madison and Penn, but chiefly in the former. It is peculiarly fortunate in its
location for the country surrounding it can well bear comparison with any other section of Iowa, or with any country
in the universe, for richness and variety of soil and its adaptability to easy cultivation; for the purity of the
water and invigorating, life preserving qualities of the air; for its beauties of landscape and the general prosperity
and evidences of wealth, apparent to the naked eye on every hand.
The name assigned to Earlham was chosen by Milton Wilson. The idea of establishing a "Quaker" college
here was early manifested by certain of the early settlers of that religious persuasion and there being a "Friends"
college at Earlham, Indiana, Mr. Wilson suggested that the name be given to this place, at the same time expressing
the ardent hope of himself and others that as a college town it one day would be heard from in no uncertain tones.
The name Earlham was adopted and within a few months a stock company was organized for the purpose of establishing
a college and $5,000 of the stock was subscribed by leading men of the county. An interesting account of the enterprise
is given elsewhere in this work. As soon as the survey was completed, lots were offered at prices ranging from
$25 to $125. Martin Cook bought the first one sold and, before the expiration of two weeks thereafter, at least
more than half the lots were disposed of to purchasers, most of whom were men who had made up their minds to build
and become residents of the place. In the autumn of 1869 the railroad company had constructed a side track, a section
house and water tank and before the close of the year the firm of Getchel & Tichenor, of Des Moines, established
a lumberyards; the lumber concern of Thompson & Maddern, of Davenport, soon followed, and both these yards
furnished material for building. "Notwithstanding the season and weather were the worst possible for such
operations, business houses and dwellings began to go upwith a rapidity and steadiness that demonstrated at once
the determination of the new settlers to build up a town. The result was that scarcely five months after the first
stake was planted in the frozen earth, Earlham contained at least thirty five buildings, many of which are first
class for a country village."
Seth Wilson erected the first building in Earlham for entertainment of the traveling public, in 1869, and it long
was known as the Eariham House.
Martin Cook was the first general merchant and Dr. M. R. Lyon had the first drug store. Mr. Cook was appointed
and served as the first station agent in 1869.
The first business man of Earlham was a Quaker - Martin Cook of Quaker Divide, When grading began on the Chicago,
Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, he and John R. Cook, also a Quaker from the same locality, put up a building
at the east end of the "dump," not far from where the tenement house at Clarence Wilson now stands. This
small building, which they called the "shebang," was stocked with supplies, which they sold to the railroad
grading gangs. When Earlham was located in the fall of 1868, Martin Cook moved the "shebang," with its
stock into the new town, locating near where John Bechtel's restaurant now stands. Martin was appointed first postmaster,
with the office in this building. He was also the first station agent. He soon sold his farm and built a house
in Earlham. About 1871 or 1872 he became a homesteader in Lyon County, Iowa.
Joseph Cook erected a building Ain 1969 and installed a stock of farm implements and similar articles. He also
engaged in the commission business. Before the close of the year he had a competitor, in the firm of Cammack &
In the fall of 1869 the firm of Barnett & Hawkins was "already occupying their large storeroom (sixty
feet deep) and have filled it with a splendid assortment of general merchandise."
"A. & T. E. Barnett have a number one grocery establishment. They are live, energetic young men and they
are doing a good business. But we cannot specify even a tenth of the different firms and enterprises in this flourishing
young city. The depot will be commenced immediately and rapidly pushed to a completion. According to the most reliable
authority Earlham is to be the permanent division station of the railroad, an honor that De Soto now enjoys temporarily."
All this happened to Earlham in the year of its founding. The quotations are from J. J. Davies' excellent little
history of the county, published in 1869.
On the 3oth day of March, 1870, hardly a year after the town was laid out, a petition was filed in the District
Court, asking for the incorporation of Eariham as a town. The petition, the prayer of which was granted, was signed
by the following citizens: Ezra Cook, Andrew Noble, W. F. Dillon, John Hinshaw, E. N. Beeher, Mason R. Lyon, C.
I. Swartfager, J. S. Rodecker, Daniel Madden, John R. Thomson, F. S. Cottle, Martin Cook, David Stanton, William
R. Hill, John R. Cook, William Stevens, J. P. Asborn, George L. Wheeler, Jno. W. Reagan, Abijah Johnson, John Hawkins,
M. D. Hill, Alfred McKinney, Henderson McKinney, Eli H. McKinney, J. Hinshaw, Thomas Phewton, A. H. Gibson, Henry
Cammack, Israel Compton, J. W. Kenworthy, Joseph Cook, Aaron McKinney, T. E. Barnett, V. Hawkins, Dayton Barnett,
Asa Barnett, J. O. Griffith, Seth Wilson, J. Bullock and G. W. Hackthorn.
On the 26th day of April, 1870, an election was held at the office of David Stanton, on the question of incorporation,
which resulted favorably. The judges were: David Stanton, Thomas P. Newton, and J. Hinshaw; clerks, Abijah Johnson
and William R. Hill. At this time Earlham had 210 inhabitants and was steadily growing, both in population and
business enterprises. Probably no inland town in the state, depending for support on the farming communities surrounding
it, improved so rapidly, as to seek incorporation within a year after its birth. Churches, a schoolhouse, depot
building, elevator, hotel and many business enterprises were in operation. For some years thereafter Earlham handled
more stock than any other town in the county. The Presbyterian Church was built in 1870, also that of the Conservative
Friends. The Methodist Church soon followed. A bank was established and with its main line of the Rock Island Railroad,
Earlham had many advantages over other towns in the county; not only from the fact that its railroad was a trunk
line, but also owing to its being the only railroad having a station in the county.
The postoffice was established in January (see chapter on postoffice), 1869, and Martin Cook, the pioneer settler
and merchant of the town, was commissioned postmaster. In a short time a volunteer fire company was organized and
a small frame building for the apparatus erected, which also has been the town hall.
WATER WORKS AND ELECTRIC LIGHT SYSTEMS
A special election was held at Earlham on the 29th of June, 1908, at which the question of issuing bonds, not
to exceeds $10,000 in amount, for the building of a water works and electric light system was voted upon. This
election did not meet the requirements of the law, as the amount of bonds in question exceeded the prescribed limit
of one and one fourth per cent of the actual value of taxable property within the corporate limits of the town.
Citizens - to the number of 111 - then petitioned council to call an election to test the views of the electorate
on the question of issuing in excess of the legal limit, not to exceed 5 per cent. Thereupon, a special election
was held on the 10th day of February, 1909, for the issuance of bonds not to exceed the sum of $10,000; and a further
sum of $7,000 in bonds, for the erection and maintenance of a water works and electric light system. Both males
and females voted, the total number of ballots on the water works proposition being 136. Of this number 102 males
and 8 females voted yes; 25 males and 1 female voted no. For electric lights there were 118 votes cast for the
improvement and 20 votes against it.
Bids were immediately advertised for the modern municipal improvements of water works and electric lights and
Joseph C. Bortenlanger, of Omaha, was awarded the contract, his bid being $16,694. The bonds were sold to Wells,
Dickey S Company, of Minneapolis, at 5 per cent. A one story brick building was erected for the power house for
both plants, in which were installed boilers, pumps, dynamos and all necessary modern equipment for the improvement.
A splendid supply of water was obtained from deep wells and on April 12, 1910, the plant was tested and accepted.
Today Earlham is well lighted, having recently set up a number of five globe electroliers in the business center,
and the people enjoy an abundance of pure, limpid water, both for domestic and public use.
One of Earlham's beauty spots is a tract of land, consisting of one whole block, practically in the heart of
the corporation. This is the city park, which has a velvety carpet of grass and is shaded by a variety of ornamental
trees. The land was bought for park purposes some twenty years ago and the people have but recently awakened to
the realization that this piece of land is one of the town's richest and choicest assets; it is a breathing spot
and pleasure ground, that will grow in value and become more and more appreciated as the years go by and Earlham
develops into a city of greater proportions.
E. R. Zeller, a competent and masterful educator for many years, served efficiently and very satisfactorily
as county superintendent of schools and became thoroughly conversant with all that pertained to the educational
institutions of the county. In the chapter devoted to the schools, in this volume, speaking of the Earlham schools
he says: "Earlhani district has been in existence all of forty years, and the Earlham schools, after coming
under the supervision of W. H. Monroe and combined with the academy, have had a reputation that has extended over
all the state."
The Earlhani schools are enjoying, along with the town, an unusual measure of success. From 190o to 1903 the enrollment
very nearly doubled in numbers. It has grown to a twelve grade institution, with a splendidly equipped corps of
teachers and two substantial brick and stone buildings
In 1901, the school having outgrown its one building, the district purchased the Earlhani Academy and thus made
it practically the high school for the town. The academy was erected in 1891, at a cost of nearly twelve thousand
dollars, and is a fine modern structure in every respect, heated by steam and nicely finished inside. The founders
of the academy established it as a private or church school and maintained it as such until the rapidly expanding
public school demanded more room, when it was thought best by all parties to combine the two schools and thus unite
the school interests of the town. It now appears that it was a very wise move, as the schools have experienced
an unprecedented growth. When the academy was united with the public school system it was arranged to retain as
far as possible the identity of the academy and it is so maintained. In addition to the regular courses, there
are maintained special courses in business and music, special teachers being provided for the same. Also attention
is given to the preparation of teachers for the country schools, the work, with this object in view, being confined
largely to the teachers' special and review classes.
The principal of the school is a believer in the potency of music and claims that music may be used as a successful
leaven to the school work. Hence, generous attention is given to music and a very large music department is maintained
in the academy. Two teachers have charge of such work and lessons on piano, organ, violin and orchestra instruments
are given all who apply at a very reasonable tuition.
The academy is supplied with musical instruments and the music department is maintained without expense to the
district. The music department is of additional advantage to the academy inasmuch as it attracts to the school
many young people who like music.
A commercial department is maintained and an able instructor employed to conduct the work. A course requiring at
least nine months' work is offered. Practical studies are given, such as bookkeeping, commercial law, commercial
arithmetic, correspondence, etc.
While the academy, or high school, by virtue of its position claims a large part of the attention, yet the grade
work is not to be overlooked. The grades are in charge of competent teachers and are doing good work. They occupy
a substantial brick and stone building near the center of the town. When pupils complete the work of the grades
they are given a certificate of promotion to the academy or high school and are transferred to that building.
The credit for the successful outcome of the Earlham schools is due also very largely to those people who established
the Earldom Academy for had there been no private academy in past years there would be no public academy today.
Hence no man or set of men can justly claim all the credit for the present condition of the schools.
One of the strong and substantial financial institutions of the county is the Citizens Bank, organized in 1878,
as the Citizens State Bank, by Mark D. Hill and Charles Thomas, as a private concern. The bank commenced business
in a one story frame building that stood on the site of the present postoffice. On July 1, 1901, the Citizens Bank
was organized under the laws of the State of Iowa, by Mark D. Hill, C. B. Johnson, Luther Hill, J. A. McKinney
and A. M. Williams. It was capitalized at $25,000. The officers elected were: Mark D. Hill, president; J. A. McKinney,
vice president; C. B. Johnson, cashier. In 1905 Harry W. Hill succeeded C. B. Johnson in the office of cashier
and in 1908 J. R. Mendenhall became vice president. The place of business has been for the past several years in
the Fred Bilderback brick building, on the corner of Main and Chestnut streets. Capital, $25,000; surplus and undivided
profits, $12,000; deposits, $284,000.
The Bank of Earlham was organized in 1901, by H. E. Teachout, A Nelson, A. C. Miller, F. A. Baylies, H. M. Whinery,
H. S. Thomson. The officials were: H. E. Teachout, president; A. C. Miller, vice president; H. M. Whinery, cashier;
H. S. Thomson, assistant cashier. January 1, 1909, the bank was reorganized by H. S. Thomson, and its present officials
are: President, Thomas Early; vice president, F. Bilderback; cashier, H. S. Thomson. Responsibilities, $500,000.
Elsewhere in this volume is given a chapter on the church societies of the county, the subject there being treated
in a general way. The great desire of the editor of this work has been to gather and publish all the essential
details of each and every church in the county, but in this design he has been handicapped and prevented through
several causes, among them being the loss of records and failure on the part of pastors and others to furnish material
as promised. So that, when a certain church is not specially mentioned, the readers can attribute the omission
to some cause difficult to overcome. The old established churches of Earlham already have been alluded to, but
recently, a new religious body has come into existence, the details of which follow. The Church of Christ' was
organized in the early part of 1912 and on the 4th day of June in that year was incorporated, the articles being
signed by the charter members, namely: I. D. Neff, C. C. Couch, Viola M. Schlarb, Lester Neff, Sarah Nunnamacker,
John Drake, Frank J. Prohaska, John E. Bechtel, E. H. Payne, Mrs. E. H. Payne, Mrs. S. C. Moreland, Roxie Wicks,
Mrs. Earl Hays, Erl Hays, Mrs. John Neff, Mrs. John E. Bechtel, Mrs. W. H. Dudley, Charles W. Henry, Frank Mleynek,
Mary Mieynek, Mrs. John Drake, John G. Neff, Lois Neff, S. I. Nunnamacker, Mrs. George Francis, N. I. Neff, Vada
C. Rhode, Mrs. M. A. England, Mrs. Hannah Wagner, Paul N. Payne, Sarah Hillan, Ida E. Wagner, Blanch Mleynek, Inez
Payne, S. M. Drake, H. R. Neff, Mabel Mleynek, Mrs. L. J. Rhode, Mrs. M. C. Hillan, Mrs. Laura E. Williams, Minnie
Wagner, Dolores Dudley, Velma Dudley, J. E. England, Byron Payne, Truman Payne, Leah Stanley, Emma Wagner, Mrs.
W. A. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Chester, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Price, Hallie Rhode, Mrs. Fannie Anderson.
On July 21, the matter of a permanent home was discussed. E. H. Payne, S. C. Moreland and C. C. Couch were appointed
a building committee and later lots were purchased of R. Hayden on the east side of North Chestnut Street, upon
which a handsome church edifice was erected, at a cost of $8,000. The house of worship was dedicated September
27, 1914, by Rev. A. M. Haggard, of Des Moines. Prior to this meetings were held in the academy. The first pastor
to preach to this congregation was Rev. J. A. Hutchings and the present membership totals seventy. A Ladies' Aid
Society and Christian Endeavor are strong auxiliary formations of the new church.
Madison Lodge, No. 568, A. F. & A. M., was organized April to, 1900, as a reorganization of St. Albans Lodge,
No. 363, the charter of which had been permitted to lapse. The charter officials were: John R. Thomson, W. M.;
Ed A. Packard, S. W.; C. A. Hudson, J. W. Other first members were: William Dunlap, J. F. Fritz, J. R. Mendenhall,
Peter McQuie, J. P. Osborne, N. A. Packard, Fred Wilke, A. B. Johnson.
Earlham Chapter, No. 294, Order Eastern Star, was organized October 24, 1900, by Mrs. Emma Fox, Mrs. Louise Hatfield,
Mrs. Ella Carroll, Miss Dayse Catterlin, Miss Edna Klingensmiller, Mrs. May Monroe, Mrs. Mary Maulsby, Miss Ismay
Packard, Miss Enia Thomson, Mrs. Elizabeth Thomson, Mrs. Augusta Wilke, William Best, George Fox, W. A. Monroe,
U. E. Maulsby and Fred Wilke.
Earlham Lodge, No. 546, I. O. O. F., was organized April 21, 1892, with the following charter members J. H. Maxwell,
N. G.; Fred Bilderback, V. G.; J. A. Griswold, Sec.; E. S. Fry, P. G.; N. Bilderback, R. S. Males, E. B. Griswold,
James McDonald, E. S. Fox, Jr., D. L. Gabbart, J. P. Osborne.
Marguerite Lodge of Rebekahs, No. 233, was organized October 18, 1895, by Josiah H. Maxwell, Louisa K. Maxwell,
Seth H. and Maggie W. Clay, E. S. and Mollie J. Fry, C. M. and Agnes P. Crosswait, N. and Fannie Bilderback, Jennings
P. and Maggie Osborne, James W. Fry, Jr., and Sarah E. Fry; R. S. and Ella T. Males, George and Eva B. Fry.
Earlham Camp, No. 2162, M. W. A., was organized August 25, 1895, with twenty one members.
Royal Neighbors Camp, No. 2439, was organized March 22, 1901, with twenty members.