LIBERTY is located in the southwestern portion of the county, and comprises congressional township ninety one,
range forty seven west. It was at one time included in Lincoln, but after many changes in the subdivision of the
county was finally, by an act of the board of county supervisors, June 2, 1879, created a separate civil township.
It is south of Johnson, west of Plymouth, north of Perry and east of Sioux township. It is a beautiful tract of
rolling prairie land, unsurpassed for richness and value for agricultural purposes. Perry creek is the only stream
of any note, and courses its way through the eastern part of the territory. The population in 1885, according to
the state census report, was 441, of which 320 were American born.
Early Settlement - The first person to settle in what now comprises Liberty township was Charles Beuttner, who
located on the east half of the southwest quarter of section fourteen about the year 1868.
Robert Crouch, who moved to this township in 1881, first settled in Perry township in 1871, and when he came to
this section of country he says the principal settlers in Liberty were the following: Charles Beuttner, George
Veidt, Pat Gorman, D. Eberhard, Cris Banerly, L. J. Hume, H. J. Callaghan, S. W. Garner, D. W. McAllister, T. Hansel,
J. F. Groshong, H. C. Baker, and some half dozen more whose names have now been forgotten.
During the years 1871, 1872 and 1873 came in A. W. Crouch, W. W. Waddle, H. Bock, M. A. Moore, D. M. Woodman, L.
Other quite early settlers, some of whose personal sketches will be found elsewhere in this book, were: Thomas
Clary, on section twenty three; John McAllister, William McAllister, Cyrus Washburn, William Ahern, Alvah Schedd,
now of Akron, Iowa; John Willis, a homesteader, now a resident of Omaha; "Coon" Popps, a homesteader
in the north part of the township, but who afterward removed to Dakota; W. S. Cassady, and a homesteader known
as "Scoot," on section thirty four, who finally sold his land to M. F. Crouch.
Early Events. - The first birth in Liberty township was quite likely that of Jennie Callaghan, born in February,
1871; however, there may have been earlier ones in the northeast portion of the township. The first death from
natural cause was that of the mother of S. W. Garner, who died in the winter of 1872-73.
After the great blizzard of January 27, 1871, two men, father and son, named Jordan, were found frozen to death
on section thirty three. Their home was on section thirty, township ninety two, range forty six. In February, 1871,
the father of L. J. Hume, who lived with his son on section thirty four, was frozen to death in a terrific storm.
The first marriage now recalled was that of George Haggle and Rosa Woodman in 1873. The first school was taught
in a shanty built by the settlers in the fall of 1870. The first township election was held in the fall of 1879,
at the McAllister school house. Owen Garvey was elected clerk; John McAllister, justice of the peace; Tim. Donovan,
Patrick Gorman and C. Banerly, trustees.
Schools, Etc. - This township is fully up to the high grade standard of the Plymouth public school system. As previously
stated, the pioneer school was held in a shanty built by subscription in 1870. The teacher was S. W. Garner. A
school building was erected in 1872 by Thomas Clary.
At the present date the township is divided into five sub-districts, each being provided with an ample school building.
There are 185 pupils within the limits of the township. Thirty eight shade trees adorn the school yards.