STANTON was at one time included in America township, but by an act of the board of county supervisors, dated
June 3, 1871, it became a separate civil organization. It comprises congressional township ninety one, range forty
five west. It is situated in the third tier of townships from the eastern line of the county and the second from
the southern line. Its chief streams are the Little Whiskey creek and Plymouth creek, each of which have many small
feeders, in the way of prairie "runs." It is a beautiful and extremely productive belt of land, which
yields forth an abundance of every species of grain, grass and vegetable common to northern Iowa latitude.
Plymouth City, the oldest town site in the county, was platted, at an early day [see "Recorded Plats"],
on section six of this township. No improvement was ever made, as later, the county seat went to Le Mars.
According to the state census report of 1885, this township had a total population of 675; at present it is estimated
at 1,000, which would make it the most densely populated of any township in Plymouth county, excluding the city
of Le Mars and perhaps two other towns.
First Settlement - Carlos and Frank Little, who came from New Hampshire in the summer of 1869, and took homesteads
on section fourteen, were the first to effect a settlement in Stanton township. They removed to Oregon in 1881.
In the same year (1869) the settlement of homesteaders was increased by the advent of "Doc" Folsom, who
arrived from Boston, and also claimed a part of section fourteen. He improved his land, remained a few years, and
then returned to Boston.
Samuel Ambrose also homesteaded a part of section fourteen, where he still lives - a well to do farmer. He came
from New Hampshire. Emerson Bixby, a homesteader of section twelve, and still a resident of the township, came
in 1869. Joseph Skelton, of Chickasaw county, Iowa, located on section twelve and now lives on section eleven.
In 1870 Thomas Stokes and family came from Jackson county, Iowa, and claimed an eighty acre homestead on section
fourteen, where they still reside. Mr. Stokes, also purchased railroad land, and now owns a large farm composed
of most excellent soil. Patrick Welch came to the country with Mr. Stokes and homesteaded a part of section fourteen,
but finally moved away. George Asbury and his brother William came the same time the Little family did. The Asburys
came from Philadelphia, Penn., and took land on section twenty two. They finally sold out and moved to Oregon.
One of the brothers went to Arizona territory, and from there back to his home in the east, where he committed
D. O. Marchant came to the township in 1870, and claimed a portion of section ten, where he still lives, a prosperous
and progressive farmer. He came from Illinois. The same year came C. E. Ireland and homesteaded on section twenty
four. Pat. Keenan came in 1871-72, settling on section thirteen. He purchased railroad lands. From this date on,
settlement was made very rapidly, and we refer the reader to the personal sketches of this work for further particulars
First Events. - The first actual settlers in Stanton township wee Carlos and Frank Little, in 1869. The first
birth in the township was probably that of the child of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Ireland. The first death was the infant
above mentioned. It died in 1870, shortly after its birth. The first marriage was that of John Finley to Miss Lizzie
Asbury, the ceremony being performed by Justice of the Peace Thomas Stokes, in 1872. The first term of school in
the township was taught at the house of Carlos Little in 1870. The first school building was erected the same year,
1870, on section twenty three, and the first term of school in it was taught by William Asbury.
Neptune Postoffice. - This office was established early in the eighties, and was kept at the farm house of whomsoever
was appointed postmaster. At the time of its being established, Mr. Seaman was appointed postmaster. It has gone
from one to another, until finally, in 1882 or 1883, a small cross roads hamlet sprung up on the south line of
section twenty six, at a point known as "Happy Corners," and the postoffice since then, has been kept
at a general store at that point. The store and postoffice are now conducted by Charles Reifstack. There is also
a blacksmith and wagon shop there.
Schools and Churches. - At the present date, Stanton township has seven sub school districts, each of which is
provided with a good frame building. The average attendance of pupils, for the year ending October, 1889, was 238.
The public schools have always been well supported, and the general effect is to be seen today in a highly intelligent
and well educated class of young men and women.
The Evangelical church of Stanton township was formed in 1874, by a class belonging to the Floyd Valley church,
organized by the conference at Ackley, Iowa, in 1870. This first class in the township was known as "Stanton
mission." It numbered among its members the following persons: John Dobbert, G. Brandsetter, A. Huebsch, John
Below, George Schmidt. The names and order of pastors in charge are: Rev. Ernst Nolte, 1874; Rev. Gottlieb Heimniller,
1874 to 1876; Rev. Val. Griese, 1877 to 1880; Rev. John Zellhoeper, 1881; Rev. F. Loehle, 1882 to 1883; Rev. M.
Eller, 1884 to 1885; Rev. S. Stabler, 1886 to 1888, and Rev. C. T. Mueller, the present pastor. A frame church
edifice was built and dedicated in 1874, the dedicatory service being held June 14. The size of this church is
twenty four by forty feet, with a tower eight by eight feet and fifty feet high. The building cost $1,600. In 1886
a wing was added, twenty four by twenty six feet, costing $1,600, and now the church has a seating capacity of
300 persons. In 1883 a parsonage was erected at a cost of $700; it is sixteen by twenty four feet, with an addition
fourteen by sixteen feet. The church property is situated on section twenty. The present membership of the society
is 120. The present officers are: Trustees, Jacob Brandstetter, M. Huebsch; treasurer, John Schuman; secretary,
A. tithe; president, Will Dobbert; class leaders, A. Huebscb, A. tithe, W. Dobbert. The Sabbath school now numbers
160; Will Dobbert is superintendent.
Near the church building is a church cemetery of two acres. The society is now in a flourishing condition and doing
much good in the community.