CEDAR TOWNSHIP AND LYTTON.
By C. Everett Lytton.
This township is situated on the east line of the county and on the second tier of townships from the north
and is one of the best portions of the county.
The first settlement made in the township was about the year 1859, when a party, not known to the writer, settled
on the southeast quarter of section 20 and built a cabin, broke out a few acres of sod and afterwards abandoned
the place as no good and in 1862, when the writer came to the county, the house had been about all carried away
by settlers and the land had grown up to weeds. The next settlement was in 1866, when J. O. Tuffs and the writer
moved onto section 16 and built a log cabin on the south side of the little grove that stood on the Cedar in the
northeast corner of the section. After living there one winter and deciding that the bleak prairie was not the
spot most desirable, the place was abandoned, thus leaving the township uninhabited again. In the fall of 1868
Oscar Whitney, an early resident of Sac City and one of the pioneer stage drivers,
moved onto the west half of the southeast quarter of section 30 and became the first permanent white settler of
the township. During the next year or two Henry Jones settled on the north half of section 31, across the road
from the Whitney home. Soon after this settlers commenced to flock to this part of Iowa and in a short time the
Blanks, Stadlmans, Arndts, Herrolds, and Youngs and others took up land and soon settlers could be seen on nearly
every section in the township.
Cedar township bears the distinction of being the scene of the last battle between the Sioux and Sac and Fox Indians.
The fight commenced near where the Cedar empties into the Coon and continued up the stream, the Sioux steadily
retreating until they got near where R. M. Long and Joseph Young now reside. when they "took to the woods"
and left the Sac and Fox the victors. This was the last time these tribes ever joined issues. The township also
bears the distinction of having the first white man murder ever committed in the county. During the fall of 1838
a man who had been murdered was found on what is now the R. M. Long farm on the west side of the Cedar. and the
body left for the wolves and coyotes to devour. The parties finding the body buried it where found and a few days
afterwards parties going past the place found the body had been dug up, the teeth all knocked out, the face disfigured
and again left for the wild beasts to destroy all clues to the murder. It was never known who the victim was nor
who committed the deed.
In an early day a town named New Munich was laid out on the west line of the township, on the southwest quarter
of the southwest quarter of section 19, but as no houses were ever built in the town, the site was turned back
to farm land.
Lytton. a hustling little town of about two hundred and fifty inhabitants. electrically lighted, is the only town
in the township. When the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad built their Storm Lake line from Rockwell
City, the road passed through the township from east to west on the center of the third tier of sections from the
south. The town was platted on the P. B. Trulnbauer farm on section 24 and has been a thriving little berg since
first started. Gust Holm, F. H. Hollway and James Webb were the first men to enter business in the town. The business
of the town is now composed of a bank, with twenty five thousand dollars capital, three general stores, two hardware
stores, drug store, furniture store, meat market, two lumber yards, two grain elevators, two agricultural machinery
dealers, printing office, two restaurants, hotel, barber shop, pool hall, creamery, blacksmith shop, moving picture
show. The Presbyterians have a church building and manse and the Odd Fellows are represented by a subordinate and
The town was incorporated in 1911 with the following officers: G. B. Willhoite, mayor; C. Everett Lee, clerk; T.
E. Corry, treasurer; C. S. Ferguson, assessor; F. A. Ayers, Thomas Schmidt, David Wickersham, F. E. Pratt and Frank
Brobeil. councilmen. Charles Nuehring was appointed first marshal. The present officers are: G. E. Larirner, mayor;
C. S. Ferguson. clerk; C. F. Brobeil, G. B. Willhoite, David Wickersham, Gust Holm and H. H. Oestrich, councilmen;
T. E. Corry, treasurer; Frank Brobeil, assessor; A. M. Buth, clerk.
The township is settled by a very thrifty class of German and Yankee farmers and farm lands have already reached
the one hundred and fifty dollars per acre mark and are destined to go still higher.
It may be stated in addition to what has been said by Mr. Lee concerning this township, that the territory hereabouts
has been wonderfully improved by the thrifty farmers who came in in later years from Illinois, who have really
reclaimed the township, which was none of the best till a few years ago, when this class of new men insisted upon
better roads and looked well to the draining and tiling of the flat land. With such improvements, the township
has come to be one of the finest, richest agricultural sections in all the county.
In 1910 the census reports gave this township eight hundred and seventeen population.