History of Clinton Township, Sac County, IA
From: History of Sac County, Iowa
By: William H. Hart
B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914

CLINTON TOWNSHIP.

Clinton township comprises all of congressional township 87, range 37 west, and is bounded on the north by Boyer Valley, on the east by Wall Lake, on the south by Levey and on the west by Richland township. It was organized in 1874, and in 1880 had a population of five hundred and twenty two. Its population, as given by the federal census of 1910, was five hundred and one. It was at one date inclusive of the territory now embraced in Richland township. It is a beautiful and fertile section of the county. It is in the far famed Boyer Valley section. This stream courses down from the north, entering the township in section 4 and runs a little east of south, leaving the township from section 33 over into Levey township and finally finds its way into the Missouri river just north of Council Bluffs.

This township takes its name from Clinton county, Iowa, where so many of the early settlers in this portion of Sac county emigrated from. When the petition was up before the supervisors to have Clinton created as a separate township, the county auditor suggested that the oldest man of the township name the same, and hence it was that Marshall D. Fox, one of the petitioners, named it Clinton. It then included Richland and was six by twelve miles in extent of territory. The first election was held in the Petersmeyer school house, and M. D. Fox was elected first trustee, and N. B. Umbarger the first assessor in Clinton.

The third residence in this township was erected by M. D. Fox, in the spring of 1874, Mr. Martin having erected the second house, and the first was built by Jacob Brown in the autumn of 1873. Other early settlers were Charles and George Martin, Oscar and John Draper, Charles Sherwood and Archibald Rays.

In this township was one of the best flouring mills in the county. It was the property of Henry Reinhart. and was burned in May, 1884, causing a loss of ten thousand dollars, on which there was an insurance of four thousand five hundred dollars collected. The newspaper account of the fire reads as follows: "Henry Reinhart's flouring mill in Clinton township was totally destroyed by fire Saturday night. A fire was discovered in the roof, which probably caught from the smoke stack. It was promptly extinguished and a watch set for the night, and it was supposed all was safe. But at one o'clock A. M. Mr. Reinhart awoke to find the building again in flames, too far gone to save anything. Total loss was ten thousand dollars, covered by four thousand five hundred dollars insurance. Unles we get a railroad here in the county the mill will not be rebuilt, although the people at Odebolt are trying to get Mr. Reinhart to build a flouring mill at their town."


Return to [ Sac County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy