History of Cook Township, Sac County, IA
From: History of Sac County, Iowa
By: William H. Hart
B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
Cook township is on the western border of Sac county and is the second from the north line, with Eureka
and Eden at its north, Boyer Valley at its east,
Richland township to the south and Ida county at the west. It comprises all of congressional
township 88, range 38 west, and its north line is the "correction line" of the northern portion of Iowa.
Here the jog in township surveys varies three miles, the townships to the north of this lapping by to the west
that distance. This civil township was once included within Boyer Valley township, but in 1876 was created into
a separate township. In 1880 the census showed the population to be about four hundred, while it is given as six
hundred thirty five by the 1910 United States reports on enumeration. The first settlers were, inclusive of William
Cory, 1868, J. E. Sanborn, Joseph Dick, Charles Prentice, for whom Prentice schoolhouse was named, and it was the
first in the township, erected in 1872. Other settlers in Cook and Boyer Valley, some one side the line and some
the other, were Elias Powers, Dr. Warren, H. A. Wilson, Hiram Sweet, J. Shelmerdine and a Mr. Hays.
THE COOK RANCH.
The Inter-Ocean of Chicago, in its issue of April 16, 1873, has this concerning the opening up of the great
Cook ranch in Sac county: "A large sale of Iowa land was consummated yesterday, by which a Chicago resident.
Mr. C. W. Cook, became the sole owner of twelve sections of farming lands in Sac county, Iowa. The purchaser proposes
to convert the entire property into a mammoth stock farm. This tract embraces seven thousand six hundred and eighty
acres and the amount paid was five dollars an acre, making a total of thirty eight thousand four hundred dollars.
The sale was made by J. B. Calhoun, land commissioner of the Iowa Railway Land Company." This land, we believe,
all lies in West Boyer township. "This makes two seven thousand acre farms in Sac county. Better this size
than none at all. We welcome Mr. Cook, and hope he will make a good farmer and get rich." - Sac Sun, 1873.
Return to [ Sac County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]