COON VALLEY TOWNSHIP.
Coon Valley township was organized in 1877, and in 1880 reported a population to the federal census enumerator
of four hundred and nine. Its population in 1910, as shown by the United States census reports, was seven hundred
and twenty three. It. derives its name from the fact that the coon river flows through its territory. Nearly all
of the lesser streams of the township flow into the Coon and later find their way into the Des Moines.
This township is on the eastern line of Sac county, with Calhoun county for its eastern boundary line, Cedar
township, this county, on the north, Wall Lake township on the west and Sac
township on the south. Some timber skirts the banks of the streams, especially the Coon river. It is now all well
improved and its people happy and, generally speaking, very thrifty and prosperous. Its excellent schools are named
in the Educational chapter in this volume. There are no towns or hamlets within Coon Valley township. The land
owners and settlers of today trade at Lake City, Sac City, Lake View or Auburn, usually. Sac City being the nearest,
and it being the seat of justice, farmers naturally go to that point for most of their supplies, as well as banking.
In 1882 a cream station was established at the place known as Pettis, and, from paper files, it appears that six
miles southeast of Sac City, where Pettis was located, a creamery was burned in December, 1901, causing a loss
of two thousand five hundred dollars. It was owned by W. H. Pettis, who had an insurance on the plant amounting
to one thousand five hundred dollars. The cause was a defective flue. The plant was never rebuilt.
This. township is an exceptionally well watered and naturally drained portion of the county. Its farmers are not
afflicted with the go to town habit, but remain at home largely, and the result is that the township has many fine
farm homes, with general prosperity around them, perhaps more so than as though the township had a large number
of towns and hamlets within its borders.