The civil township is to the county what the county is to the state. Each township has a government peculiar
to itself, though in perfect harmony with its sister sub divisions in the same county. Here in Sac county, fortunately,
these civil townships are all the same in size, an even six miles each way, or a full congressional township. As
now constituted and named they are as follows: Boyer Valley, Cook, Cedar, Coon Valley, Clinton, Douglas, Delaware,
Eden, Eureka, Jackson, Levy, Richland, Sac, Wheeler, Wall Lake and Viola.
These townships have been constituted or organized at different dates within keeping of the advancing settlement
of the county. The following is the order, according to dates when these various subdivisions of Sac county were
made separate townships for governmental purposes: Sac and Jackson, 1856; Douglas, 1860; Boyer Valley, 1871; Wall
Lake, 1871; Eden, 1871; Clinton, 1874; Cedar, 1873; Delaware, 1875; Eureka, 1875; Viola, 1875; Wheeler, 1875; Richland;
1876; Coon Valley, 1877.
Douglas township was taken from Jackson; Boyer Valley and Cedar taken from Jackson and Sac; Cook taken from Boyer
Valley; Eden and Delawere taken from Douglas; Levey and Viola taken from Sac; Wall Lake and Clinton from Jackson
and Sac; Richland was taken from Clinton; Coon Valley from Wall Lake township.
NAMING OF TOWNSHIPS.
The various townships were named from the following facts and incidents: Sac township, from the name of the
country and originally from the Indian tribe, the Sacs, who, with the Foxes, at once time held all this portion
Douglas, named after Hon. Stephen A. Douglas, who ran for President against Mr.
Lincoln in 1860.
Delaware township, from some of its earlier settlers who came from the state bearing
Eden township was named from the fact that the pioneers who settled here thought they
had struck an earthly paradise.
Eureka, from "I have found it," as the settlers said when looking for a
good section in which to claim land.
Cook township, for the largest farmer and landowner in the township and one of the largest
in Sac county, Mr. Cook.
Boyer Valley township, from the river that flows through the county and finally
empties into the Missouri at Council Bluffs.
Jackson township, after "Old Hickory," Andrew Jackson, a former President
of the United States.
Cedar township, from the Cedar river, or creek, that courses through it. Coon
Valley, from the Coon river.
Wall Lake, from the walled lake in the southern portion of the county, of which
so much has from time to time been written, but really the "wall" consists of the prairie boulders that
have with passing generations been heaved up by the frost.
Clinton township was named after that most excellent county in eastern Iowa, from
which many of the dearly corners to Sac came.
Richland township, as might naturally be guessed, was named for its excellent soil
Wheeler township was named in honor of Hiram Wheeler, the once great land owner near
Odebolt, who was a candidate for governor on the Republican ticket and defeated by Hon. Horace Bodies, when temperance
was the leading issue in this state.
Levey township was named for C. N. Levey, an early settler and county official.
Viola township, from Viola, Illinois, by W. A. Robinson.