History of Wheeler Township, Sac County, IA
From: History of Sac County, Iowa
By: William H. Hart
B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914


Wheeler is the extreme southwestern subdivision in Sac county and was named for Hon. Hiram C. Wheeler, the once great farmer of this section of the Northwest. It was organized in 1875. In 1880 its population was six hundred and twenty seven. In the census books for 1910 it is given as six hundred and thirty one. Wheeler is bounded on the east by Levey township, on the north by Richland, on the west by Ida county and south by Crawford county. It comprises all of congressional township 86, range 38 west. It is a magnificent farming section - one of the finest in Iowa. It has no native timber, but several small prairie creeks which water and drain the fertile farming lands which have ever been famous for productive qualities. Wheeler has no towns within its borders, but is near by Odebolt, the second largest town in the county. The great Wheeler ranch or stock farm occupied, originally, a large portion of the township's valuable land, but of recent years the larger farms have been reduced somewhat and are gradually coming) into the hands of more farmers than hitherto. Its railroad facilities are the Chicago & Northwestern line from Wall Lake west to Onawa. This road just touches the northeastern corner of the township.

The settlement here was effected as early as 1871 and was made by Americans and a large Swede colony in the southern part of the township. This has long since been known as one of the banner agricultural districts of Iowa. Stock raising and general farming predominate. The schools are excellent and are treated with others in the chapter on Education.

The first election in the township was held in October, 1875, when Daniel Leshar and William Henderson were elected justices of the peace; Martin Purcell, assessor; A. D. Peck, first clerk (by appointment); trustees, John Bruce, Solomon Peterson, A. D. Peck; Orin Haskins and Louis Lumber, constables. The first road supervisors were A. P. Nelson and G. A. Gusta fason.

Return to [ Sac County ] [ IA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy