Keokuk Township was organized April 14, 1846. The first election was held at the house of William Roland, and
the judges were Moses Robbins, Samuel Gray and William Roland. Its territory is composed of congressional township
71, range 13, with the exception of parts of sections 4, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13, and sections 1, 2 and 3. The land
is rolling, and is drained by Little Soap and Village creeks. There are 14,430 acres under cultivation, yielding
goodly harvests of corn, oats, wheat, hay and potatoes. Fruits also grow in abundance, and the raising of live
stock is a remunerative industry.
The same difficulty occurs here as with some of the other townships: no data obtainable relating to the first settlers,
in what part of the township they located, where they came from, where they built their first schools and churches,
who were the first teachers and ministers, and of the early births, deaths, and marriages, details always interesting
to the reader of local history. The research for information of this character unfortunately has been delayed too
long. Those who knew are not here to tell. This is the first attempt that any writer has made to prepare a history
of Wapello County by townships and at its inception it was not anticipated that all facts required for a comprehensive
detail of the salient and most interesting events in each township would be lacking. But such has proven to be
the case in some of them. That accounts for the paucity of details in this sketch.
W. C. McIntire was born in Ohio; removed to Indiana; in 1841 he came to Van Buren County, and in 1843 to Wapello
County. He was a farmer and a man of sterling parts. William A. McIntire, one of the boys, was born here in 1849.
He served the county well as superintendent of schools.
Dr. James La Force located in Keokuk Township in 1843. He was a native of Kentucky and removed to Indiana. He finished
his medical course in Wapello County, served in the Civil war and became prominent in his chosen profession.
D. Bower was born in Indiana. He came to Wapello County in 1845, and was one of the pioneers of this township,
in which he held several public offices.
Daniel White and wife came to the United States from Ireland in 1836, and located in Keokuk Township, on section
28, Wapello County, in 1847. He died in 1898, and for a number of years thereafter a son, John M. White, lived
on the homestead, which was his birth place.
J. M. Rupe was born in Wapello County in 1845, and married Mary J. Gee, in 1866. Mr. Rupe enlisted in 1864 in Company
E, Thirty sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry.
L. Z. Rupee came to Wapello County in 1845, from Gallia County, Ohio, having the previous year married Mary M.
Smith. He was one of the early ones to locate in this township. In 1851 he was elected justice of the peace, and
held the office for many years.