In the eastern part of the county is located Pleasant Township, which has for its northern boundary Competine
Township, western boundary Dahionega and Agency townships; on the south is Washington Township, and on the east,
Jefferson County. It is composed of all of congressional township 72, range 12, except sections 19, 30 and 31.
The township was organized June 3, 1844 The first election was held at the house of John McDowell Sr. The judges
of election were Charles Colman, John Clarke and John McDowell.
The prairie land composing Pleasant is equal to any in the county. It is drained by Cedar, Jordan, Bush and Buckeye
creeks. There are about nineteen thousand, one hundred and sixty acres of farm land, which produce fine crops of
corn, oats, wheat, hay, potatoes, apples and other fruits. The raising of stock is also an important industry.
The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad enters the township on section 6, and running due west, leaves it on
Among the early settlers were George Harman, John Henderson, James Hill, John Murray, John Huffstetter, James T.
Colman, Lewis F. Temple, Thomas Larwood, Samuel McGee, Thomas Brumsley, Manley Blanchard, John Phillips, Calvin
Carson, Hiram Fisher, John McDowell, Templin McDowell, John Clarke, Thomas Bedwell, Hugh Conley, Moses Luther,
Abel Marsh, John O'Bryant, J. A. Hartman, Thomas Nelson, Thomas C. Carman, Nathaniel Sands, W. F. Parker, Jacob
Dailey, Jacob Myers, James Burhage and L. Z. Rupe.
Jacob Dailey, an Ohioan slipped over the line and into Wapello County, the night before May 1, 1843, the time set
for the opening of the "New Purchase," and staked a claim in sections 15 and 22, in the future Township
of Pleasant - not, however, before he and others had been driven back by dragoons, or border patrols. Mr. Dailey
had his family with him, and built a log house. One side was left open, before which a fire was kept burning to
frighten animals and discourage mosquitoes. The first night the women and children were left alone, while the men
were on picket duty some distance from them. When disturbed from their sleep by the barking of dogs, the women
were greatly alarmed upon discovering a number of snapping, snarling wolves, which were prevented from doing any
damage by the presence of the camp fires and the dogs. Jacob Dailey, Jr., was at this time about sixteen years
of age. He married Angeline Wright, daughter of Thomas Wright, who entered a quarter section of land in sections
15 and 22, at the same time as the Daileys. Representatives of these to old families are living in the county at
the present time.
John H. McDowell was a pioneer of 1843, coming to Pleasant from Indiana, and taking a claim on section 17, which
he entered in 1845. Mr. McDowell was a good farmer and lived on the homestead over sixty years, and reared a large
family of children.
B. J. Harman was an early settler. Coming from Ohio to Jefferson County in 1842, it was but a step into Wapello,
which he made in 1843, at the time his father entered, a tract of land in Pleasant Township, part of which afterwards
came into his possession.
John Murray, a Virginian, married Catherine Whitmore and in 1841 moved to Iowa. In the spring of 1843, at the opening
of the "New Purchase," they entered a farm on section to, Pleasant Township. Mr. Murray became a substantial
citizen of this community. He died in 1878.
Jacob Myers settled here in June, 1843, and P. C. Shaw came the same year.
Samuel Marsh was born in Tennessee and became a settler in Wapello County in 1844
In the year 1840, James Burbage left his native "Albion" and landed in New Orleans. Four years thereafter
he was a citizen of Wapello County, having located in Pleasant Township. Here he carried on farming for a period
of twenty three years, when he removed to a smaller farm west of Agency.
L. Z. Rupe, a native of Ohio, settled in Keokuk Township in 1845, and engaged in farming. He was justice of the
peace over a quarter of a century, and also held other offices, His son, John M., and other members of his family,
were born on the homestead in section 27.
Edward Carman, of New Jersey, came to Iowa in 1846, and upon seeing the land in Pleasant Township, his fancy was
pleased and he at once settled on section 27. He lived on the farm until his death, which occurred in 1875. Mr.
Carman was no small factor in the development of this section of Wapello County. He was a good man behind a gun,
and when a squatter attempted to jump his claim, the Carman keen black eye and unerring rifle immediately induced
the intruder to peacefully leave the claim unmolested.
S. B. McClung was a resident here in 1847.
Benjamin Alverson was a native of Kentucky. He located here in 1848, and was justice of the peace a number of years.
H. Creamer left Ohio in 1838, and lived in Illinois until 1848, when he located on section 34, Pleasant Township.
John O'Bryant came from Ohio in 1849, and settled in this township on section 20.
Joseph G. Hannah came from Indiana to Wapello County in 1849, and located on section 18, Pleasant Township. His
death occurred in two. William Sliumaker became one of Wapello County's prosperous farmers. He was a pioneer of
1850, locating that year in Pleasant Township, on a farm of 160 acres. In 1861 Mr. Shumaker removed to Agency Township,
but returned to Pleasant in 1891, taking up his residence on section 11. Washington J. Warren resided in Ohio until
twenty one years of age, and moved to this township in 1850. This was his home one year, after which period he
became a citizen of Washington Township, where he purchased a farm on section to. Mr. Warren served his country
in the Civil war, after which he returned to his farm and made a success of his undertakings.
William H. Dillon came here in 1850, and Mason Fling in 1853. G. R. Hanna was also here in 1850; J. T. McMinn,
in 1857; T. J. Nelson, in 1851; Lyman Perry, in 185t; M. C. Warder, in 1852; Norman Reno, in 1855. He married for
his first wife, Mary E. Gillis, born in Wapello County in 1845; for his second wife he took Matilda Smith, born
in this county in 1852.
John H. Carter settled in Wapello County from Indiana, in 1852. He married Martha Harman, who came to the county
with her parents in 1843. Mr. Carter acquired several hundred acres of land in this township.
John Reno, of Pennsylvania, engaged in farming in this township in 1854, and at the time his son, Norman, was seven
years of age. Both became substantial citizens and Norman made a good record as a soldier in the Civil war.
William Campbell was a Pennsylvanian, who settled here in 1855 with his family. Mr. Campbell represented the county
in the State Legislature.
The first schoolhouse was a log building and fashioned like the others described in this volume. The children of
Thomas Brumsley, Hugh Conley, Thomas Bedwell, James Kennedy, Thomas Larwood and others, were taught the rudiments
of an education in this primitive school. Who taught it and when it was established has not been determined even
by the most diligent research.
Julia Brumsley, who became the wife of Warren Riffle, died in the residence which her husband had built on the
school site after it came into his possession.
The society of the Christian Church built the first house of worship in the township at Bladensburg, in an early
day, and among the early ministers were Revs. Uriah Long, William Spurlock, and G. T. Johnson.
George Harman was one of the first wagonmakers in Pleasant Township, building his shop on sections 5 and 8. At
one time a sawmill and grist mill was owned and run by Elijah Eggers and David Bedwell. The old industry is a thing
of the past.
Bladensburg is an unincorporated village, which was laid out on parts of sections 9 and 16, on the 18th
day of March, 1853, by George D. Hackworth, for Artemus Cockran and William Wright. The place never grew to be
of any great importance as a trading point, and now has but a few inhabitants. It has a church and near the village
is a schoolhouse.
W. F. Parker ran the first store.