History of Banner Township, Woodbury County, IA
From: History of the Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa
A Warner & Co., Publishers
Chicago Illinois, 1890-91

Banner Township is one of the later created subdivisions of the county, and its early history is so connected with Arlington township, from which it was detached, that a sketch of the latter covers all the early events of the former. It was erected into a township June 4, 1879, by order, as follows: "All of township eighty nine, range forty five, be detached from Arlington township, and that all of township eighty nine, range forty five, be, and the same is, hereby formed into a new township, to be called Banner township." The boundaries are Plymouth county on the north, Floyd and Moville townships on the south, Arlington on the east and Concord on the west. The first officers elected at the ensuing election, October 14, 1879, were: Trustees, Isaac Long, John Carraher, Joseph Law; clerk, M. M. Carraher.

John Canaher was the first homesteader, and a man named Tevis came in quite early; also Joseph Law. Tevis was frozen to death some years ago. This section of the county was very sparsely settled, even up to twenty five years ago, as has been stated previously, and its history, in the matter of early settlement, is so nearly similar to that of Concord, that it would be redundance to go over the same points again. Noah Levering, a former resident of the county, says, in one of his letters to the state historical magazine, that in the latter part of 1861 there was not a house along this section of the country from Sioux City to Correctionville, from which one can form some idea of the delay in settlement on the splendid land that is now blooming like a rose. "Where but a few years ago was seen the smoke ascending from the red man's teepee, now is seen curling heavenward the smoke of the cabin and mansion, the homes of the hardy pioneer and the wealthy farmer; where then the war whoop of the savage broke the monotony that reigned around, now is heard the cheering hum of industry; where then was heard the thundering tramp of the buffalo and herds of elk, now is heard the tinkling bells of the lowing herds of ' cattle on the thousand hills.' Those prairies that then yielded but luxuriant grass and fragrant flowers, now, by the strong hand of industry, yield fields of golden grain."

The surface of Banner is very similar to Concord, but not quite so broken in the eastern portion of the township, it being more gently rolling. It is well watered. Elliott, Muddy and Mud creeks supply this need. Like Concord, there is no store in Banner, no postoffice, no mill, no tavern, no railroad as yet, but one is projected; but it has a very good Presbyterian church on township sixteen, and fine school houses. The population is mostly American, with a few Germans, and the land is cultivated to a very high degree, yielding the great crop of Woodbury county - corn - in abundance.


Return to [ Iowa History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Iowa Biographies ]


Iowa Counties at this web site Audubon County - Buchanan County - Dickinson County - Fayette County - Hancock County - Iowa County - Madison County - Marion County - Plymouth County - Sac County - Wapello County - Winnebago County - Woodbury County

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy