Kedron Township was created.June 4, 1872, by the supervisors of the county, and the order reads as follows:
"All of township eighty eight, in range forty three, be detached from Rock township, and be formed into a
new township, to be called Kedron township." It is bounded on the north by Rutland and Union, on the south
by Miller, on the east by Rock and on the west by Wolf Creek townships.
Kedron is one of the richest in products of the townships. It has the best of soil, and fine wheat is raised here,
as well as corn and other grains. There is a great deal of upland, which places the crops beyond any danger from
freshets or too much water, although the entire township is well supplied with streams. The Little Sioux river
runs through the full length of the territory, entering in section one, the northeastern corner, and, flowing diagonally,
leaves Kedron at section thirty three, east of Anthon. Rock creek, Wright creek and a portion of the south branch
of Big creek are other streams, and there are a number of smaller brooks and runs that furnish ample water for
all purposes. The principal product is corn, but considerable wheat is also raised, whilst cattle and hogs are
to be found in all sections, some of them as fine as any to be procured anywhere. There is some timber along the
streams, some of it very good, such as oak, elm and lynn, also the usual cottonwood. Sand deposits occur in the
bluffs, and as the same formation is here as in other localities in the county, where brick and pottery clay is
found, it is altogether probable that good clay can be unearthed below the rich soil in the hills.
The first settlers of that portion of Correctionville township which now is comprised in Kedron, were here before
1857, and A. S. Bacon, Silas Bacon and George Everts were among the number; O. Plato came a little later; also
Tom Jeffray, who took a claim on section one, on the Little Sioux river. He came from New York state, but went
to Council Bluffs to live about 1864. Elias Shook built the first cabin in Kedron. No dugouts were used on the
east side of the West Fork, as there was plenty of timber; so the cabin of Shook was of logs.
There was preaching in one or two houses as early as 1857, and Rev. E. P. Billings, of the Methodist Episcopal
church, held services. Rev. Mr. Havens, whose circuit of appointments took in this section, preached in the upper
eastern corner of the township, as well as in the southwestern corner, in 1858. Drs. Rice and McCaull came in 1857,
and practiced their profession from Smithland to the northern boundary of the county. A number of Indian relics
have been found in various sections of the township, and as fine a specimen of a corn pounder as has ever been
unearthed is in the possession of Messrs. Adams & Bunn, of Correctionville. A very symmetrical mound stands
to the east of Anthon. It is about ten or fifteen feet in height and is perfectly rounded. It is a true mound of
the prehistoric races, or at least of early Indian construction. It is very ancient, for the present Indian race
do not, and have not for hundreds of years, built any mounds, if that race ever did at all. It is not an elevation
produced by the washing of the waters, but a true mound, from the fact that the soil upon which it rests is gravelly,
whilst the mound itself is constructed of soil taken from the adjacent hills. It is evidently a mound of sepulture,
as, in 1857, S. R. Day, Asel Hall, Isaac Hall, William Mead and others dug into it and found a considerable quantity
of human bones, all of which crumbled upon being exposed to the air.
During the Indian excitement of the early years of the war, a humorous incident occurred, or rather a joke was
perpetrated by one of the settlers. Silas Bacon was considerable of a wag and somewhat of a blusterer, but good
hearted and well meaning. When the settlers were about preparing for an attack on the Indians, who were expected
to make a raid in his vicinity, Bacon got the largest pair of shoes, number thirteens, that he could find, and
put them on. As they were too large for him they attracted the attention of some one, who asked him why be got
his shoes so large. He replied that when the red skins saw his tracks in the snow they would know that a man was
Anthon, one of the most thriving towns on this branch of the Illinois Central railroad, is located on portions
of sections thirty two and thirty three. not far from the Little Sioux river. It is the only postoffice in Kedron
township, and, being located so far to the south, the upper residents get their mail at Correctionville. The village
was incorporated during the present year (1890). It is claimed that it is the heaviest shipping point on this branch
of the Illinois Central railroad, Washta coming next, especially for cattle, large quantities of corn and wheat
being also transported to Chicago and other points. There is a large cattle ranch in Kedron, known as Benson's
The Roman Catholics have a very nice church in Anthon. The church was first at Lucky Valley, but it was moved in
the spring of 1890. Father Tierney officiates as pastor.
The Christian church was built in 1890, and is a very neat structure. Rev. Mr. Thompson visits the members occasionally
and holds services.
A Methodist Episcopal church society, with a goodly membership, exists here, but they have no church building.
The Anthon Monitor," a very neat and creditably conducted newspaper, is published here. It was established
July 26, 1888, and Mr. C. H. Cattermole is editor and proprietor.
There are many members of secret orders and fraternities in and around Anthon, but no lodges. The ladies have an
aid society and a mite society. The following are the business firms and associations:
Anthon Exchange bank, cashier, John R. Welch; Anthon Building Association, branch of the Omaha Provident Loan &
Building Association; elevators, Wilson & Cooney, J. D. Heritage; stock dealers, Wilson & Cooney; cattle
dealer, John Jerman; lumber, coal and building material, Libbey & Smith, George S. Sardam & Co.; postmaster
and notary public, J. H. Carver; general merchants, J. D. Heritage & Co., J. H. Carver; hardware and farm machinery,
E. B. Booher, F. C. Williams; drugs, Daniel Teefey; harness and saddlery, Charles H. Genet; meat market, N. Stahl;
restaurant, George McKenna; millinery, Miss Lida Bradley; barber, Abraham Watson; blacksmiths, Bartow Bros., William
F. Coffin; hotels, Carney House, Hotel Denny.
In addition to a good school in Anthon, there are four outside of that village in Kedron township.