History of Miller Township, Woodbury County, IA
From: History of the Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa
A Warner & Co., Publishers
Chicago Illinois, 1890-91

Miller Township came into existence as a separate township the year following Morgan, its eastern neighbor, it being created June 7, 1880, the order of the board of supervisors reading thus: "All of township eighty seven, range forty four, be detached from Grant township, and that all of township eighty seven, range forty four, be and is hereby formed into a new township, to be called Miller township." The first officers, elected November 2, 1880, were: Township trustees, Luke Case, E. Hall, James Reddin; clerk, G. Durst. The township is very varied in its surface conformation, the eastern portion being of the same character as Morgan, while the western is hilly and broken, and reminds one of the eastern states, excepting that the land here is far superior to the exhausted lands of the states indicated. All the beauty of the valley and stream and gently rising hill are here seen. The Little Sioux river flows in tortuous course from section four, where it enters the township to section thirty one, where it passes into Oto township. The valley formed by this beautiful stream is certainly one of the loveliest to be seen anywhere, and the finest wheat can be here raised as well as corn. The streams are full of fish, such as buffalo, catfish, perch and suckers, and there are still many aquatic animals to be trapped or shot along them. There are other minor streams in the township: Plum, Miller and Kelly creeks. This valley was a noted camping ground for the Indians, possibly for centuries, for here they had excellent water and fine hunting and fishing, whilst the hills in winter protected them from much of the fierce northwestern blasts. Here it was, among these hills and along these streams, that Wesley Turman, the Indian fighter and hunter, would bring down his game. The. Cherokee and Dakota branch of the Illinois Central railroad runs the entire length of the township on the western edge, but there is no station in Miller, Anthon being just out of this township on the north, and Oto also out of it on the south.

The territory comprising Miller was one of the earliest sections to be settled. It was a portion of Little Sioux township, and as early as 1854, Alexander Stephens and Thomas Haws were here. In 1855 came James S. Miller, Albert Livermore and Martin Livermore and one or two others, and by 1857, Ed. Hall was here and several others settled near by. A daughter of William Turman who came to Little Sioux township in 1853, is living in Miller. She was a little girl when her father and mother and her uncles came, and afterward married Minor Mead, also one of the earliest settlers. Mrs. Mead has a fund of recollections of the pioneer days, its hardships and its privations, as well as the fun and frolic engaged in by the boys and girls.

Rev. Mr. Snyder, an itinerant Methodist Episcopal preacher, traveled and preached all along this section of country at an early day, but like Morgan township, there is no church here; neither is there a store, mill, postoffice or cemetery, but there are three school houses.


Return to [ Iowa History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Iowa Biographies ]


Iowa Counties at this web site Audubon County - Buchanan County - Dickinson County - Fayette County - Hancock County - Iowa County - Madison County - Marion County - Plymouth County - Sac County - Wapello County - Winnebago County - Woodbury County

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy