Morgan Township was created September 1, 1879, the order of the supervisors reading as follows: "All of
township eighty seven, range forty two, be and is hereby formed into a new township to be called Morgan township."
The officers elected at the ensuing election October 14, 1879, were: Justices, J. J. Morgan, William McKenna, William
Clark; township clerk, J. J. Morgan.
This township is strictly an agricultural and cattle raising subdivision of the county. Within its bounds, which
are Rock on the north, Liston on the south, Ida county on the east and Miller township on the west, there is no
postoffice, no store, no mill, no church, no cemetery, and no industrial establishment of any kind, simply corn
growing and cattle and hog raising. The land is first class, and some of the finest cattle produced anywhere, are
sent to the railroad stations for shipment, whilst large quantities of corn are sent to Anthon and Liston. The
township is well watered by small creeks along which grow a little timber, but scarcely good enough in kind to
be classed as timber. Morehead creek flows through the eastern portion of Morgan; South branch of Big creek in
the northwestern; Reynolds and Koker creeks in the southern and a branch of Miller creek in the western. The township
is pretty thickly settled, especially in the southern portion, and it is well provided with schools, there being
a school house on section eight, one on section twenty two, one on section twenty eight, and one on section thirty
five; still another is about being erected.
In the matter of first settlers very little can be said, but J. J. Morgan, familiarly called Jerry Morgan, was
about the first to come. William McKenna and William Clark were here at an early day also. The township is of so
late a date that there is none of the usual old history in connection with it. Mr. C. C. Frum has a cattle and
hog ranch, which is the leading feature of Morgan.