UNION TOWNSHIP is the result of the last subdivision of Correctionville township, which, as shown in
another chapter, comprised at its creation, March 2, 1857, the northeast one fourth of Woodbury county. The name,
Correctionville, was retained by the township through all the curtailments of its territory, and up to November
27, 1871, when a majority of the citizens petitioned to have it changed to "Union," which the supervisors
of the county granted. The order of the board, September 2, 1872, making the last division and leaving Union what
it is now, is as follows: "Ordered that one half of section thirty four, all of sections thirty five and thirty
six in township eighty nine of range forty two, be detached from Rock township and attached to Union township."
This was procured at the instance of Jesse Said and others. Union comprises one complete congressional township,
the northeastern one of the county. It is bounded on the north by Plymouth county, on the east by Ida county, on
the west by Rutland township and on the south by Rock and Kedron townships. The township is one of the richest
in Woodbury county, and is well watered. Two lines of railroad traverse it diagonally branches of the Illinois
Central and the Chicago & Northwestern. The surface of the country is generally gently rolling prairie land,
very fertile, and, as showing the state of intelligence of the inhabitants, school houses dot the landscape in
every direction. In contrast to the present fine showing in the matter of education, and as an indication of the
sparse population of Correctionville township in 1860, reported by the superintendent of instruction of the county,
and recorded in the proceedings of the county court, the following statement is given: Correctionville township,
school age children, males, ten; females, eight; total, eighteen.
James L. Gaston was the first clerk of the township, being elected on the first Monday in April, 1857. At the next
April election, 1858, G. A. Willitts was elected justice of the peace. The judges of the election were John R.
Householder, John M. Downing and Abel S. Bacon, and the clerks were William A. Estey and G. A. Willitts.
There were, possibly, no settlers in that portion of Correctionville township now comprised in Union, in 1854,
or even in 1855, unless they came in the fall of the last year named. It is true that the town of Correctionville
was surveyed in September, 1855, but that is no evidence that anybody was living there at the time, for the hundreds
of cities laid off in 1855, 1856, 1857 and 1858 would, if they had grown to the size of even 1,000 population,
have made Iowa one mass of humanity as dense as that of the city of London. A gentleman, who was in this state
at the time named, wrote the following, in 1871, in regard to the rage for laying off towns and cities: "During
the years 1856 and 1857, the town mania ran to an alarming extent among the settlers of the northwest, while corn
and wheat fields were sadly neglected, Very many good quarter sections were spoiled, by being driven full of stakes
and gorgeously displayed on paper, while the only perceptible improvements were the aforementioned stakes, and
the only citizens, gophers, who held the lots by right of possession, and who seriously objected to having their
range intercepted with cottonwood stakes." In consequence of the northern border of Woodbury county, especially
the eastern half of it, being so far from the settlements along the Little Sioux and Missouri and Big Sioux, settlers
were slow in coming to the section indicated. For it will be remembered that the entire country north of Woodbury
was simply a howling wilderness clear up to the British possessions. Thousands of savage Indians roamed and hunted
and fought in that terra incognita, as unmolested in their scalping frolics as the wind as it swept down from its
home in the northwest. One can scarcely realize that in all the grand aggregation of now prosperous states to the
northwest of Woodbury county, Iowa, teeming with life, should have been, less than forty years ago in the condition
just stated. Very few persons cared to risk their scalps in making settlements so far north as the spot now occupied
by Union township.
It is generally conceded that Elias Shook, he who was charged with the killing of Pennell, if not the first settler
in the northeastern corner of the county was one of the first. M. H. Pierson, for whom Pierson's creek was named,
was also one of the first to make a settlement here. The wife of Mr. Pierson, who is still living, at an advanced
age, is, probably, the first white woman who came to the township, unless the two Shook women, Sidney and Sarah
Shook, who appeared at the trial of Shook, were here before her. Morris Kellogg, Fred Spengler, D. H. Robbins,
William Dewey, Isaac Guthridge, Harvey Phillips, Frank Davis, L. Richardson, Erastus and Zach Allen, G. W. J. Garoutte,
and a few others were all early settlers. Later on, in the sixties, quite a number came in and made settlements,
and among them were John M. Freeman and John Watson in 1863, and others.
Settlement was considerably retarded about 1856 and 1857, several matters combining to depress those who were already
here, to such an extent as to cause them to discourage their friends who had an idea of migrating westward, from
coming. Many of the settlers who had made good improvements sold out cheaply, and moved away. Three causes are
said to have been principally instrumental in producing the exodus. First, the murder of Pennell horrified a great
many persons; then the great prairie fire of the fall of 1856; and lastly, in the spring of 1857, the horrible
massacre of settlers about Spirit Lake and elsewhere. The causes leading to the massacre by the Indians have already
been given, and a few words in a general way about the prairie fire, and a mention of the Shook murder case. The
summer and fall of 1856 was very beautiful, with just enough rain to make vegetation splendid and the grass on
the untouched prairies rank. The hot sun of the dog days ripened every sprig of grass, and by the later fall months
everything was as dry as the figurative powder horn. At this time some careless person across the line, in Monona
county, threw some fire out of his pipe, which smoldered along without attracting any attention, until it suddenly
burst forth into flames. In an instant, says our informant, who saw it from a bluff in the distance, the roaring
fires rushed onward, almost with the speed of lightning. Nor could it have been otherwise, with the perfectly inflammable
condition of the long dry grass. It almost flashed like powder, crackling and snapping and seething before a stiff
breeze that blew steadily from the south. Onward it flew, spreading to the east and west, far to the northward.
In some places, where it would not be intercepted by streams that were too large for the monster to leap, it spread
a distance of ten miles. It passed over a large slice of the eastern portion of the county, lapping over into Ida
county. Starting, as stated, in Monona county, it extended its ravages far up into the regions which at that time
were only inhabited by roving bands of Indians. Fighting this flaming flood was as practical as battling to resist
the fury of the modern cyclone. Nothing but rain or lack of fuel could avail to stop its devastating march. The
scanty crops raised here and there, which were housed in the primitive barns, or stacked in the fields, all, of
course, fell a prey to the devouring element, and many a sad picture was presented to the view of the pioneer and
his family, when they made their way back to their humble home, from which they had fled, after the passage of
the resistless fire. Buildings, crops, household goods, fences, everything combustible, was utterly destroyed.
They either had to make their sad way back to their original homes in the states farther to the east, or throw
themselves upon the charity of more fortunate neighbors, who lived beyond the fire line.
Elias Shook, who was tried in the spring and summer of 1856, for the murder of a man named Pennell, is said to
have been a very tough character. He had been a miner at Galena, and the man who conducted him from Correctionville
township to Sioux City for trial, informed the writer that there was scarcely a spot on his face and hands that
did not have a scar upon it. He was a large, muscular and wiry man, and had a decided stammer in his speech. The
killing occurred in what is now Union township, and the facts appear to be about these: Shook had come into the
township and had taken up two claims. He endeavored to hold them both, placing himself on one, and his little son
on the other. Pennell also came in about the same time, and, liking one of the claims held by Shook, concluded
to make improvements thereon, knowing that Shook had no right to hold more than one. Matters went on some little
time, until one morning Erastus and Zack Allen in passing Pennell's cabin and seeing no signs of any body being
about, entered the house and discovered Pennelling partly out of his bunk, dead, evidently having been so for many
hours. It is said that the Aliens expected foul play in consequence of something that Shook had let slip some time
previous, and their suspicions could rest on no one else than him - no one else had any motive, and settlers were
too valuable to be sent of by the rifle route without some good reason. Shook was arrested and tried, but the technicalities
of the law gave him his liberty, but no one ever doubted who the murderer was. His character was so well known
to all persons, that the deputy who escorted him to the county seat, informed him before starting, that if he made
the least motion to escape, or raise his band without good reason; that be would instantly shoot the top of his
head off, so he went along as peacefully as a lamb. The names of the following persons, who were witnesses in this
first cause cedebrae of Woodbury county, are given as showing some additional inhabitants in the eastern portion
of the county: E. R. Allen, Z. G. Allen, Alexander Stephens, Thomas Hawes, G. W. J. Garoutte, Edward Livermore,
Elizabeth Stephens, E. G. Livermore, Sidney Shook, Sarah Shook, Hiram Bostwick.
During the prevalence of the December blizzard of snow in 1856, a man named Garoutte, evidently the one mentioned
in the list of witnesses above, was caught in that frightful storm and perished. He lived not far from the present
site of Correctionville, and had gone to Sioux City for supplies, having a wagon and a pair of horses. He went
before the storm came on, and, finding that there might be great difficulty in getting back to his home after it
commenced, if he delayed, he concluded to venture out while it was snowing and blowing fearfully. He had reached
a point a few miles from his home, when he found that his progress with his team was so slow that he was fearful,
it is supposed, of being caught by the night, as it must have been near dark; so he abandoned his team and started
on foot. His team wandered out of the road, and were afterward found frozen to death, but the body of Garoutte
was not discovered till the snow melted toward the spring.
Religious services were few and far between in the early days, but it is thought that Rev. Mr. Black and Presiding
Elder Taylor preached at one or more of the cabins in the vicinity of Correctionville in 1858, at least, as these
ministers were along the Little Sioux at that time, and those two pioneer Christians never lost an opportunity
"where two or three were gathered together," of urging their fellow mortals to follow the cross of the
Redeemer. The population was so scattered that it was difficult to get many together, and when the settlers desired
to hear the Word expounded, they went down to Smithland. The first school house built, in the old township of Correctionville,
stood about where the main building occupied by Cathcart & Woodruff, in Correctionville, now stands, and the
school house forms a portion of the rear of the building. There are now six or seven schools in the township outside
of the high school in Correctionville.
Relating some of the old time scenes, one of the early settlers told of a wedding that took place, and of a few
of its peculiarities, which illustrate the crudeness of the period. One of the Bacons, with his affianced, called
in Squire George Everts to officiate at the marriage ceremony, and to tie the nuptial knot into a double twister,
as some one expressed it. When the groom, who had on a pair of blue overalls tucked into his boots, and a flannel
shirt, stood up with his bride before the magistrate, he saw a basket of eggs on a table near by. As the justice
was about to propound the usual questions, Bacon reached out, and getting one of the eggs, cracked it on the edge
of the table and sucked the contents, after which he remarked to the blushing bride: "If we don't have much
to eat hereafter, we'll have bacon and eggs today anyhow."
Mr. John N. Freeman, or " Uncle Johnny," as he is familiarly called, first settled at Smithland, and
began the erection of a mill at that town, but he sold out and moved to Correctionville before it was completed.
He then commenced to build a mill in 1864, on the site where the present one in Correctionville is located, or
rather it is just outside of the town limits, in section thirty four. There was another mill built not far from
town, and with improved machinery, roller process, etc., but the dam was badly constructed, causing it to leak,
making the water power unreliable, hence it was abandoned for the time being.
Hunting and trapping was carried on to a large extent during the early settlement of the township, and many
of the settlers, when they first came, found their only means of obtaining any ready cash, to be in selling the
skins of the aquatic animals to be caught along the many streams that traverse the county. Mr. Freeman was one
of those who was very successful in enticing the valuable otter, mink and beaver into his traps. They were comparatively
plentiful, but the older ones of the animals named, were so wary of traps that it was difficult, unless extraordinary
means were used, to hold them after they had been caught in the traps. With his strong teeth the beaver could gnaw
away any kind of wooden stake or other wooden device to which the trap might be fastened and walk away with it.
Mr. Freeman told of how he caught a very large beaver, that he knew to be in a certain stream, and he knew that
no ordinary device would bag the sly old fellow. So he found where the beaver always went into the stream, and
at that point he set a heavy steel trap, at the bottom under the water, and so fastened it down that the beaver
could have no opportunity to come to the surface for air, for although a beaver can stay under water for a considerable
length of time, he must have air, and he can be drowned just as readily as a human being. The trapper had driven
a stake into the bottom of the creek, and piled rocks around it where the chain holding the trap was fastened,
so that the animal could not get at the wood to gnaw himself loose. The morning after setting his trap Mr. Freeman
went out to it, and found, lying on his back, drowned, the big fellow he was after. The poor brute had actually
removed all the rocks around the stake, and made one or two feeble bites at the wood, when he gave out, fell back,
and expired. He must have been without air for an unusually long period, and his strength must have been almost
completely exhausted, to have given up just at the moment he reached the wood. The skin of that beaver and a number
of others, including several otter and mink skins, the fortunate trapper took to Sioux City and sold for $90. Otter
skins brought $7 and $8, mink $5 and $6, and beaver $1 and $5.
The streams along which the trapping was done are quite numerous throughout Union township. In addition to the
Little Sioux river, which runs through the southeastern portion, and Pierson creek in the seuthwestern, there are
East Pierson creek, Garner creek and numerous smaller runs and brooks. On section number six in the northwestern
corner of the township, George W. Ruch has utilized one of the smaller streams for the purpose of the cultivation
of German carp, which has, in recent years, been introduced into many sections of the country. Mr. Ruch also raises
native fish, such as the black bass, perch, catfish, buffalo and sunfish. He usually has about 500 carp, for which
be finds a very ready home market. He commenced the culture of the native fish in 1885, by simply making a pond
that is on his place, more habitable for fish, by keeping it clean and supplying some food occasionally. The experiment
worked like a charm; the fish grew fast, became more numerous and were of better flavor. In 1888 he constructed
improved ponds, placing in them apparatus for changing the water and affording better facilities for spawning and
hatching. He has named his place Union Ridge Carp Ponds.
The second Indian scare to the settlers along the upper Little Sioux river was one of much local note. To one of
the gentlemen who took part in the affair the writer hereof is indebted for the appended account, which tells the
tale so well that we give it in the words of the gentleman himself: "For several years prior to 1861 the Santee
Sioux Indians became more and more troublesome to the settlers of northwestern Iowa. They made frequent raids on
the settlers, stealing their most valuable stock, and not infrequently murdering some of the unoffencling citizens.
So frequent and alarming were those depredations, that in the spring of 1861, it was thought necessary to use military
force to awe the savages into subjection. Accordingly a company of home guards was formed in Sioux City, and the
vicinity. These troops were afterward called 'frontier guards' as it sounded better. This grand cavalcade of braves
took up their line of march for the tented field of the Little Sioux valley, and after a four or five days' march
from Council Bluffs, where they had been ordered to rendezvous, and after many strategic movements to intercept
Mr. Lo's party, with whom they could not catch up, they returned in good martial order with their captain, the
'great medicine chief,' Dr. Smith, at their head, covered with glory, and their scalps in a good state of preservation,
but they had hardly finished recounting the deeds and exploits of a bloodless campaign, when they were startled
once more by the tocsin of war again sounding in the Little Sioux valley, and the cry of the settlers that, Indians
are upon us; come over and help us.' The response was echoed back in good military style, we will come.' Our brave
captain had now returned to fight, bleed and die with his brave countrymen and gentlemen soldiers,' as he delighted
to call them. We were soon on our prancing war steeds, and making rapid strides in the direction of the foe. Arriving
in the Little Sioux valley, our captain, in order to give ample room and opportunity for his brave soldiers to
make a full display of their courage, divided them into small squads in the different settlements along the river.
Sergt. Stephens was stationed at the house of Morris Kellogg, at Correctionville, and had under his command N.
Pratt, Adam Falk, William Roberts and Isaac Pendleton. At night the sergeant quartered his braves in the house,
removing some of the chinking from between the logs, in order that they might discover, through the orifice, any
approaching enemy. Pratt, being an elderly man, was permitted to retire to bed upstairs. A guard was posted, it
was a bright moonlight night, and Roberts was that guard. About 2 o'clock in the morning, when looking through
a crack in the wall toward the stable, which stood a few rods from the house, he discovered a fine specimen of
an Indian stealthily approaching the house. He moved very cautiously, making a few steps softly, and then stopping
to listen. After he had come up between the house and stable, he halted for a few moments, and hearing no alarm,
he returned to the cornfield just in the rear of the stable, when the guard quietly awoke the sergeant, with the
startling intelligence that 'the Indians are upon us,' who, in turn, aroused the remainder of his command, who
were luxuriating in the arms of Morpheus. They were placed in position, around the room, Pratt upstairs at the
window, Roberts at the door opening toward the stable, the door being slightly ajar, and Pendleton just back of
Roberts, in full range of the opening. No sooner were they placed in position than four of the enemy approached
the stable door, which was in range of the deadly missiles of the soldiers, and they tried to open the door; finding
it chained and locked, they produced a file, and commenced filing, when Kellogg said, in an excited manner, I see
an Indian.' No order had yet been given to fire, but on this remark from Kellogg, Roberts fired, the others following.
The Indians immediately returned the fire, twice in rapid succession. One buckshot or slug took Pendleton in the
forehead, the missile ranging around the skull to the back part of the head, and one taking effect in his cartridge
box. Roberts was also wounded, a ball striking him in the left side, and ranging around on a rib, fracturing it.
The Indians escaped. The next day the wounded were conveyed to Sioux City." Up to this time the Indians had
stolen twenty one horses from the settlers at various points - ten were stolen near Smithland, two at Mapleton,
five on the Floyd river, two at Correetionville and two at Ida Grove. Another scare occurred in the latter part
of July, 1861, and a company was again rendezvoused at Correetionville, but there was no more trouble with the
red skins in this section.
Correctionville. - The town of Correctionville was surveyed September 25, 1855, but no improvements were made there
for several years afterward, at least nothing that could give it the character of a town. It was never boomed,
not even by the railroads, but like Topsy, it "just growed." John Kohlhauff put up the first hotel. In
1869 A. D. Graves was postmaster, he was also an attorney at law. He kept a kind of a store in connection with
the postoffice, but had few goods. Jaynes' patent medicine almanacs were sent to him and he had printed on the
back of them "A. D. Graves, wholesale dealer in rope, soap and Jaynes' medicines." Graves came from Kansas,
and died about 1880. Johnny Erwin, as he was called, used to come into the Correctionville settlement with a covered
wagon in which he carried a small stock of general merchandise, selling his goods from his seat in his vehicle.
He afterward opened a small general store in a building that stood on a portion of the space now occupied by the
fine brick block on Main street, west of North street, and his business increased till he had a large trade. He
died about four years ago.
Correctionville was incorporated on December 25, 1882. The first officers were:
Mayor-J. S. Ellis.
Councilmen-M. E. Crowther, A. L. Ellis, D. H. Ferguson, E. A. Hall, Daniel Griffith, J. S. Stauffer.
Treasurer-R. S. Hatfield.
Clerk-D. K. Freeman.
Mayor, 1890.-L. P. Adams.
Councilmen-A. J. Weeks, Ed. Lent, G. WI Fitchner, F. L. Watson, W. M. Wright, J. O. Thompson.
Treasurer-R. S. Hatfield.
The present business of the town, which seems to be in a very thriving condition, is comprised in the appended
list of the various incorporated concerns and private firms. There are a number of very handsome and commodious
buildings in the business portion of the place and many fine private residences.
Hanford Produce Company is a branch of the Sioux City Hanford Produce Company, wholesale packers and jobbers of
fancy dairy and creamery butter, eggs and poultry, and all dairy and creamery stuffs. A. S. Hanford, president;
C. M. Hanford, vice-president; W. H. Hanford, secretary. The establishment at Correctionville was started three
or four years ago as the Palace creamery, but the Hanford company purchased it in 1889. J. H. Reynolds is manager
at this place.
Dealers in grain - Northwestern grain company; A. W. Briggs, manager.
Lumber - Joyce Lumber Company, branch of the Lyons company; J. B. Heritage, manager.
Plymouth Roller Mill & Elevator Company, of Le Mars - O. C. Foster, manager at Correctionville.
Lumber, coal and building materials - George S. Sardam & Co.; Frank Sardam, manager.
Sioux Valley State bank - Incorporated in August, 1882. First officers were: President, L. Tinkel; vice-president,
E. A. Hall; cashier, George A. Bailey. Present officers: President, Joseph V. Henchman; vice-president, E. A. Hall;
cashier, George A. Bailey; assistant cashier, O. A. Cate. Capital, $50,000.
Merchants' bank - Organized in April, 1888. R. H. Scribner, president, cashier First National bank, Cherokee, Iowa;
N. Farnsworth, cashier.
Real estate, loans and insurance - Adams & Bunn.
Insurance - M. A. Petty.
General merchants - George W. Fitchner & Co., Goss & Co., Cate Bros., E. A. Hall, Williams Bros.
Drugs, books and stationery - A. J. Weeks, W. M. Wright. Hardware and farm machinery - Cathcart & Woodruff.
Hardware - Page & Martin.
Groceries, boots and shoes - O. H. Newell.
Groceries and crockery - A. Orner.
Groceries - R. S. Hatfield, Bancroft Erwin.
Boots and shoes - John Madge.
Shoemaker - Mr. Jenkins.
Harness and saddlery - William Rheubottom.
Merchant tailor - O. M. Otloe.
Millinery - Lyman & Co., Mrs. Q. A. Christy, Mrs. Hitchcock.
Meat markets - Myers' Sioux Valley Meat Market, Orr & Anderson.
Jewelry and watches - Castle Bros.
Furniture - C. A. Butler.
Confectionery - W. R. Patrick.
Tinware - William Coe.
Wagons and blacksmithing - C. B. Cleasby.
Blacksmiths - E. Lent, William Retzlauff, Hollister.
Painter - A. J. Kannal.
Barbers - A. C. Smith, Isaac L. Hardenbrook.
Restaurant, fruits, etc. - Thomas McNear.
Hotels - Petty's Hotel, Thornton House.
Livery - Thompson Bros., Catlin Bros.
Dealers in cattle, hogs, etc. - R. O. Rodgers, Burlingham & Miller, Orr & Anderson.
Lawyers - W. C. Miller, Earl Edmunds, J. M. Sammon, O. J. Blodgett.
Physicians - W. F. McQuitty, J. G. Biller, A. J. Weeks, J. A. Thornton.
Postmaster - D. K. Freeman. Only postoffice in township.
The " Sioux Valley News." - This bright and very readable newspaper was established in 1882, by Chapman
& Freeman, who conducted it about two years, when D. K. Freeman purchased the interest of Mr. Chapman, and
has continued to be the owner of it to the present time. Mr. W. R. Mill, who has been an old attache of the paper
for many years, took the management of the "News" in September, 1889. They have a Campbell power press,
jobbers and other machinery, and turn out good work, whilst the paper is ably edited and conducted.
Methodist Episcopal Church. - The very neat and comparatively commodious structure owned by this denomination was
built in 1880, under the auspices of Rev. Mr. Gardner. Before this edifice was erected, preaching and other religious
services were conducted in school houses. Rev. J. W. Lothian is the present pastor.
Baptist Church. - This church edifice was built in 1883, and is a neat building for the purposes to which it is
dedicated. Rev. G. Huston served for three years as pastor, until February, 1890, when Rev. Mr. Day was called
to the charge.
There was a Catholic church here, built in the fall of 1884, but it blew down and was utterly destroyed in the
following spring, and was never rebuilt.
A very beautiful cemetery is located just east of the town, and there is another in the township on section ten.
The Correctionville high school is an institution that would do honor to any city. Prof. Atkinson, the principal,
with his able assistants, have raised the standard of education in Correctionville very perceptibly.
Burning Bush Lodge, No. 474, F. & A. M. - This lodge worked under dispensation from March 28, 1885, until June
11, 1886, when it was chartered. The charter members were George A. Bailey, W. L. Ehlers, C. Torrey, George S.
Todd, C. R. Gilger, F. W. Tibbetts, W. E. Messerole, S. W. Hester, Wesley Goss, D. H. Harris, D. H. Furgason, J.
A. Bush, A. Anderson, B. Delameter, George B. Hutchoroft, A. L. Brockway. Officers under dispensation: George A.
Bailey, W. M.; W. L. Ehlers, S. W.; C. Torrey, J. W.; George S. Todd, sec.; F. W. Tibbetts, treas.; W. E. Messerole,
S. D.; S. W. Hester, J. D.; Wesley Goss, tyler. Present officers: W. L. Ehlers, W. M.; A. J. Weeks, S. W.; A. W.
Bush, J. W.; Henry Maennel, sec.; H. A. Castle, treas.; George A. Bailey, S. D.; C. W. Or, J. D.; D. H. Harris,
tyler. Meet Saturday evening on or before the full moon. Sixty two members.
Stella Chapter, No. 17, O. E. S., was organized May 5, 1887. Charter members were A. W. Bush, W. L. Ehlers and
wife, E. C. Laub, Henry Fennel and wife, W. E. Messerole and wife, C. G. Messerole and wife, A. J. Weeks and wife,
W. F. McQuitty, C. G. Goss, Miss Ella Goss. Charter received August 6, 1887. First officers: Mrs. Jennie Maennel,
W. M.; W. L. Ehlers, W. P.; Mrs. J. Weeks, A. M.; Mrs. Delia Newell, sec.; Miss E. Lyman, treas.; Mrs. Emma Ehlers,
conductress; Mrs. Emma Messerole, associate conductress; Present officers: Mrs. Jennie Maennel, W. M.; W. L. Ehlers,
W. P.; Miss Ella Goss, A. M.; Henry Maennel, sec.; Mrs. Carrie Biller, treas.; Mrs. Emma Ehlers, conductress; Miss
E. Lyman, associate conductress. Twenty nine members. Meets Tuesday after regular communication of Blue Lodge.
Agamemnon Lodge, No. 255, K. of P., was chartered April 11, 1890. Charter members: F. W. Woodruff, A. J. Weeks,
Orson D. Castle, George Thom, W. B. Chapman, Allen Orner, C. G. Goss, W. R. Mill, J. O. Thompson, M. E. Thompson,
F. S. Catlin, William Catlin, A. Bower, W. W. Overholtzer, J. S. Rogers, Frank Watson, W. M. Rheubottom, O. A.
Cate, George S. Cate, A. W. Bush, W. M. Wright, W. L. Ehlers, William C. Miller, Frank Davies, W. H. Petty, H.
Maennel, George W. Fitchner, J. T. Kiggins, W. E. Atkinson, George L. Castle, L. P. Adams, A. B. Shontz. First
officers: W. L. Ehlers, C. C.; F. W. Woodruff, P. C.; W. C. Miller, V. C.; H. Maennel, K. of R. & S.; W. M.
Wright, M. of F.; O. A. Cate, M. of K; A. W. Bush, M. A.; George S. Cate, prelate; George Lewis Castle, I. G.;
Frank Davies, O. G. Lodge meets every Friday. Thirty members.
Sioux Valley Lodge, No. 470, I. O. O. F. - Charter received January 1, 1884, and opened with the following officers:
Charles Lee, N. G.; David Moffatt, V. G.; Will Miller, sec.; Frank Lanam, treas.; charter members five. Present
officers: R. S. Hatfield. N. G.; George L. Castle, V. G.; J. W. Zeman, sec.; Allen Bowers, treas.; number of members,
fifty three. Meets every Thursday night.
William Baker Post, No. 298, G. A. R. - Organized March 19, 1884. First commander, A. H. Petty; those following,
to the present time, were Appolos Laughlin, George Hoskins, J. A. Bunn, Samuel Allison, L. P. Adams, J. A. Livingston.
Post meets every first and third Monday of month; membership about seventy five.