Hamilton County was formed from White county, in 1821, and is bounded north by Wayne; east by White; south by
Gallatin; and west by Franklin and Jefferscii counties. It is twenty-four miles long, and eighteen broad-area 432
This county is watered by branches of the Saline creek, and Little Wabash river, and contains a large proportion
of timbered land. The soil generally is second and third rate, with a considerable tract of swamp in the northern
part of the county.
Hamilton county belongs to the third judicial circuit; sends one member to the house of representatives, and, with
Jefferson county, one to the senate.
The seat of justice is Mc Leansboro'.
Hancock County was formed from Pike county, in 1825. It is thirty miles in length, and from twenty-four to thirty
miles broad containing about 775 square miles.
It lies north of Adams, west of McDonough, south of Warren, and is washed by the Mississippi on its western side.
Hancock prairie, from twelve to twenty miles in width, runs from south to north through this county. On the east,
it is watered by the branches of Crooked creek; and on the southwest, by Bear; and on the northwest, by Camp creek.
This county in the aggregate is deficient in timber. The banks of Bear creek furnish a supply for that portion
of the county. A strip lines the bank of the Mississippi, In some places of considerable width and of excellent
quality-in other places narrow and of inferior quality. A tolerably dense settlement extends along the line of
this timber. Crooked creek furnishes a due proportion of timber and prairie, and a body of excellent land.
Hancock county belongs to the fifth judicial circuit, and sends one representative, and with McDonough one Senator
to the legislature.
The county seat is Carthage.
Henry Connty was formed in 1825, but not organised for judicial purposes till recently.
It is bounded north by Whiteside and Rock Island; east by Putnam; south by Knox, and west by Mercer and Rock Island
counties. It is thirty miles long east and west, and about the same broad-area 840 square miles. It is watered
by Edwards, and some of the head branches of Spoon rivers Rock river, Green river and the Winnebago swamp and outlet.
About the Big Grove, Fraker's settlement, and on Edwards river is considerable good land, but in general Henry
county is not equal to the counties contiguous. The Winnebago swamp spreads along its northern side; and there
is considerable level, wet, swampy land between the waters that fall into the Mississippi and those that flow to
There is good land enough within its borders to make a respectable county. It belongs to the fifth judicial circuit,
and with Knox .and Warren, sends one member to each branch of the legislature. Its county seat not located.
This county was laid off by the legislature, in 1833. It is bounded on the north by Will county; east by the
State of Indiana; south by Vermilion county; and west by an irregular strip of country, attached to Vermilion county.
It is about 42 miles long and thirty-four broad-containing about 1428 square miles.
Kankakee, Iroquois, Sugar, Spring and Beaver creeks are its water courses. A large proportion of this county is
prairie; the timber is in groves, and strips along the Streams.
Settlements have been formed to some extent on Iroquois and Sugar creeks. There are many sand ridges and plains
in this region, but considerable portions of prairie are very rich. Iroquois is attached to the seventh judicial
circuit, and sends one representative, and with La Salle, Kane and Boone, one senator to the legislature. Population
about 1800. The seat of justice is not yet established.
Jackson County was formed from Randolph and Johnson, in 1816. It is situated on the Mississippi, and has Randolph
county on the north, Franklin east, Union south, and the Mississippi river and a portion of Randolph west. It is
twenty-four miles from north to south, and front eighteen to twenty-eight miles from east to west-its area is about
576 square miles. This county is watered. by Muddy river and its tributaries.
On this stream, near Brownsville, is a saline where considerable quantities of salt are manufactured.
Jackson county is generally a timbered tract of country, except towards its northeastern part where are some fine
prairies. The timber in this country and along the Muddy, is of the various kinds common to this portion of the
state, as oaks of several species, hickory, elm, poplar, walnut, sugar maple, etc.
Its exports are salt, coal, pork, beef, horses, etc.
Jackson county belongs to the third judicial circuit, and sends one member to the house of representatives, and
with Franklin, one member to the senate. Population about 3,150.
County seat Brownsville.
Jasper County was formed out of Crawford, and small portions of Lawrence and Clay, in 1831.
It is bounded north by Coles; east by Crawford; south by Lawrence and Clay; and west by a corner of Clay, and Effingham.
It is twenty-three miles long, and twenty-two wide-and contains about 508 square miles. The Embrarras runs thrcrugh
it, and the Muddy Fork of the Little Wabash waters its westem side. Much of the prairie and timbered land of this
county is level, wet, and of an inferior quality. The settlements are small amounting to fifty or sixty families.
On the North Fork and the main Embarras are some good tracts of fertile soil.
The county seat is called Newton.