PALOMA AND THE GOODINGS
Paloma was laid out by Daniel W. Gooding about 1862. He was an honest, thrifty Maine man, and when he came to
Quincy from Ohio in 1837 there was only one brick building in the county seat. Mr. Gooding afterward. moved to
Honey Creek Township and bought a large tract of land, a portion of which he developed into a fine farm and homestead.
As stated, he laid out Paloma on his property, which also included more than half a section adjoining it to the
north. It was in that locality that Edward J. Gooding, the youngest child of Daniel, was born sixty-two years ago,
and, for some years, he has been living comfortably in the village, as the oldest continuous resident of the township.
Z. Morton, who died in 1917, had settled about sixty years before on the farm, one mile north of Paloma, which
had been his lifelong residence. His six sons have all føllowed in the footsteps of their father.
In 1848 William Booth located his homestead one and a half miles south of the present site of Paloma, and died
about fourteen years ago. His six children continued to reside in the old neighborhood and are now among the oldest
settlers of the township.
Paloma has become the center of quite an extensive trade in live stock, grain and hay. On account of the large
quantities of cucumbers which are raised in the neighborhood and pickled there, it has often been dubbed Pickle
Station or Pickleville.
The Paloma Exchange Bank, which is a branch of the People’s Bank of Camp Point, was opened in 1909. M. W. Callahan
is its president and H. G. Henry cashier.
The Paloma Lumber Company handles a full line of building materials under the management of J. E. Lohr. The large
live stock shippers are represented by Willis Cook and C. C. Lawless, and the dealers in hay and grain by J. E.
Lohr and J. H. Lummis. The latter have done business in those lines for the past eighteen years.
As to her public utilities, it may be said that Paloma organized an electric light company in 1916, and put in
a plant with storage. The water for domestic consumption is drawn from sanitary wells.
The Paloma Methodist Episcopal Church, the only local religious body, was originally organized at Richiand schoolhouse,
one mile south of town, in 1851. Seven years later the headquarters of the organization were transferred to the
present site of Paloma, where a house of worship was built and dedicated by Peter Cartwright. The society, now
a thriving station, is in charge of Rev. Otis L. Monson.