[Continued from part 1 od Mount Carroll history.]
Retrospective. - From October, 1854, to April, 1855, the seminary was under the control of the incorporators: The
last board of trustees were Hon. John Wilson, president; J. P. Emmert, Esq., secretary; H. G. Gratton, treasurer;
Nathaniel Halderman, William T. Miller, Garner Moffett, John A. Clark, Rev. W. W. Harsha and John Rinewalt. From
April, 1855, to December, 1857, under the control of Miss F. A. Wood and Miss C. M. Gregor; From December, 1857
to July 18, 1870, under the management of Mrs. F. A. Wood Shimer (Miss Wood having married Dr. Henry Shimer). July
1870, the partnership between Mrs. Wood Shimer and Miss Gregory was dissolved, and the former lady became sole
manager of the institution. Miss A. C. Joy, of Maine, an accomplished lady and thorough educator, is now associate
principal. Besides her accomplishments as a teacher, she is a valuable business aid-de-camp to Mrs. Shimer in the
management of the large and increasing business of the seminary. Dr. Shimer's present connection with the school
is that of a lecturer, although he has, at times, served as one of the teachers, generally in the mathematical
When he and Miss Wood were married, he did not assume any of the business duties of the institution, but preferred
to leave its entire control in the hands of the one who had fashioned, shaped, guided and directed it to such magnificent
success. A great student of Natural History, he has collected a choice cabinet for the use of the school. Competent
judges assert that his ornithological collection is not equalled in any public institution in the Northwest.
Through the influence of Hon. E. B. Washburn, this institution was made one of the depositories of copies of all
the public documents published at Washington, of which there are thirty to forty volumes of every session of Congress.
Besides these, there is a library of about 3,000 volumes that is considered very complete. The music rooms are
furnished with the best of pianos and organs, as well as with the most proficient teachers. In all its details
the Mount Carroll Seminary ranks among the best institutions in the country. It has ample facilities for the accommodation
of 180 pupils, and has turned out about sixty graduates since the adoption of 1860 regular course of study, in
1860. For the last ten years, it has maintained an average yearly attendance of 175 pupils, coming from all the
This great institution has been built up in a quarter of a century, and in the main is the work of one woman. When
likely to fail under the management of men, this woman of the great head and iron will, aided and supported by
a no less determined sister, put her whole soul into the work, and has wrought out a position for the seminary
that is an honor, not only to the state in which it has been built up, but to that national government, which is
based upon the intelligence and virtue of its people.
Referring to another one of the early friends of the seminary, Mrs. Shimer says:
"When we came to Mount Carroll, Henry G. Grattan was editor and proprietor of Carroll County Republican, and
deserves honorable mention for the aid he gave to this enterprise. He had no money to give, but gave space freely
in the editorial columns of his paper, and through these, with the enthusiasm with which he worked for every enterprise
that looked towards the improvement of the town, he gave more true aid to this institution in its incipient year
than all the money paid by the citizens of this county, which, as elsewhere shown, amounted to about one thousand
dollars. Mr. G. long since retired from the editorial chair and is now a well to do farmer in Alamakee County,
The Normal Department is a valuable feature of the school. The principal being a graduate of the New York Normal
School, and thoroughly imbued with the value of that system of instruction for those having teaching in view, naturally
has given prominence to this department. Hundreds of teachers have been educated here, and from their ranks many
prominent positions in public and graded schools, in seminaries, academies and colleges, are being most successfully
and honorably filled. The teachers from this institution command a decided preference and the demand exceeds the
supply. Of those in attendance the past yea; over twenty five had good positions secured within a month from the
close of the school year.
A second charter was obtained under date of February 25, 1867, which named Mrs. F. A. Wood Shimer and Miss Cinderella
M. Gregory, as sole incorporators. This charter granted full college powers of conferring degrees. Hon. Elijah
Funk, one of the oldest and most honored citizens of the county, was the representative at that time, and gave
his influence to the measure.
Under the liberal management of the seminary, provision is made for free tuition to one teacher from each township
of Carroll County, and one also from each county in the state.
The Manual Labor Department is another valuable feature of this school, affording the means to scores of the most
worthy young women of securing an education and fitting themselves for positions of usefulness. This is not an
Industrial School, as none are required to work. The object is merely to give the opportunity to those who could
not otherwise enjoy the advantages of a seminary; to young women of energy and character, to work their way, earning
their own education. There are, at this writing, above forty in this department doing all the manual labor of the
institution, except the work of one laundry woman, one cook, and a matron. Thus, with the "Teachers' Provision,"
giving time to those needing, and the manual labor provision, the way is open at this institution for any young
lady of good ability, with energy and perseverance, to secure an education to fit herself for a sphere of usefulness.
A Department of Telegraphy was established in January, 1878, largely for the benefit of a class of young women
who wish to prepare for something that may enable them to be self sustaining. A competent and experienced telegraph
operator has charge of this department, and makes the course not only complete, but thoroughly practical, thus
fitting a class for some other sphere of usefulness of business than teaching.
In 1859, the Neosophic Society of the seminary established the first literary periodical of the school. It was
to be sustained by the voluntary contributions of the students and conducted by a corps of editors elected by the
students, and to be issued monthly; eight pages, each page 14 by 16 inches, of four columns to each page. The printing
was done in the office of the county paper for about a year, at the end of which time the principal bought the
office and complete fixtures and removed the same to the seminary, where the Seminary Bell was printed by the students,
George R. Shaw, of Galena, a practical printer and student of the school, being, foreman. The war was in progress,
and during 1862 the call for volunteers took away the foreman. The expenses of running a paper were largely increased.
War news was about all the public cared for, and a complication of circumstances led to the suspension of the Seminary
Bell. The war still raged and there was no certainty when it could be resumed. The press and material would deteriorate
in value if kept, and the principal decided to sell the entire office while prices were high. For six years the
school was without a printed paper. In x868, the Oread Society established a monthly journal, quarto form, of 16
pages, which has steadily grown till it now comprises 28 pages, including a neat cover. The exchanges furnish ample
matter for a reading room.
A fact worthy of note is that this school has never resorted to the practice of nearly all others, in employing
agents to solicit pupils and funds. Never have the principals asked a person for his or her patronage. Never has
an agent been employed for such a purpose. Never has a dollar been donated to the enterprise by the public except
the sum of about one thousand dollars in stock, elsewhere noted, and the original five acres of ground where the
seminary stands. Of this the principal and present proprietor really had very little benefit, except of the five
acres of ground, from the fact, as elsewhere shown, they paid the full cost, as per contract price, of the building,
and the larger part of the cost of the furniture.
Industry and economy were necessary to these accomplishments. These were exercised without stint. Not a tree, a
shrub, or a vine, was planted on the grounds that was not planted under the supervision of the wonderful genius,
whose magic touch made the Mount Carroll Seminary rise from chaotic confusion unto magnificence, splendor and usefulness.
PRESENT BOARD OF INSTRUCTION.
F. A. Wood Shimer, principal; A. C. Joy, associate principal and teacher of senior classes; H. Shimer, A.M.,
M.D., lecturer on natural sciences, anatomy and physiology, and teacher of taxidermy; Caroline White, German and
English; Ruth C. Mills, A.B., Latin, French and literature; Fannie L. Bulkley, A.B., mathematics; Virginia Dox,
English; Sarah Clark, penmanship and class drawing; S. B. Clark, painting, drawing, etc.; L. M. Kendall, musical
director; B. F. Dearborne, principal of vocal department; Denise Dupuis, Clara A. White, Isabella F. Jones and
Elizabeth A. Barber, music; Virginia Dox, singing class; C. A. White, elocution. Additional teachers in music employed
during the year. Mr. W. F. Browning, department of telegraphy; Mrs. F. A. W. Shimer, financier; Mrs. S. M. Howard,
matron; Mrs. A. M. Faulkner, housekeeper.
DESCRIPTION OF BUILDINGS, ETC.
There are four buildings, as has been elsewhere described, all so connected as to give the appearance of one
building, presenting a west and north front of 256 feet. The first or original building gives a dining room, 42
by 46 feet, on the first floor. The second floor is used for library, office, reception room, and music room. Third
floor for society and reading room, and private rooms. Fourth floor for private and trunk rooms.
The second and third buildings give, on the first floor, school and recitation rooms, 32 by 70 feet, and four private
rooms for young men, some six or eight being received in the manual labor department, for the convenience of their
work about the buildings and grounds, all the advantages of the school being afforded them, the same as to the
young ladies. The second and third floors are occupied for private rooms, and the fourth floors for studio and
for music practice rooms.
The fourth building, which is just being completed, has on the first floor a kitchen, wash room, dry room, ironing
room, furnace room, foul air room, work shop, private rooms for employees, six dry earth closets, slop closet,
and dry earth vault and closet, the whole ventilated by the same system as the entire building, and thus kept perfectly
free from offence, as any part of a well ventilated building need be. The value of these arrangements, in a sanitary
point of view, can not well be overestimated. The second floor has conservatory, principal's rooms, sick and nurses'
rooms, bath rooms, and water closets and slop closets on one side of main hall. On the opposite side, the entire
length of the building (100 feet) is devoted to parlors and rooms for the musical conservatory, the space being
divided into five rooms, each communicating by folding doors, making a most spacious music hall, when thrown into
one room. The third and fourth floors are devoted to private rooms for students, all of which are neatly furnished,
carpeted throughout with Brussels and three ply carpets, beds (all with best woven wire mattresses), and all the
possible conveniences of drawers, closets, cupboards, etc. Bath rooms, water and slop closets on each floor. The
fifth floor has eleven practice rooms for music, a sun bath room, five trunk rooms, and tank rooms, furnished with
a thirty five barrel tank for hard or well water, and the same for cistern water. The water supply is complete,
and of the best and purest water. The hard water is from a well one hundred and thirty feet deep, about fifty feet
being in solid rock and the remaining eighty feet tubed with heavy galvanized iron. Thus there is no possibility
of surface water or any impurities whatever getting into the well. The cistern water supplied to the soft water
tank is from nine very large cisterns, connected by pipes at the bottom. The two cisterns receiving the water from
the different buildings are furnished with the most complete filters, built in of brick covered with charcoal,
gravel, sand, etc. Thus the soft water tank is supplied with pure filtered water. The water is raised by pumps
worked by wind power. The wind mill, with a sixteen feet wheel, is built immediately over the well, and near the
line of the cisterns The pumps are so set that the mill works both pumps at the same time, thus quickly forcing
an abundant supply of water to the fifth floor of the building described, The windmill house is a neat octagon
structure, all enclosed, with siding painted, and furnished with windows and blinds. It is separated into three
stories, making convenient rooms for tools, etc. From the tanks in the attic, the water, both hard and soft, is
carried to closets on each floor, thence to the basement, where the soft water is heated in two eighty gallon circulating
boilers, connected with the kitchen range, and, by its own pressure, returned (both the hot and cold soft water)
to the bath rooms on each floor and to the rooms of the first building erected: The different bath rooms are furnished
with metallic and rubber tubs for plunge baths, wood tubs for Sitz baths, Brown's steam tub for electrical vapor
baths, and a complete shower bath, hot or cold, as may be desired. The system of plumbing is complete - no lead
or galvanized pipes being allowed, to convey impure water to poison stealthily, but surely, those using such water
- the warming, ventilating and sewerage all being as nearly perfect as is often found. The well water is also carried
under ground to the gardens, supplying fountains and hydrants for all needed garden uses. The warming and ventilating
is on the Ruttan improved system. The furnaces being so constructed, it is impossible to make the outer casings
red hot, and consequently the air is never "burned," thus obviating the objection urged against heating
The supply of pure air from direct outside flues is abundant. This is amply warmed (not burned) by contact with
outer cases of furnaces, and from this goes direct to an iron reservoir, about eighty feet long by five feet wide
and two feet deep, and from this reservoir supplied to the nine stacks of brick flues, each stack having seven
or eight independent flues, each of which supplies heat to a room. Every flue has a damper in the basement, which
system of dampers, in connection with the registers in each room, gives perfect control of the heating of the building.
Every room is furnished with a thermometer, which the occupants are expected to observe, and when the temperature
is seventy degrees Fahrenheit, the register is to be closed. If it falls to sixty five degrees with register open,
the occupant can report to fireman and more heat will be supplied. Thus, a very nearly even temperature (conducive
alike to health and comfort) may with very little air be enjoyed at all times.
The system of ventilation deserves special mention. All the floors through the building are hollow, as also the
main partitions from attic to basement. Under every window is a space of perforated base, which gives an opening
from every room and hall to the hollow under the floor, which communicates with the hollows in the partitions,
and is thus carried down to the foul air room in the basement, which opens directly to a ventilating chimney, some
three by six feet in capacity, opening out at the apex of the roof. Thus, the draft of this great chimney upon
the entire volume of air in the building naturally tends to exhaust the same from the building. The ventilating
openings being at the base of room, where the coldest air and foulest air tends to accumulate, this is. of course,
the first to be drawn off, and the pure air from outside, freshly warmed, is drawn upon to supply the air exhausted.
Thus, as the rooms warm, which they do very rapidly (almost instantane ously on opening the register). and warm
air is drawn off by this great chimney draft and passes through the hollows under the floors and down the hollow
partitions, the warmth is given out to the floors and partitions, till the entire building is of an equal temperature.
the floors and ceilings of the rooms being within a degree or two of the same temperature a great improvement on
the old plan of stove-heated, unventilated rooms, where the "head is baked and the feet frozen." With
this system of complete ventilation, capable of changing the entire atmosphere of the building every thirty to
sixty minutes, it is apparent that there is no need of open windows, exposing to cold currents, but on the contrary,
however closely the windows and doors are kept closed, the more perfect will be the ventilation. Hence, every means
are used to make the building close. The walls of brick are thick and hollow, and then furrowed and lathed, to
secure warmth and dryness. The windows are all furnished with double sash and outside blinds, all of which contribute
to the warmth. In short, this system of warming and ventilating can scarce be improved upon.
The sewerage, as well as closet arrangement, should be noticed, as the healthfulness of a large number together
is so directly dependent on the successful arrangement of these details. The slops from kitchen, laundry, bath
rooms and private rooms are all emptied into iron sinks in the different closets, etc. suitable, and thence conveyed
by iron pipes down from the building into cement sewer pipes laid deep under ground, and thence to a ravine some
fifty rods from the building. The waste water pipes are all abundantly supplied with stench traps, and, to make
the whole more secure, ventilated by carrying a tin flue from the upper end of the waste pipe out by chimney to
top of building. Thus, there is no possible offence, no poisoning the air or earth to be conveyed into the water,
at some remote time to cause epidemics, etc.
With such complete sanitary arrangements, may not the Mount Carroll Seminary continue to enjoy the immunity
from sickness it is already noted for? An elevator conveys all baggage from basement to any floor required. Clothes
flues and dirt flues convey all clothes to the laundry, and all dirt to the dirt closet in the basement. Thus,
with the added conveniences of water and slop closets on every floor, very much of the running up and down stairs,
often objected to, is avoided. The entire buildings are fitted for gas. The gas house of brick is about eight rods
from the seminary, where the gas is manufactured for lighting. It may be added that the first (oldest) building
is also fitted with furnace and with water supply, and it is the principal's plan to have either furnaces or steam
introduced into the first and second additions, another year.
For exercise, in addition to the ample grounds and the floored grape arbor 300 feet long, we will notice the piazzas
running the length and width of the first building, and length and width of last building, giving 500 feet for
promenade, which is thoroughly enjoyed by the young ladies.
We have been thus minute in our description, because it is all, except the first of the four buildings, the work
of a woman, she being the financier, the architect, the contractor, the builder, or superintendent of the entire
work from day to day, nothing done "by contract," all by day's work, in every department, from the quarrying
the rock for the foundation to the finishing stroke of the painter and the final furnishing. No board of trustees
to advise - no male adviser in any department or any way. Let women learn to be self reliant, and go and do likewise.
In addition to the buildings, the same woman has made the grounds what they are. Beginning with five acres of naked
ground, not a tree or shrub upon it, not even a fence to enclose it, she added to it till now there are 25 acres,
enclosed with hedges and ornamental borders of evergreens and varieties of deciduous trees; planted with vineyards
and orchards, embracing every variety of fruits grown in this latitude; flower gardens laid out and planted; walks,
playgrounds, and game grounds provided for; macadamized and graveled drives laid; arbors, with shady seats; fountains
set; all projected; material procured, and work done under the immediate supervision of this same woman. Her own
landscape gardener, orchardist and planter, every tree and shrub and plant passed through her hands, placing nearly
every root in the ground herself, with, in most cases, inexperienced boys to do the digging, etc. During these
years of laying out grounds, and planting hedges and trees, being at all times financier, bookkeeper, secretary,
treasurer, steward and general overseer, this same woman must carry on her improvements out of doors through the
day, and attend to the duties of her various other offices at night, thus much of her life taking only four or
five hours' sleep of the twenty four. If a change of cooks was necessary at any time, this same woman filled the
vacancy for weeks, or till suited with a new one. If the cook was sick, as sometimes may happen, this same woman
became cook and nurse. Such was the experience of the many of the early years of this enterprise. Say not that
women are dependent. Every girl in our country should be educated to be self reliant, and capable of being self
sustaining. Till this is the aim of every school for young ladies, our institutions are sadly deficient.
Have never been encouraged or fostered to any extent. The organization of the Hydraulic Company, about 1851-2,
had for its object the manufacture of alcohol. About that time spirit lamps were generally in use, and it was claimed
by the projectors and managers of the Hydraulic Company, that an alcoholic distillery here would afford the farmers
a profitable market for their surplus corn, while the distillery would prove a regular "bonanza" (the
term was not in use then, however) to those who would invest therein. Investments were made, and the distillery
was started, but by some sort of hocus pocus arrangement, the alcohol manufactured was not confined to the purposes
claimed when the company was being organized. There were a few good men, among them Father Irvine, who had a suspicion
from the start that it would not end well - that the distillery would be diverted to other uses than the making
of alcohol - or, that at least the alcohol would not all go towards supplying the spirit lamp demand. So a watch
was kept on the establishment, and some of its barrels tracked away from the distillery and back again, and it
turned out that the alcohol was taken to distant refineries, rehandled, turned into a good article of corn whisky,
brought back and sold to different individuals - some of it, perhaps, returning to the farmers who had raised the
corn from which it was made. This discovery created a furore of excitement. Good men - members of churches - were
interested in the concern as stockholders, and to excuse themselves, they claimed that after the production left
the distillery, and was sold to other parties, they were not responsible for the uses to which it was put. But
the excitement could not be controlled. It increased and extended. Friends of long standing became alienated, and
finally the concern was abandoned, after having involved the Mill Company and some others in financial troubles
that bore them down.
In 1853, John Tridel started a foundry and commenced the manufacture of stoves, plows, etc. In 1854, a Mr. Kellogg
became a partner, and afterwards John Nycum and Henry McCall, Senior, were admitted as partners. The business was
continued up to 1866, when the enterprise was abandoned.
Messrs. Widney and Walker started a fanning mill factory, in 1855, and did a good business for five years, when,
the outlook becoming somewhat clouded, they "shut up shop."
The old mill is now under the proprietorship and management of Jesse M. Shirk, Owen P. Miles, and Nathaniel Halderman,
under the firm name of Shirk, Miles & Co. This firm was organized in September, 1864.
J. P. Smith, wagon maker and blacksmith, commenced operations 1854 or 1855, and with the exception of the time
he was in the army - going out with the first company and coming back with the last - has been in the business
all the time. He is a good workman, employs none but number one mechanics, and turns out the best of work.
J. W. Miller, carriage maker, commenced operations about the year 1872. He is said to be a superior workman, and
that carriages of his make bear favorable comparison with those of any other establishment in the state. His shops
are small, but steadily increasing in size and capacity.
H. C. Blake, a son of Orleans County, Vermont, came here in 1864, and after engaging six and a half years in carrying
the mail and staging it between Mount Carroll and Polo, in 1870, commenced a general blacksmithing business, making
to order any thing needed in that line. His business is steadily increasing, and enlarged shops, greater capacity,
and more workmen, are necessities of the near future.
P. B. Cole is well established as a blacksmith and woodworker, and when times were good conducted a large and lucrative
business. At one time his business was the largest in the Plum River country. For the last few years his attention
has been more directed to the improvement and culture of his farm than his shops.
Brickmaking. - This is the largest manufacturing industry prosecuted in Mount Carroll. James Hallett, practical
brick maker and mason, came here in 1847, and at once engaged in the business of making brick, and has continued
in the business to the present without interruption. In the Spring of 1848, his brother, B. H. Hallett, became
a partner with him, and until 1867, they remained together as brickmakers and builders. In April, 1867, the partnership
was dissolved, B. H. Hallett withdrew from the business, and James continued to operate in that line. His kilns
are located in the northern part of the city, where an abundance of good clay is of easy access. All of the prominent
buildings in the county are built of Hallett's make of brick, including the Seminary, Court House, Public School
Buildings, etc. In 1863 and 1864, he operated a yard at Lanark. Since the last named date, he has confined his
operations in Carroll County to his Mount Carroll yard. His average productions amount to 500,000 per year. In
season he gives employment to twelve to fifteen operatives.
The first newspaper started was the Mount Carroll Tribune, by Dr. J. L. Hostetter in 1851. It was printed at
Freeport, although it bore date and purported to be published here. It only lived a few months.
In 1852, J. P. Emmert started the Mount Carroll Republican. Emmert sold out to H. G. Grattan, in the Winter of
1853. Grattan was a good newspaper man and gave the people a most excellent news journal. To his sagacity the people
are indebted for the inauguration of many of their early enterprises and their prosperity. In 1855, Grattan sold
the Republican establishment to D. H. Wheeler, and is now a successful and prosperous farmer in Alamakee County,
Iowa. Wheeler continued the paper until 1857, when he sold out to D. B. Emmert. Emmert in turn sold to Dr. J. L.
Hostetter, and emigrated to Kansas [where he again embarked in the newspaper business - his first venture in that
line after arriving there being the Auburn Docket. Subsequently, he became editor of the Fort Scott Monitor, and
a member of the Kansas Legislature, and in 1869-70-71 was Receiver of the United States Land Office, at Humboldt].
Dr. Hostetter sold an interest in the Republican office to Dr. E. C. Cochran. In the meantime, George English had
started the Home Intelligencer, and soon after Hostetter and Cochran became associated as partners in the Republican,
an arrangement was made by which that paper and the Intelligencer were consolidated. Dr. Hostetter retired from
the business, and was succeeded by Messrs. English & Cochran, who named the consolidated papers the Republican
and Intelligencer. This arrangement did not last long, the partnership was dissolved. English renewed the publication
of the Intelligencer, and Dr. Hostetter returned to the Republican. Mrs. Shimer and Miss Gregory bought the office
of the Republican from Dr. Hostetter, and one of their teachers, named Silvernail, and a printer student, named
Ladd, edited the paper a while, when it ceased to exist.
Mr. English kept his paper alive during the election campaign of 1860, during which time Volney Armour, Esq., was
its editor. Soon after the election, however, its light died out, and the Intelligencer became a part of the history
of the past.
The Carroll County Mirror was commenced in 1858, by Alexander Windle and I. V. Hollinger. Soon after the close
of the war, Windle & Hollinger sold out to Captain J. It Adair, who continued to publish the Mirror up to Sept.,
1874, when he sold out to Joseph F. Allison, county treasurer. On January 14, 1875, Mr. Allison sold the office
to W. D. Hughes and A. B. Hollinger. In a few months thereafter, Mr. Hughes, who was a practical printer, and who
had been foreman for Adair & Allison, bought out the interest of Mr. Hollinger, and has since continued to
manage the paper in the interest of the republican party. The Mirror is a very excellent news journal and advertising
medium. It maintains a large circulation, and is devoted largely to the local interests of the community in whose
midst it is published. Mr. Hughes is not only an industrious man, but a worthy representative of the "art
preservative" - a republican in whom there is neither variableness nor shadow of turning. He deserves and
should receive a largely remunerative support. Mr. Hughes has been ably assisted in his editorial duties since
Jan., 1877, by D. R. Frazier, Esq., a young man of more than ordinary ability and energy. September 4, 1875, Frank
A. Beeler, started the Mount Carroll News. This venture did not turn out well, and the 6th of April, 1876, the
establishment passed into the hands of J. William Mastin, who changed the name to the Herald, and hung out an independent
banner. At a later period, he issued a democratic pronunciamento, and gave the support of the Herald to the candidates
of that party, in 1876. January r, 1877, Mr. Mastin sold the office to Messrs. Hollinger & Sessions, who made
it republican in politics, and by whom it continues to be managed. The Herald is an eight column folio journal
and is managed with creditable ability. Mr. Hollinger is a practical printer of large experience, while Frank J.
Sessions, the editor, is a young man of brilliant promise for usefulness in the journalistic and political fields.
In all matters pertaining to the public good, the Herald is fearless and outspoken. Locally, it is spicy and vivacious.
The energy and enterprise of its management has commanded such respect as to secure for it a very large circulation,
which steadily increases with the Herald's age. Mr. Sessions commenced newspaper work as local editor of the Cedar
Rapids, Iowa, Daily Times. From that paper he went to the Weekly Times of the same city, so that he brought with
him to the Herald valuable experience. With Hollinger at the case, the make up, the press, the stone, and Sessions
to editorially shape the Herald's ends, the people of Carroll County have only themselves to blame if they do not
have a newspaper that would do credit to any county in the state.
Banking Interests. - In the Spring of 1853, Emanuel Stover and J. P. Emmert, under the firm name of E. Stover &
Co., commenced a brokerage business. They transacted a small exchange business up to some time in 1856, when the
firm was dissolved and the business discontinued.
The first banking house proper, was commenced by Dr. A. Hostetter, in 1855. Dr. Hostetter was a graduate of the
Pennsylvania Medical College, and came here in 1845, bringing with him a large stock of drugs, and opened the first
(exclusively) drug store in Mount Carroll, occupying a two story frame house on the site now occupied by the Minor
Block, the lumber for which was hauled from Galena. After his bank had been in operation about one year (in 1856),
he admitted a man named Riest as a partner, and the firm was known as Hostetter, Riest & Co. The business was
discontinued in 1863.
The third bank was started in the Fall of x856, by H. A. Mills and M. L. Hooker, under the firm name of Mills &
Hooker. It was called the Carroll County Bank. It was a private bank of exchange, and its transactions were confined
exclusively to that line of business. About 1860, Mr. Hooker retired, but the bank continued under the firm name
of H. A. Mills & Co., the "Co." being Mills' wife. This arrangement continued until April, 1864,
when it lost its individuality in the First National Bank.
This bank was organized April 2, 1864, with a capital of $50,000. James Mark, president; H. A. Mills, cashier,
and W. H. Long, teller. April 8, 1865, the capital was increased to $60,000, and in October of the same year to
January 11, 1870, D. Mackay was elected president, and H. Ashway vice president. January 10, 1871, the capital
was increased to $100,000. August 1874, H. Long was elected assistant cashier.
Present capital, $100,000; surplus, $20,000. The average deposits range from $50,000 to $60,000.
Present Officers. - D. Mackay, president; H. Ashway, vice president; 0. P. Miles, acting cashier; D. R. Miller,
teller; Miss R. E. Roberts, bookkeeper. Directors - D. Mackay, H. Ashway, Uriah Green and John Kridler.
Hotels. - The Chapman House, a stone building, is the oldest hotel building. It was built in 1844, and has been
so often mentioned in these pages that further mention is unnecessary. It is now owned by Mrs. James E. Taylor,
J. F. Chapman, lessee and manager.
The Pratt House was built about 1845 or 1846, by James O'Brien. The original building was not large - in keeping
with Mount Carroll's outlook at the time. In 1856, the present proprietor, A. L. Pratt, bought the property, and
about 1870 built an addition, increasing it to its present size and capacity.
The Jones House, in the Bank building, was opened in 1877 by A. Jones. For two years previous to this date, Mr.
Jones had occupied a part of the rooms now used as a hotel, as a restaurant and boarding house.
Mount Carroll was first incorporated under the general law of the state, in December, 1855. February 26, 1867,
the present city charter was granted. The first election under the new charter was held in April following. Nathaniel
Halderman was chosen mayor.
The temperance question was the dividing issue - license or anti license, The anti license ticket was elected by
33 majority. In 1868-9 the license people controlled a majority of the votes, and saloons were opened. In 1870-1-2
the anti license people gained a majority, and the saloons were closed. In 1873-4 the license party again triumphed,
and saloons were permitted. Again, in 1875-6-7, the anti license people came to the front, and the saloons were
compelled to close up.
Charles Phillips is the present mayor.
Suspension Bridge. - Straddle Creek - Carroll Creek to ears polite - cuts a deep channel from east to west, through
the northern part of the city. On the north side of it are handsome residence grounds, and when they began to extend
out that way where the deep, rock bound channel cuts off a near approach from the business part of town, the residents
over there were forced to go down Main Street via the mill, cross the creek below the mill dam, and then climb
a bluffy pathway to their homes. When J. F. Allison became circuit clerk, and settled over there, he proposed to
remedy the inconvenience, and inaugurated measures that secured the building of a suspension foot bridge. Together
with Mr. M. A. Fuller and H. C. Blake, they raised means, these three men providing the most of it, and built the
footway, shortening the distance between business and their homes nearly half a mile. The bridge is 267 feet long,
40 feet above the water, 4 feet wide, and is suspended by two galvanized iron wire cables one and a half inches
in diameter. Its original cost was about $800. It is kept in repair by private subscriptions, assisted in part
by the city.
Market Fair. - A monthly market fair association was organized in the early Fall of 1877, and the first fair held
on the 15th of December, which was a very fair success, both in point of numbers in attendance, stock shown, etc.