This village of three hundred people is located in the southeast corner of Wysox Township, a township of land
scarcely surpassed any where in the country for its general adaptation to farming purposes. The original village
plot was laid out May 19, 1850, and entered of record by Knox and Wheeler. Philander Seymour was the surveyor.
Oscar Freeman's addition was laid out February 7, 1854, and was surveyed by L. S. Thorp. The land on which the
village is situated was patented by Adam L. Knox. Adam Knox built a flour and grist mill here (on Rock Creek) as
early as 1839, and A. H. H. Perkins opened a store in 1843, and a postoffice was established in 1844, with Jacob
McCourtie as postmaster. A P. Barnes was the first tailor, and John Campbell was the first blacksmith. There are
now two dry goods stores, two drug stores. a foundry and machine shop, three blacksmith shops, a good carriage
shop, etc., a good hotel, and a very handsome Methodist Church edifice. During the last year (1877), a handsome
and substantial school building (frame) was erected, at a cost of between $6,000 and $7,000. In the Summer of 1876,
a substantial iron bridge, King's patent, was built across Rock Creek, at a cost to the township of $2,000.
In every respect, Milledgeville is a very desirable and attractive village. The people are intelligent, courteous
and hospitable. The farms around are in good condition, the farmers wide awake and full of energy, and evidences
of thrift and comfort are apparent on every hand.
Milledgeville M. E. Church. - The first class meeting was held in James McCreedy's barn, about three quarters of
a mile southwest of Milledgeville, on the farm now owned by Aug. Moeller. The members of this class were as follows:
Joseph Allison, Rebecca Allison, Isaac Marker, John T. DeGroff, Lucinda DeGroff, James and Polly McCreedy, Isaac
Mason, Fisher and Jane G. Allison, Dorcas Estabrook, and about three others, whose names the writer was unable
to ascertain. Of these, only four are now living - Fisher and Jane G. Allison, Rebecca Allison and Dorcas Estabrook.
On the 19th of February, 1855, Chester Olmsted and George W. Harris started to Chicago to buy lumber for the church
building, which was put up by George W. Harris, and was completed at a cost of $3,500; was dedicated February 8,
1866; sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Hitchcock.
Names of pastors: Revs. A. M. Early, Isaac Searles, R. L. Averill, B. C. Rawler W. P. Jones, B. H. Cartright, Boyd
Low, M. Decker, M. Bourne, M. Hannah, Z. D. Paddock, S. Guyer, O. Hutchins, A. W. McCausland, F. R. Mastin, M.
L. Rice, James Willing, Joseph Wardell, G. W. Perry, R., Brotherton, A. P. Hatch, J. T. Cooper, and C. E. Smith,
The first school taught in Milledgeville was taught in a private house, by Miss Miriam Whitney, daughter of old
Dr. Whitney, of Belvidere, in the Summer or Fall of 1847.
The first school house built under the school law was built in 1852, costing about $400.
The present school building was built the past year. The contract was let June 16, 1877. It contains four rooms,
and is a fine, commodious building, costing about $6,000.