History of Brown Township, Il.
From: J. S. Lothrop's Champaign County Directory
With History of the same, and Each Township Therein
Published by: Rand, McNally & Co., Printers & Binders, Chicago 1871
This Township is situate in the extreme north-west corner of the county, occupying Town 22, Range 7 east It
is bounded on the east by East Bend, on the north by Ford county, on the west by McLean county, and on the south
by Newcomb township. It is a high., beautiful tract of land, well adapted to mixed husbandry, as well as being
a most excellent stockraising locality. The Sangamon, which rises just north in the county above, passes through
this territory, and it is further watered by a tributary of the same, which traverses the town its entire length
from west to east. The prairies are gently undulating, possessing all those rare qualities of soil for which the
county generally is so remarkable, yielding rich reward to the farmer for his care and labor.
The first entry of land in this township was made by Henry B. King, in 1835, being the south-east quarter of
the south-east quarter of Section 4, Town 22, Range 7 east. Mr. King was also the first settler in this township.
He came here about the year 1834, and for many years was the only man living there. One Mr. Pitts came shortly
afterwards and built a log cabin farther down the stream, hut left soon and returned whence he came. Mr. King sold
his place about the year 1839, to one Wm. Brown, from whom the town derived its name, it being supposed that he
was the first settler. We have not been able to learn with certainty how long he lived there. For a long time the
only means of crossing the Sangamon river in that vicinity, was by a floating bridge, which was constructed and
kept in repair by Mr. King, near the confluence of the Sangamon and its western tributary in that township.