As a town, is new in the history of the county, having been organized in 1869, by taking Town 21, Range 14 west,
and 21, Range 11 east, from Kerr, and the four eastern tiers of sections from Town 21, Range 10 east, belonging
to Rantoul, putting them together. It is bounded on the east by Vermillion county, on the north by Kerr and Ludlow,
on the west by Rantoul, and on the south by Stanton.
This is a prairie town, having but one small body of wood land within its borders. It contains 48 square miles
of that deep, rich loam surface, that in the experience of our best agriculturists is by far the best adapted to
mixed husbandry. While forest trees are not formed there naturally, yet when planted they grow rapidly, and the
farmer has the advantage of having his trees where they best suit his fancy. There is no tree adapted to the soil
and climate of Illinois that will not thrive upon the prairies, and there is no labor that the busbandman may engage
in, that will yield so rich return. Fruits of all kinds flourish, and repay well the care bestowed upon them.
This town, like many others in the county, has not possessed the advantages flowing from railroad facilities. By
reference to the map it will be seen that this hindrance to prosperity will soon be removed, as a road now in course
of construction traverses the township from south-west to north-east, dividing the same nearly in half, This road
has arranged connections with the Chicago, Danville & Vicennes Railroad, by which a route to Chicago is opened.
The first settler known was Isaac Moore, who located at Buck Grove about the year 1830, and made improvements.
In 1835 he sold out to one Bruffett, who came from Ohio. It is said of him, that after having completed his purchases
of land, he killed a hog, and with his family became deeply engaged in eating it. This done, he took a survey of
his possessions with a view to finding a suitable location where to unload his wagon, bat not finding a place that
pleased him for that purpose, he changed front, and immediately returned to Ohio without unloading.
The next actual settler was Caleb Everson, who immigrated to the township from Ohio in 1842, locating at Buck Grove.
Here he made valuable improvements, and died upon his farm in August, 1865, at 64 years of age. His son, Caleb
P. Everson, is now the oldest settler in the town. He was born in Ohio, June, 1826, and came to this county with
his father in 1842. His farm at Buck Grove is well worth going to see. It contains 900 acres and all under cultivation;
watered by an artesian well, which throws a continuous stream of pure water two inches in diameter, discharging
at least 10,000 gallons per day. If this were all that could be found upon this well ordered farm, the proprietor
would deserve the thanks of the agriculturists of the county in demonstrating the fact that broad prairies, thr
from living streams, present no barriers to successful stock raising and feeding; water, the one grand essential,
may be brought to the spot required.
The first entry of land in this township was made by Robert Wyatt, being the east half of the north-east quarter
of Section 4, Town 21, Range 14 west, November 10, 1834.
The next were by two persons on the same day, June 9, 1853, Wm. S. Prentice entering the north-east quarter
of Section 31, Town 21, Range 11 east, and John McFarland entering the entire Section 23; Town 21, Range 10 east.
In 1856, one Joseph McCormick, from Virginia, entered a section of land in the north part of the township. This
he improved, residing upon his land until the year 1864, when he sold out and moved to Kansas.
John L. Lester was the next settler; he was born in Oneida Co., New York, in May, 1827, and came to this county
in 1859. His business before coming here was that of a locomotive engineer. He can tell of many exciting incidents
and hair-breadth adventures while in this business. He had charge of the engine which drew the excursion train,
containing President Fillmore and his cabinet, over the Erie road in celebrating its completion. He is now pleasantly
located upon a fine, well cultivated farm of 320 acres, situated about six miles east of Rantoul village. His improvements
are of a substantial character, and calculated for mixed husbandry. He was the first Supervisor from his town,
being succeeded by Mr. Geo. W. Francis, who recently moved to the town from LaSalle county, but whose farm gives
evidence of superior planning, and- promises richly for the future.
Another farmer of note is Hamilton Fairchild, who owns nearly a section, cultivating the cereals usually grown,
as well as keeping stock.
One Frank White came into the county in 1860, and purchased a farm of 640 acres, which be has since been improving.
He is a practical farmer, conducting the affitirs of his farm in a business way, reducing the labor in all its
branches to a system that places the work in the control of the man, and not the man controled by the work.