Was taken from the east end of Newcomb Township, in 1867. It is bounded on the east by Rantoul, on the north
by East Bend, on the west by Newcomb, and on the south by Hensley, and occupies Town 21, Range 8 east.
Among the towns of the county, few possess greater natural advantages than this. Along the southern border the
prairies are high and rolling, while in other portions of the township, the prairies, though undulating, are more
on the level order, giving that variety of prairie soil and surface seldom found within the space of six miles
square. This variety of conditions of soil secures a variety of farm productions, without the necessity of mixed
farming, each farm having its specialty.
The first settlers in this township were A. Crozier and F. Loyd, who came there about the same time, in 1834, from
Ohio. Their improvements were very crude, not extending beyond the log hut and breaking a little prairie. They
were brought out by one John Phillipe in 1837, who came from Ohio. Mr. Phillipe was a wide-awake farmer, entering
upon the work of reducing the native wilderness to a state of civilization, with an earnest zeal and determined
effort. He was born in the State of Virginia, and located, in this town in 1837, as before stated, upon the farm
now occupied by John Phillipe, Jr. He died in the year 1846, upon the farm where he had thus early located, leaving
to his children, and the farmers of the county, the lagacy of a spotless reputation, and illustrations of his practical
farming. John Phillipe, Jr., who came into the town ship at the same time with his father, in 1837, still lives
on the old homestead on section 31. His farm to-day contains about 1,300 acres of choice land, most admirably adapted
to stock growing, to which purpose it is devoted. Mr. Phillipe is another of those agriculturists who may be classed
as business men, that is, conducting the affairs of the farm as a safe merchant does that of his store, keeping
close accounts Of expenditure and income, and his success shows that his mistakes are few. John Phillips, a M.
E. preacher, settled, or rather stopped, in the township, upon the place of Mr. Orozier, in 1837, and moved into
Hensley the same year, to give place to Mr. Phillipe, who had purchased the farm.
Stephen Pusey was the next settler. He came from Ohio and settled in Condit, in 1839, and, with the few that were
there engaged in agriculture, commenced the life of a pioneer. He died upon his farm about 1847.
C. F. Columbia was the next settler within the town. He came from Indiana in the year 1842, and entered upon the
work of improving a farm under the discouraging circumstances of that early day. He remained here until 1853, when
he removed to the place now occupied by him in Champaign.
From the date of the last settlement until 1855 there were very few additions to the population of Condit, and
the only addition in wealth was what was extracted from the soil by the determined efforts of its hardy inhabitants.
In 1836 one William Lenington came to the township from Ohio, and like many others, commenced life on the wild
prairie, and, while gold and silver he had none, yet, what was better, he brought to the work a sound judgment,
and a thoroughly practical mind, backed by untiring energy. His farm now contains about 300 acres of choice land,
enriched by valuable, substantial improvements. He has for the last three years successively been elected supervisor
of the town, showing that those who know him best appreciate his worth.
A. B. Condit and John Condit, both came from Ohio, and settled there in 1856. They were at that time possessed
of some means which they employed in the improvement of their lands, and the advancement of the science of agriculture.
In this they did much to advance the interest of the farming community of the county, and to place the work of
the agriculturist where it belongs,- flrst in rank among the vocations of men. Mr. A. B. Condit was the first to
represent his town in the Board of Supervisors, and his name was given to the new town.
Henry and Luther Putnam, also from Ohio, settled in the township, about the same time, and are among its substantial
These, with many others whom we might name, such as E. N. Parker, A. Gulick, M E. Nelson, W. H. Banner, and others,
are furnishing convincing proofs of the rapid progress made in cultivating the soil within the past ten years.
The first entry of land in this township, was by James W. S. Mitchell, in April, 1835, the records showing that
he entered Lot 2 of the north-west quarter of Section 5, Town 21, Range 8 east.