EAST BEND TOWNSHIP
Is bounded on the east by Ludlow, on the north by Ford county, on the west by Brown, and on the south by Condit;
and occupies the Congressional Township of 22, Range 8 east. The Sangamon river enters the town from the west,
and after winding through the same to nearly its center, bends away to. the south-west, and passes out near the
south-west corner of the township, forming in its course an extensive bend, from which the town derives its name.
The character of the soil is of a deep rich loam, exhaustless in fertility and productive wealth. For the most
part, the land is well adapted to the mixed style of farming practiced so extensively and so profitably in the
county generally; yet there are very many farms most admirably calculated solely for stock raising, or feeding.
The presence of the Sangamon river flowing through the town, with the heavy body of timber growing upon its banks,
presents rare advantages for this class of husbandry, of which the enterprising farmers of the town are rapidly
The first settler in the township of whom there is any knowledge, was Joseph Neweomb, who came to the county from
Kentucky in 1831, and settled upon Section 32 of this town, the place now being known as Neweomb’s Ford. There
is some doubt about the name of this man; some have given it as John Newcomb, a larger number as Joseph Newcomb,
while the records show that one Ethan Newcomb, in 1835, entered the land where that ford is, and where Mr. Neweomb
resided. We have, however, called him Joseph Neweomb, as the weight ol testimony is that way.
The next settler was one Byer, who settled in the north. western portion of the township in 1836. He was from Ohio,
but how long he stayed, or where he went, we have been unable to learn; and for this reason we conclude that he
must have left the county at an early day.
F. Dobson came from Kentucky and located in the town in 1837, and improved a farm. He also must have left early,
as little is known of him.
The first entry of land in the town was by Ethan Newcomb, in September, 1835, being the west half of the south-west
quarter of Section 32, Township 22, Range 8 east.
Among the substantial men of the town, is J. G. Campbell, who came to the town at an early day, and improved a
farm. He has done much to advance the prosperity of the town in which he lives, and the county in general, and
possesses in a very high degree the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens. He has four times been placed
upon the Board of Supervisors as the choice of his townsmen, showing how fully the man is appreciated by those
by whom he is best known. His farming operations give evidence of careful study of the science of agriculture;
and in this he is doing a great work among his co-workers of the soil.
Isaac B. Devore, also an old settler and successful farmer of the township, has done, and is still doing, much
in developing the wealth of the country. It is the mission of such men as Mr. Devore, and many others we might
name, to demonstrate the fact, that successful farming depends upon a careful study of the business, and that while
money without brains may bring additional wealth, brains, even without money, will with greater certainty bring
success. Mr. Devore was the first Supervisor from that town.
W. H. Swayze, A. P. Johnson, Isaiah Ferris, V. Suitor, A. W. Hyde, Phillip Hummel, the Harnets, and others, are
all excellent farmers, working with energy and skill in bringing the hidden treasures of the prairie to light,
to serve the interests of man.