keywords: gardening composting planting corn history chicago
This town is bounded on the east by Somers, on the north by Condit, on the west by Mahomet, and on the south,
by Champaign, aud occupies Town 20, Range 8 east. Its organization dates from 1867, when it was taken from the
then township of West Urbana. Mr. A. P. Hensley was its first Supervisor, and the new town received his name.
The entire township, with the exception of a small portin in the north-west corner, lies upon the prairie, and
is beyond dispute, one of the finest tracts of land in the State. A high ridge runs through the town from south-east
to north-west, while the land upon either side gently rolls away to the north and south, presenting.that rich wavy
appearance to the prairie so attractive to the agriculturist. In all this rich country, no better lands may be
found for the purpose of mixed cultivation, that style of farming now followed by nearly all of our best farmers.
The first settler in this township was one Robert Childreth, who settled in the north-west corner of the town about
the year 1834. He did not stay there long, and it is not known where he came from or where he went.
Isaac and Jacob Hammer were the next. They came from Indiana, and settled near where Mr. Childreth did, in 1836,
and entered at once upon the work of subduing the wilderness. Childreth built the first house, and the Hammers
the next. In 1837, one John Philips, who had the same year stopped in Condit, came to this town and settled, it
is thought, upon the old Childreth place. This man shortly after sold out to one Fountain Busey, from Kentucky.
Mr. Philips then went to the little "ville" of Byron, in the grove north of Urbana, and subsequently
removed, taking his house with him, to the town ship of Champaign, being the first settler there. In 1842, Mr.
Hezekiah Phillipe, who, in 1837, had settled with his father in Condit, purchased the interest of Mr. Fountain
Busey in the land before mentioned, and made there his permanent home. There he has lived and prospered; has seen
the county grow and thrive, and by intelligent industry, has added piece by piece to his valuable farm, until it
has reached nearly 2,000 acres. This magnificent farm is in the best possible state of cultivation, and is unquestionably
one of the best stock farms in the country. Large barns, a roomy, comfortable residence, with extensive orchards
of splendid fruit, together with the genial and ever welcoming countenance of its owner, are among the attractions
of this place.
The first entry of land was made by Fielden Loyd, who entered the west half of the north-west quarter of Section
6, Town 20, Range 8 east, in February, 1836.
Prominent in the town, is A. P. Hensley, from Kentucky. He was, as before stated, the first Supervisor. He has
a large farm, of about 300 acres, which he has brought to an advanced state of cultivation, and has made farming
a success; while others, under more favorable circumstances, have failed.
James. R. Scott, from Kentucky, settled in this town in 1857, and is not only one of the prominent men of the town,
but of the county and State. His farm, of something over 1,000 acres of choice land, is one of the best in the
State, and is devoted by its owner to the production of fine breeds of stock. There are few men whose judgment
upon cattle could be called superior to that of Mr. Scott. He is also a thorough, practical farmer, carrying through
all his work a spirit of euthusiasm, betokening a love for and devotion to his vocation, showing how well he understands
and appreciates the high calling. He has recently been honored with an appointment from the Governor, of trustee
of the Illinois Industrial University.
Henry To Aspern, from Germany, is another wide-awake farmer, doing his farming in a business way, bringing to his
aid all the information that he has been able to obtain from others, supported by practical common sense.
J. A. Bellenger, D. T. Brown, Moses Burwell, Sam'l Shaw, Charles Miner, H. C. Lyons, Jas. M. Graham, Jesse Cloyd,
Wiley Buckler, and many others of the township, are an honor to the agricultural world and the county in which