Is bounded on the east by Hensley, on the north by Newcomb, on the west by Piatt county, and on the south by
Scott, and is otherwise described as being Township 20, Range 7 east. The Sangamon river, the largest stream in
the county, passes in its winding way through nearly the center of the town, from the north-east to the south-west,
supplying an abundant power for mill purposes, as well as for the various purposes of agriculture. The lands, like
that of all its sister towns, are gently undulating, and characterized by its deep, rich, loamy soil; though in
this town more of a variety exists than in many others.
The first entry of land made in this town was by Isaac Busey, in October, 1832, he entering the E. of the S. E.
Sec. 15, Town 20, Range 7; also, N. W- Sec. 23, Town. 20, R. 7.
The name, until March, 1871, was Middletown, then changed to Mahomet, the name of the post office and village.
The first settler in the town was one Thompson, who settled upon what is now called the Joe Bryant farm, in 1830.
It is not known where he was from. He died and was buried there in 1832, the first death in the town. Jonathan
Maxwell was the next corner. He came from Indiana, and settled here in 1832, and commenced the improvement of a
farm, now owned by Wiley Davis. He died in 1845, and the heirs sold the farm and improvements to Wiley Davis, the
present owner. The Maxwell boys are still living in the township, successful farmers, an honor to society, and
possessing the confidence and esteem of extensive acquaintances. Henry Osborn, also from Indiana, settled here
in 1832, and commenced the improvement of a farm, but sold out in 1836, and left the State.
John G. Robertson also came in 1832, from the State of Kentucky, and improved the farm where he now resides. He
is now 77 years of age, has seen all that there is of this county, from the unbroken wilds of the prairie and the
timber, all along through the years of growth and improvement, to the richly promise-laden hours of the present.
He has seen this, we say; aye, more, he has helped to make it; and to him and his associates, who braved the discomforts
of early life, are we indebted for the comforts and privileges of to-day.
Fielding L. Scott settled there in 1835, upon the land now owned and occupied by him. This he improved, and added
to it, until he had over 640 acres of excellent land, under a high state of cultivation. Subsequently, however,
as age advanced, Mr. Scott divided his lands among his children, settling them near about him, reserving to himself
the old homestead, where he commenced his life's work thirty-six years ago. Two of his sons are prosperous merchants
in the flourishing village of Mahomet, hard by the old home.
In 1835 the road from the Sangamon to Urbana, traveled by the early settlers, was of so circuitous a character,
that Mr. Scott, who was compelled to travel it often, concluded to straighten it; and aeccordingly took his horses
and plow, and drew a furrow from the Sangamon to Urbana, a distance of twelve miles, and by this direct line a
new road was made, which finally became the well known Bloomington road, now the highway from Champaign to the
One Daniel T. Porter entered the land where the village of Mahomet now stands, and at once laid off the village,
in 1836. Mr. Porter erected a hotel, and also kept a small variety store. This place for very many years made but,
little advancement, but as the country about it increased in population, it became a place of importance; as, however,
there were no railroad facilities, its improvement was slow. In 1869, the. I., B. & W. Railroad was completed
through the, place, since which time its advancement has been remarkable. The energies of its citizens were aroused,
and no prophecy is necessary to inform those who see this "ville," of the beautiful flourishing town
to come. It is most beautifully situated in thick groves of forest, trees, on the banks of the Sangamon river,
which at this place is capable of being turned into an immense power for manufacturing purposes. The population
of the village is 670, a large portion of which has come to. the place within the last three years. They have three
fine churches, and a graded school, one of the best conducted in the county, with mercantile houses of all kinds,
and manufactories in all branches of industry, while the business men are wide-awake and energetic.,
In 1836, one A. Crozier, from Condit, erected a small mill here, which, after changing hands many times, was washed
away by the floods in 1867; and John Humes erected on the site of the old one, one of the best and most complete
flouring mills in the county. Just below this mill, a beautiful iron bridge spans the river, reflecting credit
upon the enterprise of the citizens.
Wiley Davis, who came to the town in 1847, has a fine farm of 900 acres of well cultivated land, which bears testimony
to the energy and well directed labor of its owner.
James W. Fisher came from Ohio, and settled upon land in this town in 1849. His farm (now containing 500 acres)
is a model, every part of which shows that a man of superior judgment and energy is at the helm.
John R. Rayborn, from Ohio in 1852, with a farm of about 400 acres, has no superior in the land as an agriculturist.
The secret of his success, as well as the many of this town we could name, lies in the fact that they bring to
their vocation an enthusiastic love for it, and do not (as is the case with too many) engage in farming, because
they have not the means or ability to do anything else. The fact ought. to be known, that the man who has not the
ability to engage in other employments, is utterly unfit to farm, that business requiring more real intelligent
brain-work than any other known.