This town is bounded on the east by Condit, on the north by Brown, on the west by the counties of McLean and
Piatt, and on the south by Mahomet; being Town 21, Range 7 east. The Sangamon river traverses the eastern portion
of the town, and it is further watered by one its tributaries from the north-east, and one from the west, dividing
the town in nearly the center; while about the Sangarnon, at the confluence of these streams, is the largest and
finest body of timber found on that stream, in its course through the county. The land in this township is all
that could be desired for farming purposes, and especially is it adapted to stock husbandry. Its well watered condition,
with the fertility and strength of its soils, producing abundantly of grasses and cereals, especially commends
it to the cattle grower or feeder.
The first settler was James W. S. Mitchell, who came to the county about 1834 from Kentucky, and located at what
is now called Pancake Point He was the first to bring blooded stock into the county.
About the same time came A. and William Pancake, from Ohio, and settled near Mr. Mitchell. We are unable to learn
how long Mr.. Mitchell remained in the county, or where he went. The Pancakes remained and improved farms, giving
the itame to the place of their location, as before stated. One Harnspeeker came into the town in 1835, but went
away in 1837. In 1836, Mr. J. T. Everett, from Kentucky, came to the township, but did not move his family until
1811. At that time, the only settlements in that section of the county were at Pancake Point; in the Phillipe neighborhood,
and Jas. Newcomb (for whom this town is named), then in East Bend, and King, in Brown; and the country did not
change rapidly until 1856.
Mr. Everett was the first to have a "house raising" without the usual allowance of whisky, as was the
custom in those days. His example was followed by others, and the old custom of strong drink at places where undisturbed
nerve is required, was finally. abolished. In 1859, Mr. Everett moved to Champaign, where he has since resided.
Mr. William Pancake planted the first orchard in the township.
Among the prominent men in this township, and we may add of the county, is John Thrasher, who settled here at an
early day, and lent all his energies in reducing the then wild regions to fit habitations for men. He is a most
excellent and accurate surveyor, and for many years held the office of county surveyor, elected by the people without
regard to party, and against his desires, as he preferred the quiet of his home, the improvement of his farm, to
any office that eould be given him. He also held the office of supervisor of his town the two first terms. He is
a thorough farmer, and a substantial citizen.
G. W. Harwood, Geo. S. Walker, Hiram Trotter, H. F. Corner, and many others of the town, are doing grand work in
advancing the interests of the agriculturist, in bringing his calling up from the depths in public estimation,
to which it has so long been consigned, to that point where it belongs-first among the vocations of men.
The first land entered in the town, was by James W. S. Mitchell, in October, 1834-the south-west Sec. 23, Town
21, Range 7.