Is bounded on the east by Crittenden, on the north by Tolono, on the west by Sadorus, and on the south by Douglas
county; being Town 17, Range 8. This, too, is most1y prairie, though the timber of the Kaskaskia on the west barely
brushes the edge of the town. We cannot speak of high locations and commanding sites here, though we can of exhaustless
treasures hidden in the dark bosom of its soil, which the thrifty framers of the township are yearly extracting.
We have traveled far in this and other States, and we do not hesitate to pronounce the tract of land included within
the boundaries of this town, the equal of any, and vastly superior to many of similar proportions that we have
seen in our rambles. The contour of the surface is gently rolling, and while this point is nearly the lowest in
the county, the lands are not flat, there being ample drainage to bear off the surplus water. The soil in its strength
yields abundantly and richly to the efforts of the husbandman.
The first entry of land in this town was by Henry Sadorus, Jan. 8th, 1836, he entering the west half of the south-west
quarter of Section 6 Town 17, Range 8, the place where Sadorus village now stands. The first settler, as best we
have been able to learn, was Squire Lee, who came from Kentucky, in 1850, and settled on Section 31. This he improved
and sold to Paul Holliday, and purchased another farm in Section 30, of 320 acres, which he has brought to a high
state of cultivation, with substanial buildings, and all those surroundings that go to make up the home of a thrifty,
intelligent, agriculturist. Mr. Lee is extensively known and respected, a genial, warm-hearted man, receiving and
deserving the respect of his acquaintances. Thomas Johnson is said to have been the next settler, and is also from
Kentucky, and improved a farm on Section 29. He left the county some time since and went to Iowa.
Among the prominent farmers of the town we mention Henry Nelson, who settled in the town about 1856, and commenced
the improvement of a farm, bringing to his aid a sound, practical judgemant, and so vigorously has he prosecuted
his work, that, though he commenced with nothing save a vigorous constitution, and a determined purpose, he now
has one of the best improved farms in this section of the State, containing onehalf section of land. The improvements
are substantial and valuable.
David Cooper, also, from small beginnings, by dint of industry, and well directed effort, has accumulated a
fortune since his settlement here in 1862. The secret is, constant application of labor in the right place. Josiah
Merritt, S. S. Baldwin, William and Henry R. Nelson, Christopher Batterman, not forgetting "Bachelor Bill"
the Supervisor, John Darrah, A. J. Foster, and many others, are thorough practical farmers, and doing grand good
service in the agricultural world. C. B. Carpenter, also, has a most magnificent farm, thoroughly improved, with
all of the neatness, beauty and comfort one could desire.
John Davis is also deserving of special mention, being a farmer of rare merit, cultivating his lands in a way that
evinces constant thought and study.
The village is a neat little collection of houses on the I. C. R. R. not large; it is true, but making up in energy
what is lacking in numbers. The principal business establishment is that of Mr. Cox, dry goods merchant He is a
live man in every respect, studying well his business, and attending strictly to the same. His first work in the
county was on a farm, where, as in the store, he was successful. He commenced trading with a small capital, but
has steadily increased, until now his large, well stocked store would do credit to any town in the State. Pesotum
boasts one of the best schools in the county, taught by Mr. Sandusky.
Dr. J. Oatley, a physician of more than ordinary merit, has a large and increasing practice. He came from Ohio,
and settled here in 1868, yet in that short time has proved that he has few peers in his profession. There are
many others, in connection with this enterprising village, of whom we should be pleased to speak, but the want
of space forbids, and we must leave them, regretting, that from inability and the want of room, we have not been
able to do them justice.